Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flying Boat Museum Foynes

Options
  • 24-08-2021 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Is this worth visiting ? I would be travelling from Dublin just to see it.

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Nope. It's an hour's entertainment at best. Worth it if you're nearby, but not a trip from Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭scotchy

Agree. I visited it while holidaying in the area. Really enjoyed it, but not sure its worth a drive from Dublin. The mock up of the Flying boat is really good.

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

the Airadventure Museum at Shannon is much better. the Foynes one is too small, really,and most of it is Maureen O'Hara, the Quiet Man, industry at Foynes,Irish Coffee, tourist tat and some local maritime history. It's good, limited and needs some money invested as it's starting to get a bit tatty around the edges.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Go North and visit the transport museum in Belfast instead. It has an aviation section, as well as trains, buses, boats (Titanic) and even a time machine 😮 (Delorean)

All sections, including the aviation hall, have exhibits from both sides of the border, presented in state of the museum art conditions - well worth a look.

The Ulster Aviation Society in the former Long Kesh Prison complex is also worth a trip, but has to be planned in advance as it is view by appointment only.

Finally, The Air Corps base in Baldonnell also has a small museum in one of the hangers. Prior to Covid you could book a tour and get a look around the entire base, as well as the museum. Access was requested through written request of the base commander - not sure if it still happens under the current situation, but worth calling them to enquire.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 L1649A

Many thanks for the informative replies. I've decided to take a staycation in the area, so I'll visit the Flying Boat Museum and also Airadventure in Shannon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I did a day trip to Foynes this summer. Like others said, it is quite small and limited. Still happy enough to have gone though. Pity I didn’t know about that Shannon one or I’d have fit that in too.

Advertisement