Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Guidance on a renovation project - House 100+ years old

• 09-08-2021 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I am looking for some guidance on what I need to consider when looking to buy a renovation project. Essentially, I want a step by step list of who to engage, pitfalls and what to expect as I embark on this process. As an example, I saw a terraced Victorian house in Dublin this weekend. The bones of it "look" solid but it needs a complete refurb. Obviously, I want to go back for another look before bidding. Who should I bring? A builder, a QS, etc.? If that goes well, what should I do next (assuming I have a bid accepted).

Any help greatly appreciated. While this post isn't specifically about pricing, if anyone has done a refurb on this kind of house, I would love to know the final costs. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

We are currently renovating a 200 year old terraced house and have documented a fair bit of the process.

if you have any questions let me know.

If you are buying it youll get a structural assessment prior to purchase no doubt so that should give you a good indication or what might need to be done.

As for cost well its still ongoing. To get to where we are now has cost us about 140k.

Some of that is down to expensive finishes bit also me doing a lot of the work myself so i cant really say what yours will require.

We have a few projects left which will probably cost another 15k and then we'll be "done"

Advertisement