Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mechanical heat recovery system

Options
  • 25-08-2021 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,028 ✭✭✭✭

Just anyone's thoughts if it is worth putting into a new build house, with air to water and under floor heating. Wondering if it is worth the money really. Some of my family's thoughts on it is can't you just open the windows instead !!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Biker1

It is a requirement under Part F of the Building Regulations to have some type of ventilation system in a new build. Opening windows periodically doesn't cut it I'm afraid. Surely your engineer advised on this and the fact that he cannot sign off on Part F without a ventilation validation cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,028 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

yes I know I would have to put vents in the walls and windows, that is no problem. I am only wondering if this system is worth the extra cost, just looking for a few opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Biker1

You can only go with holes in the walls if your airtightness test result is between 3 and 5m3/hr/m2 at 50pa. We call these houses swiss cheese type as the number of holes required to comply make them look like it. Most houses are coming in at well below 3 therefore either mechanical extract or mechanical ventilation with heat recovery are your options.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

I sounds like you would be best to go and see MVHR installed.

to answer your question, yes it’s worth installing mvhr in a new house, along with highly insulated and low air/leakage building envelope.

it’s a different mind set to the traditional leaky home, where you bang on the heating for an hour and then turn it off, while at the same time putting on an extra layer of clothing to cater for the drafts.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,076 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Do you think a house with a lot of holes in it is cheaper or more expensive to heat?

And that's not to mention the health advantages of being able to filter the incoming air to counter asthma and hay fever issues, not the ability to control internal humidity to create a more comfortable internal environment

• Advertisement
Advertisement