Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bathroom renovation

Options
  • 06-12-2020 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

I’ll need to renovate en-suite, 2m x 3m and no clue where to start when it comes to setting a budget. House built 8 years ago, needs new tiles all walls and floor and new shower cabin. I know there are many variables, but what sort of money should I have put aside?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

3 grand

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭New2Dubs

We’re in similar position, although house is 25 years old.
    We’ve had a range of quotes between €3k to an eye watering €10k.
    Depends on what you want really. Wet rooms look great but are costly.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,057 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

tsuzmir wrote: »
    I’ll need to renovate en-suite, 2m x 3m and no clue where to start when it comes to setting a budget. House built 8 years ago, needs new tiles all walls and floor and new shower cabin. I know there are many variables, but what sort of money should I have put aside?

If you need new fittings, you could be looking at around 6k

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Yourmama

tsuzmir wrote:

We just paid 8k for average-higher standard finish all fittings + labour. We took couple of quotes and checked previous work. The cheaper guys were just not worth it. Room about same size as yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭markc1184

I had my bathroom done recently. Slightly smaller size than you. Completely stripped including floorboards. New toilet relocated, shower, tray, shower glass, small corner basin with vanity, led mirror, Stuart Turner pump, wall and floor tiles, pvc ceiling cladding, then all plumbing and electrical work. Price came to about €6.5k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,604 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Finished renovating my bathroom the weekend, it cost just over €4.5k with a "friends discount", I gutted the bathroom and put down a new concrete floor then a friend done the tiling,shower, toilet etc

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

tsuzmir wrote: »

8 years not long to get out of a bathroom!

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭tsuzmir

Idbatterim wrote: »
    8 years not long to get out of a bathroom!

Agree! The lad that put the tiles did absolutely sh!t job. Plus there are details I didnt think about at the time, like terrible shower door that are impossible to properly clean...
    While I need new tiles, I reckon I better strip it all down and do it right

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭tsuzmir

Thanks for all your answers!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 PocoRoco88

Would anyone have a rough breakdown of costs? Like tiles, plumbers, fittings, electrician, and anything I've forgotten?

I'd be looking at doing a small WC, main bathroom, and en-suite in an apartment. I wouldn't be relocating anything; just updating them (about 20 years old). Would love to add 1-2 wall-mounted toilets but understand they can add up quickly and need to have a unit built around them.

I'd be comfortable stripping them out myself (- plumber maybe to disconnect everything). I've looked at wetroom tanking online and seems relatively straightforward. As does tiling to a certain degree. I'd be getting a skip anyway but wondering am I taking on too much.

Any advice/learnings would be greatly appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Really hard to say how much but if you are not relocating the fittings then you only need a plumber to connect things up.

Skys the limit in terms of new fittings but buy online, price of bathroom fittings in local places is a disgrace.

My own renovation breakdown was as follows. It was done during a complete renovation so the plumber was already taken care off. The look of he bathroom is as follows.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B_Kho9BHWqc/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

• Registered Users Posts: 9 PocoRoco88

Advertisement