Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

McConnel Swingtrim xl

• 22-08-2021 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi guys,

I have 1200 meters of hawthorn and other growth along my driveway into my house. It is a very old driveway and I want to ensure the hedges are maintained properly. I also have 50 acres with substantial hawthorn hedges which I would like to keep under some level of control (annual growth). I want to cause minimal damage to the hedges and wildlife.

I suffer from a spinal issue and cannot manually trim all these hedges. I don't want to have some person come in witha flail mower and damage the hedges, I would prefer to do it myself. I have an 80hp tractor and was wonder what people's thoughts are with using a finger bar trimmer such as the McConnel Swingtrim xl. Are they a good piece of kit?

Answers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Fine Day

A flail hedge cutter is probably the best option. I am not sure how the flail hedge cutter gets a bad reputation as all our hedges get done annually every winter and the hedges look very good and healthy. I think once the hedges are done annualy with a flail hedge cutter minimum damage will be done. Have little experience with a finger bar type machine, but I would imagine they be very slow and troublesome particularly after a fully year of growth.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Rallo

Thanks Theheff, would my 80 hp tractor be good enough for a flail cutter? If so, what brand/model would you recommend?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Rallo

Hey timple23, unfortunately I don't. It would be the ideal job if I did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭davidk1394

I ran a McConnell PA 93 on a David Brown 1394. Once you weren't trying to go up a steep hill you'd be fine. A friend of mine has this hedge cutter on a 100hp fendt orchard tractor with both the flail head and the multi saw head. The multi saw head will cut branches up to this width of your arm with ease.

https://www.mcconnel.com/power-arms/_product/8/30-series/

• Advertisement
Advertisement