Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blindboy cancels himself.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,061 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Ah, so he didn't say it and you expressed it as your reason for disliking him. So, exactly what I said?

So just confirm for me, did he say he didn't know it was wrong or not?

Post edited by El_Duderino 09 on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

Many in this thread blowing things way out of proportion. Firstly he hasn’t “cancelled” himself, he simple explained the song, and still seems proud of it.

He’s right, in Limerick that word is rampant and would be used as a negative term for someone you just don’t like. It would be reasonable to believe someone in limerick would be unaware that it has different connotations.

Blindboy is good but he does something talk crap about things where he doesn’t really know what he’s on about. That would be ok if he wasn’t so intellectual and convincing.

I would rather someone woke with that skill than some anti vaccine conspiracy theorist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭onrail

Jayses the hate on here is baffling, but having been off twitter for a while, you'd forget what maniacs there are on the internet.

I was never a fan of his music or his writing and proably come from the opposite end of the political spectrum as him, but generally find his podcasts insightful and interesting. Of course there is the occasional eye-roll, but he's a lot more self-aware than people make out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Curse These Metal Hands

Weird take.

He issued an apology then lied about not knowing any better to soften the blow, lessen the backlash and deflect responsibility away from himself. The worse kind of non-apology.

Not in the slightest. A good few of my posts on this thread have been responding to condescending twats.

• Advertisement

You do give off angry vibes, dude. It seeps from your posts. Angry, probably middle-aged, chap finding everything irritating, different, and frustrating.

Oh I do find plenty of stuff irritating and frustrating. That much is true. But far from everything. That's a little unfair. Not too sure why my age is brought into it.

But it's ok dude! I'm far from angry.

But thanks for the review of my persona.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

Of course, there is such a thing as "woke". It's a term that has permeated our media, culture, and wider society. Whether you like it or not, or agree with it or not.

In terms of Blindboy, I really don't know why he felt the need to apologise for something that he said over a decade ago. And something that is fairly innocuous, considering the content that a lot of rap/hip-hop artists have produced over the last 40 years.

I don't think anyone on this thread believes that BB didn't know what the term "spastic" meant when he was 22. Whether you are a fan or not. No one believes that.

To quote Ralph Wiggum, "the ironing is delicious"

• Advertisement

"Maniacs" - "insults from me is fine!"

So much bizarre sneery, kinda spiteful passive-aggressiveness and dishonesty from those defending him. I do agree some here are going way over the top with the language they use to criticise him, but the other crowd aren't much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

Off topic here, but what ever happened to the other Rubberbandit?

I was in my 20s before i googled the term and found out what exactly it meant. I said above that I was watching the news and saw a politician use the term "spacticity" in reference to his own son's condition. It never occurred to me that spastic was a medial term or a technical term. I thought it was a term for someone being stupid (or having an intellectual disability) synonymous with an idiot (i've just googled the etymology of the term idiot for the first time in my life).

Does this whole dislike of BB in this instance hinge on his not knowing what exactly the term spastic meant? Because that's not beyond the realms of possibility that he didn't know the exact meaning of spastic at the age of 22. I hadn't googled it and i had probably assumed it was synonymous with idiot at that age (but i doubt I'd ever though hard about it).

Had you thought hard about the exact meaning of the term by that point in your life?

I don't pretend to know whether BB had Googled the term spastic before he was 20 or if he just went with the colloquial usage of the term. I think I'm at a disadvantage to the people who are happy to pretend they know what BB knows. They pretend they can mind-read not only what someone else knew but WHEN they knew it... I can't compete with that unless I'm willing to also stray into making things up to prove a point, which I'm not.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Are you trying to convince yourself ??

There is no way in hell he didn't know at 22 ... all kids my age knew what it meant when we were 10 ffs!!

I knew what it meant when I was a teenager. Perhaps you have an incurious mind?

Absolutely. So much of that from people who think of themselves as the good guys.

