Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Whats the longest distance you have ever cycled?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 l04istanceinstance

I think that break my PB!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,076 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

95km, just warming up to be honest. Do feel to be able to do more would need a pitstop to unload fluids and reload foods.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

NamelessPhill will be along soon to make everyone feel inadequate.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

She sure will! In the meantime, I'll get in there with my 300km :-)

Distance: 301.59km

Moving Time: 11:30:55

Elevation: 2,298m

Weighted Avg Power: 178W

Total Work: 6,400kJ

Avg Speed: 26.2km/h

MaxSpeed: 56.9km/h

Elapsed Time: 12:22:35

• Registered Users Posts: 9,264 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Liege Bastogne Liege sportive for me, include the commute to/ from the start/ finish...

275.5km;

4606m elevation;

moving time 12.19;

5826kj burned;

circa 15000 kj consumed in Stroopwafel and liege waffle's;

long term circulation issues due to how cold I got!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,279 ✭✭✭positron

True, NamelessPhil will come along with 4 digit numbers as response.

I thought my Drogheda-Buncrana rides would be my longest in around 220k mark, but strangely enough according to Strava it is the lap of Co. Louth, 216k, 10h55m, 1721m elevation (Clermont Carn) and a crash (into the back of a parked van, doh).

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭strmin

My longest was Evil 2021. 201 km. Couldn't look at my bike for a few days afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Alias G

335km across central France on day 13 of transcontinental race. Moving time 14.09.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Ring of Kerry is 170km. That's my longest I reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Longest for me in a 24hr period was 420km, Brown Stuff Audax event which must have been 10 years ago now.

Very tough with a lot of climbing and had never done more than 200km prior so cycling during the night on dark country roads was a new experience. Later that summer finished the Red Line/Lane 600km event but that was over 40hrs so managed to get a couple of hours sleep/rest before tackling the final 180km leg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

Boards Evil 2016 - 290.36 km with 5,641m, followed by the Liege Bastogne Liege Challenge in 2019, 276.53 km with 4,348m.

Longest time on the Bike would be the Race Around Ireland but that doesn't count as it was a relay.

Post edited by daragh_ on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Cycled from Waterford to Killarney - 199km ! (too b0llixed to round it up to 200) 😁

Then did the ring of kerry the next day ..

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Morris Garren

247km in the Tour of Flanders sportive; over 10 hours on the road, Paterberg @230+ km was like crawling up a wall carrying a bag of spuds behind me....

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭ARX

300 km Vätternrundan.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭nilhg

613.7km, 3858m in the first Audax Ireland 24hr TT

593.4km, 3949M Mizen to Malin 2015 aim was to do it in less than 24 hours but it finished up closer to 25

Not sure which was harder, and I haven't gone back to do either again, yet anyway......

• Registered Users Posts: 20,032 ✭✭✭✭neris

Back in 2010 about 230km. 15km cycle from home to start of an organised ride in city, 200km ride to finish in same location as start and 15km back home. Wicklow 200 in 2011 2nd longest and not done much over 100km in the last 10 years due to pure laziness and beer

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

220km from Strandhill, Sligo to Santry. On my old Tourer so was very comfortable for the day. Nice route. No challenging hills .Perfect weather for the day. Timed my stops wrong though. I did this in the immediate aftermath of a stag though, so was relying on luck more than sense to get me through.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭pairofpears

220km on the Royal Canal a few weeks ago. Was walking like an old man after it but would do it again and push for longer distances.

Does anyone bring some extra Chamois cream to reapply during a long ride like a 200km or more spin?

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭wowy

406km on a lap of Meath (including to & from my house in South Dublin). 15.58 moving, 19.42 total elapsed, and 12k cals. I'm doing all the Leinster counties, and this was the longest, but I had 4 300km+ days too. Just 1 county left, and I can't wait to be done.

@pairofpears yeah, I bring some extra chamois cream for long days. I've been lucky and have avoided downpours, so haven't had to consider changes of kit, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭pairofpears

I must get a small tub to put some chamois cream in my saddle bag as the canal spin was a bit hard on me but you live and learn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

243km around the Dublin border last September. I usually try to do a couple of 200s each year and hope to keep that up but have no real ambition to get to the 300 mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

90km or so a few months after getting a road bike after two years on an MTB. First spin over my usual 40/50km, no gels or anything. Legs were knackered but also bonked. Was around 20km from home and in an urban area so lots of lights, roundabouts etc so couldn't even crawl home.

Done a few 70-80km spins after but nothing major. I usually keep it short, 2-3 hours max.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

You called? 1430km on London-Edinburgh-London in 2017. https://strava.app.link/0PRHz8aEXib

A couple of 1000km rides ( The Celtic Knot) two Paris-Brest-Paris 1200km (ok the second one I DNF'ed after 1,000) and a Race Around Ireland Ultra 1,065km.

The furthest I've gone in 24 hours is 475km.

I don't get out of bed for less than 200km.😀

Two Audax Ireland lads just finished the Mille Miglia 1,600km Audax in Italy over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭bmc58

I've pushed a broken down Honda 50 10 miles back home when I was in my youth.Boy it felt like a long way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭meercat

Celtic knot 1000km over 3days. 375km longest day

• Registered Users Posts: 24,948 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

341km on the 1st July 2015.

One of those great 'unplanned' rides where you just keep going another bit, and another bit, and another bit..... Because it was the 1st of the month, I was no.1 in the world for a couple of hours on the Strava distance challenge (until someone in Japan posted a 600k ride!).

https://www.strava.com/activities/337138881

• Registered Users Posts: 2 DeSpudPicker

Class!!! how did you find this event? it is an event i was thinking about doing (prior to covid putting a halt to such travel)

i've done 2 300k cycles. i do a good few 200k cycles but rarely go beyond that point.

Post edited by DeSpudPicker on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Ah if we can count multiday

I've done the C2C in 2.

St Bees to Whitby - 270km. But we got a bit lost in Yorkshire so was nearer 290 😏

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

198.9km.... did a 200k Audax, missed a turn and ended up shaving a bit off the distance by the time I rerouted... was too beat to be doing laps of the carpark to make up for it at the end🤣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,525 ✭✭✭billyhead

I reckon you have a rake of 200 or more Km rides under your belt. For me it was 230km.

Advertisement