Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Paperwork/forms to complete for selling cattle in mart and for NI buyers - and advice needed

• 23-08-2021 1:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 142 ✭✭

Hi guys,

First time selling cattle. What forms do i need to complete to sell cattle in the mart, do i need extra paperwork to have the export ready (im in Sligo so would assume that NI buyers would be active). Can i complete these forms online?

Another question, I have 7 fresian bullocks, all only 18 months old approx. I wont be keeping them for the winter as I dont have the facilities yet. I want to sell maybe 2 in the next couple of weeks and then keep the other 5 until the end of October. Am i better off selling the 2 best now (they wouldnt be fit to kill but could be fattened) or the 2 "worst", these would defo need to be carried for the winter and be out on grass next year again. My thoughts if I kept the best 5 I could fed them some nuts for the next 2 months.

Thoughts and advise please

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,415 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

I'd be tempted to cut losses on the worst two when buyers can still put them to grass for a while.

I wouldn't hold onto to the others too long into the autumn as it will be hard to maintain condition on them as the Atlantic bites in (assuming you're in an exposed area). Running them on might result in ground poaching so make sure you're not screwing yourself for the spring time.

You considered dropping them sooner and getting a few sheep to run the fields over the winter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,349 ✭✭✭✭Base price

You do not need to fill out any forms when selling livestock through the mart. The mart will take care of the necessary paperwork whether they are bought by a local or Northern buyer. Just make sure that they are in test and that you have the correct card corresponding to each animal's tag number with you when you arrive at the mart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 142 ✭✭jaginsligo

Do I have to apply for a "movement" to go to the mart?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

No the mart does all that

As Base Price mentioned all you have to do is bring the blue card and ensure they’re in test

Happy selling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 142 ✭✭jaginsligo

Thanks lads

• Advertisement
Advertisement