Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus routes from Smithfield to Pearse Street

Options
  • 27-08-2021 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi all, I've recently moved to Smithfield, Dublin, having come from a much smaller town where one bus serves one route so I'm a little confused about the system here. From Google maps I see buses 26, 66, 66B, 66E, and 67 all go from Smithfield (Arran Quay) to Merrion Square, where I can then walk to my destination in Pearse Street. Checking further on the Dublin Bus website, there's an even greater list going towards Merrion Square from this set-off point (copied and pasted):

25 Towards Merrion Sq.

25a Towards Merrion Sq.

25b Towards Merrion Sq.

25d Towards Merrion Sq.

26 Towards Merrion Sq.

66 Towards Merrion Sq.

66a Towards Merrion Sq.

66b Towards Merrion Sq.

66e Towards Merrion Sq.

67 Towards Merrion Sq.

So am I right in saying, if I get on any of these buses I will have a single route to Merrion Square i.e. no changing of buses?

Also, a smaller question of importance but just out of curiosity, what is with the naming system of buses here? Why is there an A, B, D, etc and not simply 21, 22, 23, and so on.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭StreetLight

You are right - any of those buses will get you to where you need to go.

Suffixes of a route number usually denote a bus has come from a specific area within a general location. For example, the 25 group of routes originate from the general area of Lucan, but the suffixes serve specific locations within the general area. They mostly combine further along the route into a spine. You are fortunate in Smithfield to be able to access many of those routes along the spine.

The numbering system will change over the next few years due to the BusConnects project, using letters to denote a spine and number suffixes to denote a branch off a spine. For example C1, C2, C3 etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Put your exact locations & relevant dates & times into http://www.a-b.ie & tweak the settings. Under "Trip options" & "Public transport" make sure you have selected an appropriate "Maximum walking time" & "consider nearby stops".

Note that it is a walkable distance. Alternatively, you can use a DublinBike. https://www.dublinbikes.ie/ Just be aware that the city centre can be intimidating for cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Augme

Have you considered using Dublin bikes? Barring the €30 yearly subscription it wouldn't cost you anything and would be just as quick as the bus and walk from Merrion.

The other alternative is to just walk from Smithfield. It's still a fairly short walk. Paying for two journeys per day to get from smithfield to Pearse street and to only be left at Merrion square seems crazy tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 mezzanine08

Thanks all. I actually have my own bike and plan to cycle, I was curious about bus routes for rainy days and such.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭john boye

Some of those Lucan Road routes are changing terminus to Ringsend soon so will go down Pearse Street to get there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

The 145 will leave you on D’Olier St either, which is just at the end of Pearse St, beside the Garda Station.

Alternatively get the Luas to Abbey St and stroll over (you could change to the Green Line at Marlborough and go on to Trinity, again leaving you beside the Garda Station, but it wouldn’t be worth the waiting time).

I agree cycling is your best option. You’ve a nice cycle route along the quays. Depending where you’re going on Pearse St, you can turn off at Rosie Hackett Bridge and go up Hawkins St to Pearse St, or keep going as far as Matt Talbot Bridge and either go straight up to Pearse St, or left down the City Quay cycle track and up Lombard St to Pearse Station.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

The second phase of the new BusConnects network will be launched in October. All C-spine buses (C1, C2, C3 and C4) will go from Lucan/Kildare to Rinsgend/Sandymount via the quays and Pearse Street. Together, they'll be every 4-5 mins at peak or every 8 mins off peak.

But, as above, I would walk or cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭thomasj

If you're still doing that trek in a few years the B spine will be using pearse street as well

Advertisement