Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EV Charger

Options
  • 23-08-2021 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭

Herself is looking at getting and EV (Kia E-niro). The dealer is offering a free EV charger for the house. We already have an Eddi (and Hub) for the hot water diverter. Kia seem to do a different charger (wall box?). Does anyone know my options here? Can the Eddi "talk" to non myenergie kit or will I need to bite the bullet and get my own zappi?

edit: bit confusing this question - I am looking to see what can work together to enable surplus from the array to go to the hot water and then car, I am assuming the myenergie products working together might be easier but as you can see I am unsure!!

# Wasn't sure to post this here or in the EV forum!

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

the myenergie kit wont be able to talk to the EV charger, You might be able to monitor it with a CT but i dont have any myenergie kit so Im not 100% sure.

But a free charge point is not to be snuffed at, Sure you wont be charge off solar, but how much excess/export do you actually have?

It will take a lot of kwh's (at the cost of rate too![5-8c]) of solar input to make up the cost of getting a zappi installed as your getting the wallbox free.

if you realllly wanted the zappi, get the wallbox installed, for free. Get a zappi, swap it out, sell the wallbox.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

100%, get the free "charge point" and then get your Zappi2 and do a swap out.

All I'd add is to run two CAT6 cables when installing the Wallbox for Zappi2 comms, they would need to run from your consumer board to Z2.

MyEnergi App is a doddle to control EDDI/Zappi2 with surplus PV

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Niceday20

Whilst I wont disagree with running CAT6 cables to the new wallbox in anticipation of installing a zappi, the eddi must already have the CT wired (or communicated by a harvi) connected into it.

Provided the zappi is within wireless range of the eddi, the eddi can be set as master and send the CT data and parameters wirelessly to the zappi. This is the setup I have been using for nearly six months without issue.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I have the same setup as you but am moving my charger over coming weeks so taking the opportunity to hard wire, always the better option over wireless.

Probably sell on my Harvi once all done and dusted.

So it will be Z2 Master hard wired, EDDI Slave off the Z2 over radio waves, HUB as is

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,668 ✭✭✭✭josip

Ask the dealer if there's a discount on the price if you don't want their 'free' EV charger.

They're getting the cost of those giveaway chargers back from somewhere, perhaps in a slightly inflated car price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,941 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I'd second getting the charger and then swapping out for a Zappi

The biggest cost outside of the charger is getting the cabling work done, if you can get that for free then it's worth it

Swapping a charger is about an hour's work for an electrician and you'll have the old charger you can sell afterwards

Another neat trick would be to have the Zappi ready before the installer arrives. Then you could get them to install the Zappi instead and you'd have the other charger ready to sell without any hassles of getting another electrician out

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭harderthanf

No dice on that one. It seems the deal is with Energia and has nothing to do with the dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 scratchymouse

I looked into this Energia deal. The catch is their unit rate. If you take the free charger you go on their standard rate -20%. However they will give anybody standard rate -41% to join them without it.

The standard installation of a smart charger(load monitoring, app controlled) could be anything between €1200 to €1500 depending on unit type, installer etc. Less €600 grant that gives a cost to you of €600-900. Depending on your unit usage you could end up giving them back the cost over the course of the year.

If you are happy with the Elvi charger(that was the unit they offered me) and your usage is not overly high (I approximated that over 10,000 KWh/year was the point at which the free unit was costing me) it may be worth while.

I the end I didn't go with them for the charger but took the -41% offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭Raoul

Where can you buy a zappi on it's own? I am looking at getting the deal from Energia of a free install.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

they can be bought direct from myenergi. There's also a number of irish retailers online selling them.

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,910 ✭✭✭con747

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,961 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Thanks @con747 - it sold almost instantly though.

Advertisement