Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Humpy, rough, unlevel lawn

Options
  • 29-08-2021 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭

Hi, we've a large field/garden which we've decided to let go back to nature bar a cemi-circular with a new willow hedge area we're keeping as lawn near the back door. This retained area of lawn is about 25 metres in diameter but is in very poor condition. Moss and weeds are prolific and it's rough, undulating and stoney.

I mowed it today and there's higher areas where the mower scalps all the grass off, then sunken places where its awkward to even cut.

I want to level the lawn off without having to start from scratch i.e. rotevating.

What are the best methods and materials for achieving this without to much hassle?

Post edited by Deregos. on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,073 ✭✭✭✭looksee

At the easiest end of the scale, either ignore the scalps, or scrape a bit more off them, and let them just grow new grass, which they will. Put some reasonable top soil into the hollows, firm down and leave them likewise - you could put a bit of grass seed on them if you wish, but they will grow over in time. If there is any matted grass from having been rescued from field take a rake to it and clear it out, then just keep mowing it, not too short. Don't worry about the weeds, the bigger stuff will give up after mowing a few times. If there are any stubborn things like docks or big thistles you could dig them out with a trowel and fill in the hole. The smaller stuff like clover, self heal, daisies etc are just 'green' and will make the whole thing more interesting and ecology friendly. Give it a feed in the spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,478 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

FeW things spring to mind.

looks as if the mower is cutting deeper on one side than the other, could be a problem with deck or soft wheel on one side.

the lawn is being cut far too short, maybe that’s a once off but I wouldn’t be cutting it that short regularly

if it’s not a large area you can get lawn sand and rake it over it, really fine top soil would do either

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Deregos.

"could be a problem with deck or soft wheel on one side."

Well spotted, you're right, I just had a look and one of the rear wheels on the mower is punctured and only half inflated.

Thank you both for your input, I'm going to order some fine top soil and rake it over the whole area. Should I add grass seed then roll it or is there any need?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,728 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Dump a load of sand on it and spread it smooth. The grass will soon grow up through it and it will become fixed and consolidated and over time, the new ground level will be smooth.

Advertisement