Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tariffs On Buying Solar Equipment Directly From China?

• 24-08-2021 7:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭

Hi There,

I'm planning a very large (up to 30kW) solar installation on a new build house in the near future.

I'm looking at buying the panels, inverter etc directly from China as opposed to from an EU/Irish supplier.

I'm trying to work out the total charge here.

Obviously I'd be paying VAT on the total of the good plus shipping charges (if it's anything like importing a car from outside the EU)

What I'm wondering is if there is a separate tariff on the solar equipment also?

I've found a few articles from 2018 talking about the abolishing of tariffs on them and the pricing that Chinese panels are sold for here (vs the prices I'm being offered from China) would suggest there is not some massive tarrif on them.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Why are you looking to China?

There are often excellent value panels posted here as wholesaler discount last stock.

I think you could be better looking up North and see would a supplier sell ex VAT to you for a bulk once off (as for immediate export from NI)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

If it's not too nosey - can you share what requires 30Kw. Curious as to what might have that load (crytomining?)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

If I had the (land) space I’d deffo go for at least two 6kW inverters if not three and 20+kWp panels alongside 30kWh of storage.

There are too many poor sun days here so oversize to generate year long and really fill those EVs from April - Sept

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

I'm sure it's possible to do the math and work it out, but I often wondered what size array you'd need to cover yourself all year round. I guess the trick is to figure out the long term storage. Batteries, yeah they're good an all for short - medium term, but it's hard to store the excess energy you have in July for the depths of winter. Hydrogen I guess or some other fuel.....I'd love to be able to get rid of the gas fired central heating, but don't have the space for ground heat pump.

Can't imagine the neighbors would be too too happy to have me with the Hindenberg out in me shed though..... :-)

Some roof to house 30Kw - jealous.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,284 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Without an ev, say 15kwh/day, 30kwp should cover it in Jan/Feb but you'd want a decent battery too!

That same array, would generate 3500+ in may though! Maybe some big well insulated underground water tanks as a thermal store?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

Jesus a good few installers would be very interested in that and take away many problems that you wont have to worry about.

Advertisement