Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Don't buy in a new estate

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Once over the Part V requirement, they aren't selling them at cost.

Some estates may end up carrying the Part V for another project of the same developer (with consent of the local authority) and in those cases they'll be cost

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

And that's usually what happens. But every once in a while they end up housing somebody who just doesn't care about anything or anyone, who is usually well known in the area. And things go downhill quick, so fast it surprises some people who have never lived in the scope of somebody like that before. And the absolute worst case scenario, is the place gets so bad that only others of that ilk end up moving into the street/estate. They don't fear anything in the system, it doesn't matter to them if they end up in jail/court. In fairness to the councils, they are aware of this and do try to not let it happen but it can and does.

In a first hand account, my mother in laws apartment complex has seen a number of landlords and private owners sell up in the last 2 years as a single social housing unit has made life unbearable in a block of 12 apartments. To the point where half of them are currently empty and will probably remain that way until eviction. And the kicker, this is the second tenant in which they are pressuring for eviction, the first was evicted after 3 years of terrorising people there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I was in Ikea yesterday.

Had something to eat looking out the window accross the road.

Ahh, social housing, I said to myself.

Hope nobody paid their hard earned cash for one of those houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭Allinall

if that’s the reason, then they deserve to lose money on the sale.

Someone who isn’t a prejudiced snob will get a bargain.

Post edited by Allinall on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

So just over half at 54%, not as effective as the posters "Majority" is it? Ok yes technically over half is a majority. I'd like to know what affect the pandemic had on the survey. Ill leave this here for you; when-writing-about-survey-data-51-might-not-mean-a-majority

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭hognef

If you had looked close enough, you would have noticed that the 54% was for 2020, and that the number was in fact slightly higher in 2019 (i.e. before the pandemic).

And, unless the authors of the document got their numbers from a survey of a limited number of households, requiring margins of error and confidence levels, your link is not relevant and the 54% is in fact an actual majority.

I never denied that it was an "actual majority" did I? And yes the article is irrelevent if it were only to highlight the use of confidence levels and margins of errors but if you read it again it also highlights how the use of the word majority can be misleading. Again, 54% is an actual majority yes, no denying that but the way the poster used it was questionable in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭hognef

Including a link to an article about when a "majority" isn't actually a majority brought you pretty close to implying exactly that.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,433 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I know this is a sensitive issue but there is undoubtedly a big moral hazard at play with new estates.

Clearly it's not all social tenants but it can't be said often enough - you get just one dysfunctional family next to you and your life could be pretty much destroyed, in fact the whole estate can be dragged down. And try having the council move them on...if you're talking upwards of half estates as social housing you are in a really bad situation if you've bought. If you are talking 10% social housing there is a decent enough chance you'll get away with the anti social behaviour and effect on your property value. You're not really getting away with it at 40%.

I think that it is a desperately unfair situation.

My advice - do all the research you can in advance.

Would I buy in a new estate currently? On balance probably not due to this issue. It's too big a gamble.

• Advertisement

I said "Ok yes technically over half is a majority" and I provided the article to highlight how the word majority can be misused. How you interpret that is none of my business.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

So the majority in social housing is unemployed like I originally said and was told I was lying.

Thanks for the clarification.

We can now move forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

We have a major problem when a nurse or a garda can't afford to buy a house. It would be alot cheaper for the council to build new estates than to be paying 700k for one house. I thought builders had to set aside 10 per cent of units for social housing in New estates

I did.

They made me an offer approx 20% over what I paid for it a couple of months after I closed.

I couldnt refuse that in the end.

I didnt find out it was the council who bought it until afterwards either. It was all very cloak and dagger.

Planning Permission went in there a couple of weeks ago for stables and a huge extension.

I think i know who they bought it for now.

I also grew up in a council estate. 95% of people are great. One bad family moves in. They destroy the area and bring in all sorts of anti-social behaviour. Neighbors sell up and move out for some peace before the value drops even more.

Another scumbag family move in. Things get worse. More decent people move out. Then another.

It turns into a spiral.

Where I grew up went like that. No way would I raise a child in that place now, even though I still know a fair few friends still there. Basically they are stuck now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Social housing needs to exist, but we also need to live in a fair society.

It is unfair a person who has done everything right (education, working hard, saving, living within means) has to pay significantly more than a person who hasn't put in the effort.

I'm so glad I left Ireland.

