Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 storey extension (gable end)

Options
  • 23-08-2021 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi all

i read some threads already but i am not sure how to work out a rough figure for cost of such works,

I have pictures that i can attach to show roughly what my plan is ( i do not own the house i am looking at it tho)

I guesstimate 7 metres x 3metres so if this is 21m2 is that x 2k euro ? so 42k euro cost

if thats correct is that first fix/2nd fix/ or fully finished i.e doors hung,locks skirting etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 cinnamonsticks

this is a very rough (my paint skills ha) of the extension for more clarity to my question

Building extended plus roof (roof i guess could be a flat roof but i think it looks nice with it extended) there is a house 3 houses down which is done really nicely so planning should be ok.

P.s i would also be changing windows and the front porch separately so just interested in a rough cost of such works on the extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,278 ✭✭✭✭Penn

When you say 7x3m, is that ground floor area only? Because you still have the first floor to add in then, which will approx double your cost.

Thanks Penn

That's what i was unsure of, so then we are talking 84k roughly for an extension of this sort ? possibly more ?

I live in the south east so not Dublin prices (tipp), the prices i saw online and on here was any where between 1k and 2k

Im saying 2k as id like to be pleasantly surprised rather than under estimate the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,278 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yes, for an estimation you have to include the whole floor area of each floor, as while obviously there's only one substructure and one roof, you still have additional walls, first floor structure, windows and finishes. Plus for an extension there could be additional structural requirements to tie in to the existing building.

Check out the table of figures on the SCSI House Rebuilding Calculator

It's pretty good for judging approx rates. It's used more for insurance purposes of if the house was damaged by fire how much would it cost to demolish and rebuild per m² in what area, but can also be used as a rough build cost estimation (substituting demolition costs for some finishes). So for a semi-detached 4 bed, it's showing Dublin approx 2,200, and Waterford approx 1,700, so for Tipp, yes you could be looking at 2,000 per m².

• Advertisement

Thanks Penn

Advertisement