Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great Southern Greenway Limerick

Options
  • 22-09-2019 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

Over the last few weeks I've really enjoyed cycling some of the greenways that have come on stream in recent times. I've really enjoyed the Suir Blueway - a 42Km round trip from Clonmel to Carrick-on Suir and back, Pollagh to Daingean on the Grand Canal and Athlone to Maynooth on the Royal Canal. I am now planning to do the Great Southern Greenway - which currently goes from Rathkeale in Limrick to Abbeyfeale on the Kerry border. Has anyone any experience of this? Main question - is it suitable for a road bike? It has to be said also - while we've had a lot of catching up to do, there's some great progress being made around the country at the moment. A lot done...a lot more to do!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

I've ridden the Rathkeale - Abbeyfeale section on a road bike with 28mm tyres. There are some bits which can be a little sketchy - sections where they may have put down grit, a metal bridge ( signs instruct cyclists to walk - need them) and a lot of cattle grids. Other sections are fine.

Nice route, but not as developed as, say, the Waterford one. The main issue is the sheer number of gated / gridded crossings, particularly around Newcastle West. Very difficult to get any flow to the spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭michaelm

Thanks for that - I kind of gathered some of that from the photos I've seen online. I have to say I'm hugely impressed with all the recent work on The Mullingar/Maynooth route - there's a real standard emerging here that hopefully all others will follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

Did the section into abbeyfeale from round templeglantine (intersection near shop on way from Toornafula) on 23/25 tyres with luggage on and it was grand. Potholes in some places but mostly good surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭hsan

Hi guys
    Just wondering if any of ye know if this is open at the moment as I heard they were doing work to it recently

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭ruffmut

hsan wrote: »
    Hi guys
    Just wondering if any of ye know if this is open at the moment as I heard they were doing work to it recently

Some parts of it are closed off at the moment due to it being upgraded. It is currently having its route upgrared with tar. Also the route is being extened from the kerry border in Abbeyfeale to Listowel.

https://www.limerick.ie/great-southern-greenway-limerick/trails

https://www.facebook.com/Great-Southern-Greenway-Limerick-114479013279024

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Lewotsil

On the Facebook site Templeglantine to Kerry Border is not closed - does that mean it has already been tarmacced or that is not going to be tarmacced ?

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭ruffmut

Lewotsil wrote: »
    On the Facebook site Templeglantine to Kerry Border is not closed - does that mean it has already been tarmacced or that is not going to be tarmacced ?

It has not been tarred yet but is planned. As far as I know they started in Rathkeale and are working back to the Kerry border.

Likewise they have started works in Listowel and working towards the Kerry border.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,881 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

So I did this today, got a lift to Abbeyfeale and cycled back to Limerick. I see perfect surface tarred towards the Kerry border starting in Abbeyfeale but its completely fenced off, no hope of lifting the bike over or anything but it looked nearly done.

As for the Greenway itself... a big fat "meh" from me. Good points to start: Perfect surface, flawless smooth black tar the whole way, thats about it for the good points though.

Bad points: The most boring route in Ireland connecting 4 candidates for the most boring town (seriously dont even bother with the 3 towns, closed pubs, a church, a Centra and thats it, Ardagh barely exists so cant even be called a town), there is exactly one highlight, the Barnagh Tunnel, a beautiful cut through solid rock with moss/dripping creepers and ferns and a nice tunnel, even this has its downsides though, you have to take a detour of the route to see it and then retrace your route back to the main Greenway, Id say a good few people are missing it because of this. Even if you take the turnoff the good bit is ridiculously short, you'll be through it in 2 minutes.

The rest of the time you're just cycling through a ditch behind random farms with road noise from the adjacent N road nearly the whole way. Absolutely nothing to see, you cant even look out over fields, the hedges are too thick. I was looking at my odometer for most of it because there was literally nothing better to do. You keep passing signs for places like "The Valley of the Blacksmiths" or "The Vale of Horses" but theres just nothing there even though theres a big signpost for these non-places every 5 minutes, its Father Ted-esqe in a way, its just the black tar and the hedgerows either side of you. Every farm gets its own kissing gates and cattle grid to disrupt the flow as someone already mentioned aswell.

Highlights according to the website:

Fergusons Viaduct: I laughed when I saw this, Father Ted vibes again, a small rickety metal bridge over a dirt track between a bungalow and a few sheds is not a viaduct, if you've ever used a pedestrian footbridge over the M50 or N11 you've seen way more impressive structures. Seriously do a google image search and see for yourself.

Tullig "Forest": Again you have to laugh, a tennis court sized clump of 6-7 trees and a picnic bench, gone in 10 seconds.