Ah no sympathy from you for the people living beside the house you sold then....

the hypocrisy is strong...

Also, you prove the point that social housing is everywhere, not just new estates.

On the contrary.

I feel desperately sorry for them, as anyone would.

In fact, had I known the council were the buyers and what was going to go in beside them I never would have sold the house to the council.

I would not do that to anyone.

Would you have any sympathy for them yourself?

Easy to say now!

No, I wouldn't have any sympathy, why would i?

because their new neighbours will be council tenants? Why would that need sympathy? No need for any.

Just new neighbours.

Do you think their new neighbors might devalue their houses?

No, why would I ?

prices are still going up. And what difference does it make how much the house you live in is worth?

it only matters if you sell, and as we can see from the last 18 months the property market is dependant on lots of factors and no-one can predict what will happen.

there are plenty of council tenants in houses, either bought by the council or their rent paid by HAP, all over the country. Zero affect on house prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Can a seller tell an estate agent that they only want to sell to owner occupiers or would that be seen as discrimination?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭mondeo

My parents house in Firhouse D24 fell victim to the house next store being bought up by the council and used for social housing. My parents spent years of hell with the tenants shouting, screaming and banging things day and night, slamming doors, smoking hash in the garden and generally piss drunk. They have loads of large dogs roaming their garden and neighbours complained about them barking, the tenants went around putting hand written threatening notes under neighbours doors including my parents as some sort of revenge for whoever complained about their dogs. "WE KNOW ITS YOU, YOULL BE SORRY!" Ignorant feckers ! Did the council kick them out after threatening the neighbours ? No! They said it wasn't serious enough and that they just made threats and didn't actually follow them up.

My mum would say there is no pride in anyone who gets something for free while everyone else pays for it (house).The only way to get away from a family like that is either they move out or we move out.

I'm sure some social housing tenants are superb people but some are definitely not. I myself lived close to a social house estate in Tallaght for years and sold my own house to buy another to get away from the crowds of little young lads who spawned from the place and making trouble in our estate.

I think social housing in New development's is a bad idea. It only takes one family to piss off the entire street. Word gets around and the house prices fall in that area. Why should I buy a new home for 450k to have an ungrateful bunch of loud mouths getting the same house across my road for free ? It's not about snobbery, it's about getting a 20 year mortgage and expecting peace and quiet and respect from your neighbours.

Its not discrimination, the seller can sell to whoever they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Luxemburgo

This post is absolute poppycock

Why would anyone turn down 20% profit on a house....

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Luxemburgo

Like many things in society, there is absolutely no punishment for bad behavior for certain cohorts of society. It is this and not social housing that is the problem.

Needs to be a big push to a) ensure this cohort feel like they have opportunities (or thier kids at least) and b) treat them like most of society and let them see that causing problems have consequences

I'm not saying they should.

just pointing out the hypocrisy of posters, complaining about social housing tenants in housing estates, then selling to the council 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭paulieeye

He said he didnt know he was selling to the council so where is the hypocrisy?

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Bargain_Hound

As a previous home owner (and neighbour to a row of council houses) in an estate that was largely sold to the local council, I wouldn't do it again. We luckily sold and moved specifically for this reason as the trouble it brought to our doorstop caused misery, and it was only the beginning. A common thought that maybe was none of my business but I couldn't loose was the fact I spent 4 years saving a deposit in tough jobs and paying a large mortgage while my non-working neighbours didn't have to deal with this.

We now currently live in another estate with a large grouping of social housing. We knew this when moving, but it is at the opposite end of the estate so causes us no trouble where we are in the estate but there is constant trouble around there. A very obvious mix of demographics. I wouldn't live on that street if you paid me. And unfortunately it seems only a handful out of several hundred is enough to really really cause a bad name for an area. First hand experience. Gardai are frequently in and the physical appearance around it tells a lot. "a picture paints a thousand words" comes to mind.

And I'm far far from a snob. I feel sorry for genuine house buyers who buy and end up in the situation we were in but I'm so thankful we sold up and moved.

I genuinely don't know what the solution really is, because large council estates don't work either. But the problem here is the large REITs buying up and renting back to council/housing agencies. They must view our housing model as a total cash cow.

Post edited by Bargain_Hound on

ah yeah, he said.

didn't say he wouldn't though did he?

didn't tell the estate agent he wouldn't sell to the council on principle, did he

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement