Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Xbox General discussion **No Order Chat Here**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Flight simulator is available to fully download now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,365 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

MS Flight Sim

Xbox killer app

Yep. The reason I got a series x and the cheap gamepass ultimate offer. Hopefully it clicks with me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

It won't unlock until next week though, right?

Still, better to have it downloaded and ready to go 😁

Left my series x with a "dust cover" on it (sheet of paper) while playing about 2 hours of Skyrim. Forgot to take it off. Doh!

Think it's ok. Was a bit hot afterwards. What an idiot. I'm sure it's got in built temp protector ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

There is a built in heat protector, well there was deffo on the One X as I triggered it a few times.

Cool! Phew!

Getting sucked into Skyrim in 60 FPS 4K and HDR. For "free" on GamePass. What a game! With all the DLCs too. And hardly any bugs.

All good things come to those who wait!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,110 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I have had mine shut down once, which I assumed was either heat or a crash. Yours probably didn't because the fan should be more than capable of lifting a sheet of paper a bit so the air could escape.

Hopefully no long term damage to my precious 🙂 Have a few games I need to get through. Skyrim, Hades and Flight Sim spring to mind on GamePass. And then Witcher 3 when the free next gen upgrade comes out. That lot should keep me quiet for the next year or so.

I had the elite controller case sitting on top of the Series X for a while which I finally copped on to, again no harm done. I can't believe how quiet the console is, I don't have a very good setup as I've had to raise everything quite high so the toddlers don't pull the TV down on top of them, so the console is out of the way behind the TV and you would generally have no idea its there. Don't think I've ever been aware of the noise. Between the speed everything works at, how good the games look, quick resume, managing the console remotely, and of course Game Pass I continue to be extremely impressed by the Series X I have to say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

I just got my Series X and of course Game pass. Blown away by the amount of games to play and I have not gamed on consoles in at least 2 years so am playing catchup.

Right now have downloaded Halo MCC, GTA V, Forza Horizon 4 and Doom Eternal. But I have selected over 30 games for download.

Is Cyberpunk still a mess or is it worth buying for the eventual next gen patch ? Also thinking I would like to play Mass Effect trilogy again and Legendary looks pretty good.

I am most looking forward to the Diablo II remaster though, but will also play through Diablo III once again.

What's the story about storage expansion. The 1TB Seagate add in nvme card looks very expensive. Is there alternatives that give more storage and allow you to run your game directly from the drive or are we stuck with the official add in card ?

<Edit> I just found this. Seems like you need to go the official route if you want to play Xbox Series X games directly from the drive. Alternative SSD's work in compatibility mode or are useful for moving games back and forth.

https://www.windowscentral.com/best-ssds-xbox-series-x-series-s

The Ascent seems to be getting fairly polarising reviews today. A lot of very averages and a few excellents. Sounds like it might need a few patches for bugs etc but looks fun. Pretty good for a studio of 12 people.

Definitely going to give it a go, but as you say might just wait a little bit to see if they update it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Remote play is coming back for PCs, starting with Xbox Insiders. 1080p quality, even outside your home. The Xbox App is getting an update that'll enable it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Was going to include this in my last post, but decided it might be best to have it's own post for it. I'm thinking of closing the old Xbox One General Chat thread, and renaming this one to be just Xbox General Chat. Yay or Nay? I'm not seeing any down side really, maybe there's a possibility of Xbox One posts getting drowned out, but we weren't that busy, even before the boards migration.

What say you all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Makes sense to me. With traffic down so much, I don't see a problem amalgamating some of the threads.

Looking forward to Disco Elysium coming to Xbox. It has a summer 2021 release window so I presume it'll be in the next couple of weeks. Hoping that it might launch on Gamepass!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,394 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Would be great if that went into gamepass, I keep putting it off until it gets cheaper in the steam sales but it hasn't been dropping in price much.

I have been experiencing some video glitching when quick resuming on an xbox series x while playing Witcher 3 and was wondering if anyone else was getting it? The screen will flicker with a complete loss of signal for an instant and occasional brief flickers of what looks like reverse colours:

That is an example of what the brief flickers look like.

The TV is a new LG. It seems it might have something to do with HDR, because it seems it can be fixed by turning HDR off then on again. I realise that makes it sound like it's a TV problem, but since it only happens after a quick resume, there definitely seems to be something not quite right in the signal from the Xbox end.

If it's only this game ...

free next gen version upgrade soon.

I'm waiting for that before I play this game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

Anyone play children of morta on gamepass ? Dived into it during the week and I am hooked !

Hades finally out. Bit disappointed tbh. I suppose I've been around long enough to have played this type of game many times. I was expecting something more like Diablo, I probably should have watched a YouTube video before hyping it up in my head.

Decent enough fun game, but that's all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

Depends if you like roguelites, it really opens up after a few runs, the voice acting in it is stellar too.

Wired version of the Xbox headset inbound.

Quake is on gamepass today. Possibly right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Can confirm, €9.99 if you don't have Game Pass.

Includes both expansions and 2 new ones by Machine Games. Also has mod support like the Unity ports of classic Doom, the first of which available is Quake 64.

I remember people playing Quake and Doom during their lunch breaks on their work PCs with 286/386 processors, Windows 3.1 and RAM and HD's measured in low MBs.

Is anyone here overly bothered about the lack of co op campaign or forge on release for Halo infinite?

• Advertisement

I really don't "get" FPS games. There is a real glut of them, especially on Xbox. No interest in Halo whatsoever. I have a ton of them sitting there on GamePass. Tried a few, bored to tears. I guess they make more sense multiplayer ... Also, I think the controller is useless for these kinds of games. I see keyboard and mouse being added for some games, so maybe that'll help. Also, gyro aiming needs to happen on Xbox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭ozmo

is there any xbox current gen game that can play two player on one tv - coop, vs , spilt screen or whatever?

screens are getting so much bigger and capable but split screen games seems to be getting rarer.

“Roll it back”

Quake has it, it was added to Game Pass on Friday.

I would also highly recommend Overcooked for that kind of thing, I believe Overcooked 2 is also in Game Pass.

All of the Gears of War games have split screen as well.

Very good point. A 50 inch 4k TV should be great for couch multiplayer. The Series X should support fantastic smooth hi rez multi player. Nintendo has this market nailed on Switch.

Edit! Didn't know quake and gears of war supported this. Maybe time to revisit FPS games. 😊

Just did a search and there are quite a few even on GamePass ... Now to get a second controller ...

https://gamerant.com/best-coop-splits-screen-games-xbox-game-pass/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭ozmo

The older controllers work - we have one from xbox one that is ok - we used for overcooked. Kids liked it but not my style game.

was looking for something like call of duty but only games we found so far were very old.

- will try gears 5 thanks.

“Roll it back”

AC odyssey is getting a 60 FPS boost on Series consoles. Not on here long enough to post a link ...l

Nice, 60 FPS 4k hopefully. Like the asthetic of this game. Certainly more cheerful than endless dank dark dungeons.

Have yet to play an AC game. Might get it when it goes on sale again and I've 60 hours free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭honda boi

Switched Xbox on and the green animated starting screen loads up then I get a black screen.

Quick Google seems to be the black screen of death.

Any advice on from anyone that had this on any possible fixes?

Check online, there are guides to fix this but you will need to factory reset the console.

This seems to only be happening with the current beta firmware. Another annoying issue with it is that they changed how long is required to press the guide button before it shows up and has completely broken the ability to bring up the guide using a media remote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭honda boi

Thanks sniper.

Tried resetting now .

Asked me to set up through the phone app. Did this.

Xbox switched off so I turned it back on but now there's still a black screen but the power button is flashing.

Do I just wait or?

• Advertisement

Not sure. You may need to reset again. Make sure to go into the insider hub and remove the console from the program or it will attempt to reinstall the faulty firmware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Not especially. The only Halo campaign I played Co-op before was ODST. It was fun, but I prefer solo campain and separate multiplayer.

Although, since the game was already postponed by a year, I just wonder when they actually made the call to delay campaign co-op.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

No one was playing Quake on a 286, and you weren't going to be getting much from a 386 either.

I bought an early Pentium in the mid 90s for Quake, £2000, and it played the game in software.

I did get a Rendition and later a 3DFX card which made it much better though.

286/386, they were Doom/Wolfenstein machines at best, maybe some Duke 3D... but surely there'd be borders

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭bdmc16

Including DLC you in for double that if like exploring

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Sweet lament, that brings me back.

I remember being blown away when I first installed a 3DFX Voodoo card and played Quake - it was such a mind blowing step up.

Now a fridge probably has more computing power than my old PC 😁

Caved in and got it for 24 quid for the gold edition which includes Odyssey, all the dlc and AC 3 remastered. cdkeys. Now, I'll probably be bored well before I get to any of that, but I just want to experience the 60 FPS 4k beautiful Ancient Greece world 😊 with the hawk and me sword n shield. 😊😊

And to that other point ... Just compare a 500 quid Xbox Series X to that 2000 quid PC from the 90s. Nuts how far things have progressed. Real time ray tracing, 4K, 120 FPS, 1 Gbps broadband, super fast SSD drives, ...

Have to admit, that's a seriously impressive custom console. Very impressed with how out there they've taken it. No chance of actually getting it, it's only a sweepstakes job, but still, between this and the Halo console, the Series X is going to have some amazing custom consoles by the end.

It's straightforward shape to customise too, ie a cuboid. And the vents are easy to avoid. Great design.

Having a load of fun with AC Odyssey in 60 FPS 4k. Looks and plays so smoothly and the Ancient Greece setting is beautiful.

Disco Elysium has been rated for Xbox so hopefully it'll be releasing soon. I wonder does Playstation have a 6 month exclusive deal and it'll release end of September.

If anyone is interested in game streaming on their phone the generic Android Razer Kishi is currently €56 inc shipping, or €76.99 for Xbox branding, on the Razer store for Intel Gaming Days.

• Advertisement
Advertisement