Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Advice on Wild Camping - Wicklow Mountain National Park

Options
  • 27-08-2021 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭

Hi All,

Sorry for what may appear basic and unknowledgeable questions but any and all advice will be helpful.

Myself and my wife are novice (Have not camped before) and are really interested in driving the car to a car park in the wicklow mountains and doing a short hike to near some waterway that we could set up camp for the night and then hike back out.

From reading online and here it appears this is all legal, no campfires etc.

We would be looking for some place secure, but private. Is this something that sounds crazy or relatively easy to do?

We have a pretty basic tent and supplies etc. and will be looking to leave no trace so what we bring in we will bring out.

Has anyone any advice on best place to park the car and hike up? Not looking for a huge hike, relatively short as we are beginner campers I would prefer to stay within a short enough walk of the car in case we need to leave sooner than expected etc.

We are Wicklow Town based and would be looking to do this in October.

Again any tips, locations or advice would be great.

Thanks in Adavnce

G

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭HerrKapitan

Perhaps the beach on Lough Dan? You can park near the scout centre. You can find the location description in the camping location thread above.

Since its October, and your first time I would recommend Riverhollow camping just north of New Ross. Its a private forrested campsite but is the next best thing to wild camping. You can have a fire, and there is a tap and compost toilets onside.

It removes the worry about your car. And it has relatively private spots and the owner is strict on anti-social behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

There's no camping on the beach at lough dan anymore due to assholes wrecking the place. While the beach is in the national park access is permitted through private land. Also you cannot park at the scout centre and leave your car there over night.

OP if you value your car do not park it overnight anywhere in the Wicklow mountains. The Wicklow hills have become a bit of a no go anymore as social media has shown every clown the areas to go to.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭beveragelady

Nothing in the world could ever induce me to camp or leave a car unattended in those parts again. In about 2006 we parked carefully and came back to find both cars written off. Nothing taken. Responses from the local guard and the passer-by we asked for assistance were chilling. Very much along the lines of 'you should have known better.' We were really stuck, phones dead and a long way from home, cars undrivable. In a million years I wouldn't refuse to somebody who asked me for help in a situation like that but we were met with blank uncooperative stares in Roundwood.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Park in Laragh and walk back up the wicklow way, Roundwood direction, there are some camping spots about 15min from the village along side the trail

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

as in the local landowners have put up some signs saying no entry?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

Pretty much. He's allowing access to hikers but if he sees anyone camping there he'll likely have a word. I can't blame him to be honest, some amount of arseholes goin up there.

and is the other camping spot up the hill beside the river ok?

I'm not sure I generally tend to avoid the area and that spot in particular as it attracts all sorts of social media "wild" campers due to ease of access.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

They're usually people that don't really like the outdoors or camping but like to make it appear as if they do in order to post pictures to social media. They can typically be found on the likes of facebook wild camping pages and instagram and are known to be entitled arseholes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Riverhollow is the place to go. https://www.facebook.com/riverhollowwildcamping/ Leave Wicklow to the drunk teenagers and crafty stealth campers until you have more experience under your belt and are sure you are up for wild camping.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Wicklow area looks kaiboshy due to proximity to Dublin. If a place draws the crowds rules and regulation will follow.

Advertisement