Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reducing condensation in attic, next steps advice / suggestions

Options
  • 23-08-2021 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

In the really cold weather I get some condensation in the attic. The 2 story house is 1998 build with slates and felt underneath, the attic floor is lined with insulation and some insulated floorboards for storage. There are some recessed lights which are led and reasonably well covered and the trap door is also fairly reasonably insulated. The house is heated via kerosene central heating or wood stoves.

During long periods of cold weather, the wood stove is regularly used. Unfortunately I get drops of condensation dripping off the felt and the wooden rafters get quite wet which is a cause for concern especially if there's some snow on the roof.

I was thinking of putting some rolls of space blanket across the apex of the roof and down the sides but I am unsure if I will make things worse doing this or if I should focus on improving the ventilation in the attic. I have no idea how it is currently ventilated except for a very small amount of daylight that I can see at the edges.

Any recommendations, something a diy-er could do?

Comments

Advertisement