3-4 "Restored" Train Stations: They powerhosed a few old 2 storey train stations and bricked them up then slapped on a coat of plaster, there is literally nothing in any of them, not even a water tap or a bench. no reason to stop whatsoever.

And thats about it for highlights. I wish I had better news to report but its a dud, dont even bother, the most boring stretch of the Royal or the Grand you can think of is infinitely more interesting. I bought a spicy chicken roll in Abbeyfeale at 10:30 with a plan to eat it for breakfast as soon as I came to a nice stop, at 12:30 I gave up and just sat on the fence in the middle of nowhere to eat because there was nothing of interest up to that point.

And then the worst bit for last, it ends at a brick wall in Rathkeale and I had to do 30km of horrible dangerous N road back to Limerick. Total waste of time, Im just going to get a car and start going down to Kerry to do routes next year, cycling around Limerick is a total bust.

EDIT: That turned out longer than I thought it would, sorry for the rant but I just feel sorry for anyone being suckered into bringing the family down the country to do this like they would with Achill or Waterford, its just complete sh1te.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

My thoughts exactly. I did it earlier this summer just after it officially opened. Beautiful surface but basically cycling along the edges of of grass fields (Golden Vale). Nothing scenic as such and pedestrians who give the impression that cyclists are spoiling 'their' walkway. I won't be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I can't agree with either of the comments above.

This is another lovely greenway.

A problem is that people don't do research beforehand.

The Greenway goes from Abbeyfeale to Rathkeale, not to Limerick City. A quick read of the website would explain this.

The surface is excellent though personally I find gravelled greenways better for running and just that feeling of being on a trail. It is an excellent surface for buggies, wheelchairs and I have seen a person roller blading.

As for the scenery you are going through dairy country. Most families would enjoy seeing cattle and machinery operating in fields.

I passed a farmer bringing in his herd of cows for milking at 8am and on their way to grass after milking on the way back, right along a segregated path along the greenway for 400m or so. It was a lovely sight.

I also liked the signs for the various townlands along the way, in Irish and English. Many are connected to the nature where they are located,e.g. hawthorn, oak, ford, hillock, etc.

The Barnagh tunnel is a gem and yes you do turn off the greenway to go through it via an underpass under the N21. When you go through the tunnel and come to the end (about 1km) you climb a short sharp hill. This is where there is a great viewing area overlooking counties Limerick, Clare and Tipperay with a display pointing out the various landmarks. It is a wonderful view on a clear day but even better at sunrise.

The 3 towns Rathkeale, NCW and Abbeyfeale are not Westports. They are typical country towns that like many have issues with derelict buildings but they still have plenty to offer.

The Demesne (park) in NCW is a beautiful place for a walk or run. Abbeyfeale and Rathkeale need to up their game if they want people to come into their towns. They both need quality playgrounds. The one in Abbeyfeale needs a clean up. It is also too far away from the greenway being a 1km out the Killarney road. Both towns really need to have a dedicated cycle lane from the greenway into their town centres.

These places will develop in time once people use the greenway and more and more businesses open up along its route. Abbeyfeale and NCW are also due to be bypassed which will help enormously with making the town centres a better place.

I don't know what the plans are for extending it to Limerick city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,881 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I know it ends in Rathkeale I was hoping for a nice cycle home along normal country roads not a dangerous road with hard shoulders that disappear at random and everyone is speeding, seriously anyone thinking of doing it head a bit North or South and find an alternative route compared to the direct way Google Maps will suggest, its too dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭ratracer

i cycled the NCW - Barnagh section with the family a couple of weeks ago. It was a nice greenway, not amazingly scenic, but a safe place for the family to cycle.

The restaurant just after the Barnagh tunnel ( Platform 22??) was a lovely lunch stop, serving freshly made food in a great setting. They also have a rent a bike place and a small crazy golf course.

On return to NCW I met the project engineer and some workers, he told me they were heading out along the route to identify places to put picnic benches along the way, so I presume it’s a work in progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

Cycled the Greenway from Newcastle West to Abbeyfeale return during the summer. Enjoyed the safe cycling route and the smooth surface, lots of gates along the way to be opened/closed but that was ok, didn't bother us. The whole route isn't particularly scenic, but very safe for cycling. We really enjoyed the Barnagh Tunnel area and the viewing point but we found a serious lack of places to stop and rest, have a picnic/snack. We didn't see the cafe stop and must have missed signs for it which was a real pity. The towns along the way might have cafes, but again we didn't see if there were bike rest areas there or was it was case of leaving bike outside so we didn't venture future afield into the towns. Hopefully its a work in progress and there will be more of the old stationhouses converted into cafes for next summer

Advertisement