I doubt that. I'm not from Limerick, but spastic was definitely used when someone said something stupid or wrong or didn't know things. I knew it was an insult but it was more likely to be a term for an intellectual disability. It was interchangeable with retard. It's not a term that's taught in school or anything so I actually thing that assuming that EVERYONE , or even most people, had looked it up in the dictionary or Gooled it, it not realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭TheWonderLlama

Fellow Arsehole Rís survivor here:

ye were probably a bit young for this, but the word certainly became a popular insult after this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭onrail

Didn't intend to defend him in this particular instance [I think anyone of a reasonably balanced nature can see through it]

Just don't get why some of the people on here feel the need to be so overly harsh about his character in general.

So, am I sneering at people becoming irate over a man with a plastic bag on his head. I suppose I am yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Curse These Metal Hands

What does you not knowing the medical definition of the word have to do with BB lying about not knowing it was a slur?

You haven't read his statement have you? The issue here isn't that he never knew the medical definition, it's that BB claims that he didn't know it was a derogatory term. You've spent all morning arguing a point that has no relevance to anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

He wasn't a child though, or a teenager, or a young adult. He was 27 when Spastic Hawk was released. Not sure the point of your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,601 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I think it’s fair to say that this is less about Blind Boy Boat Club and more about different “sides” of a, current, cultural divide.

If the roles were reversed and you had, say, Ben Shapiro, Donald Trump, Jordan Peterson, Jair Bolsonaro, Vladimir Putin, Justin Barrett or Tommy Robinson trying, and failing miserably, to apologise for something that goes against their current “brand”, I think we’d see the usual, angry, suspects on here angrily defending them to the bitter end as well.

Blind Boy isn’t a hill I would choose to die on, myself. It’s not so much the message but the “medium” I have the issue with. He’s also insulted his original fans by making out that they misunderstood the Rubber Bandits early output, making out they weren’t mocking Limerick scrotes. Nonsense.

I, also, find it very hard to believe he wasn’t aware of the meaning of “spastic”. He’d have been better off just apologising for using the term and leave it at that.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Jesus! It must be a "full moon" today. I actually "agree" with Emmet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

This quote from around the release of Spastic Hawk, would seem to confirm that he knew what spastic meant:  "‘Spastic Hawk’ is a true story unfortunately. I have a hawkery, and I had a physically retarded hawk." Strangely doesn't seem to match with what he said in his "apology": "I wasn't aware at the time of writing the song, that the word spastic was a slur, which is directed exclusively against people with disabilities. It's just not something that was in my awareness".

So, was it just an extreme coincidence that the "spastic hawk" in the song was, in his own words "physically retarded", since apparently BB didn't realise spastic was a slur on the disabled.

What does it have to do with this instance That's? That's the whole point, isn't it? He said he didn't know the actual meaning of the term because it was used as an insult out of its proper context. So he knew it was an insult (he said it was used against him in the statement) but didn't know it related to a specific disability. And lots of people have come on to say everyone knew exactly what it meant. So I'm telling you that I didn't know exactly what it meant until I googled it and that was in the second half of my 20s. If I hadn't been prompted to Google it then, I might not have known what exactly it meant until now. So the idea that everyone knows exactly what the word meant by the time they're in their 20s, is not realistic. I suppose it's like the term "wolly". It's used as a mild insult but I'm not aware of if having any medical meaning or referring to any particular disability.

Isn't it strange for so many people to get hung up on what BB knew and at what age they knew it?

Ive only read the statement linked in the first post in this thread. I haven't read anything more about it so that's all I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,975 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

I'm just about old enough to remember the "Year Of The Spastic" that he wrote that song in response to. I remember letters arriving from the relatives in England with stamps related to and being baffled because up to that point spastic was a widely used playground insult.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Also if he's apologizing for the word "spastic" in a comedic sense saying it's wrong to do so is just plain stupid. If he starts there what else will he apologize for, he's a comedian... Your career is over if you start that craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Was he ever a comedian? Thought he was a teacher or lecturer.

• Advertisement

Ah you say that, but those people you mentioned don't tend to apologise for anything precisely because they know their people wouldn't like that. The same people who are suggesting its not the fact that he made an apology, its the way he apologised that made them cross, would not be any less cross if he had apologised in a different way. People like Trump know that their people don't like apologies because their people perceive it as weakness, so they don't apologise.

Advertisement