Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK driver wants to drive Irish car in Ireland for extended periods

Options
  • 29-07-2021 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭

I'm aware that UK drivers can drive in Ireland for normal holiday periods. I also know that UK drivers could swap their licenses for Irish ones (at least up to Brexit). I've a different situation, and I don't think either of those applies.

My sibling is domiciled in the UK. They also own a house in Ireland, which they visit for up to a year at a time. They have two cars in the UK and a UK driving license, which they need and cannot give up / exchange. On recent visits to Ireland they have hired a rental car, for months at a time. Now they are considering either: a) importing one of theirs car to Ireland and re-registering, or b) buying a new car in Ireland.

Apart from the complexity of importing, in either case they will have to register, tax, and insure a car in Ireland. Can they do all this on a UK driving license? Is there a time limit on driving in Ireland on a UK license after which it is no longer considered a "holiday". Might they have to do an Irish driving test and get an Irish license. Can you even do that while domiciled in the UK? From what I can tell you don't need any license details to tax a car. Insurance might be more tricky.

Scratching my head here as I cannot seem to find anything that applies to people domiciled in the UK but spending a large amount of time (possibly more than a year) in Ireland. Any help appreciated.

Comments

Advertisement