Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Roof Racks for EVs thread

• 11-08-2021 6:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭

Despite the fact that roof racks would hurt dramatically the range capabilities of any EV, I am sure they will become more popular and used among the EV drivers, especially with the ever increasing size and efficiency of the batteries.

I thought it would be good to have one thread with roof racks related posts that would be helpful to many.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

And to start the conversation - I am actively searching for roof rack options for my Kia eSoul. It would be used to carry 3 (possibly 4 in future) bicycles and/or a rooftop box. With the current range of my eSoul I’m pretty sure I’d be alright going heavy loaded anywhere in Ireland and since baba number 2 is with us now, the cargo space is scarce…

When I bought my car last year, the dealer said they’d be available in future. I will ring them at some stage today to find out if they are in stock and what’d be the damage.

Meanwhile I found this on the USA Kia Soul accessories webpage: https://www.kiaaccessoryguide.com/accessories/Soul/2020

I know they don’t do the EV but the car is the same so I hope I’d be able to gather more info re EU options and availability.

I tried the Thule website, but since I know a little about the roof rack systems and how they work, I found it hard to navigate.

So yeah… will post some updates when I have more info…

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Whatwicklow

I had one for my Kona, it was the noise that made me get rid of it in the end, the sound was dreadful amplified by the silence of the car is guess.

Went back to hanging the bikes off the back on a fold away type rack.

What roof racks did you use?

I thought about that option too and decided it wouldn’t suit as it’s not only bikes I’d be carrying around. I would be using the roof rack for more stuff e.g. piece of wood, ladder or whatever else I need to move. Can’t fit a hitch on the Kia to pull a trailer and every time (all the time 🤣 since I’m a keen DIY-er) I need to get some wood planks I end up borrowing by neighbours van with trailer. It’s not a nice thing to keep asking so roof racks will come handy.

I guess comfort in the cabin is not as important at the moment as the abilities to carry stuff.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I still have all my Thule feet and racks from my last car, really should move them on...

Anyhow, I asked a Tesla guy what impact if I used them on my S and he said 10-15% rails and 30-40% roof box...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

My Dad uses one of those sea sucker jobbies.

Its excellent.

He would be carrying furniture and kitchens etc on it and they are fine for that.

Would easily handle bikes or luggage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

Noise was the only problem with roof box on, so didn't go over 110kph on motorway. Only used in summer getting better efficiency than winter without bars or box.

I’d say yours would be pretty similar to the eSoul. Would you have a part number by any chance?

Hopefully this works.......

We had to buy the basic Halfords bars as the decent low noise ones were sold out. Box is nice design made by Thule.

Spoke to Kia parts dept. €370 incl VAT for the roof bars alone. The lad on the other side of the line said the price is just ridiculous and advised to try Halfords…

10/10 for honesty! They should be half that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

Did a trip with the Kona from Achill to Dublin today in very windy conditions with a large roof box. Ended up at 16.5kwh/100km. Would typically get 14.5 without the box.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

14% impact is very low for a roof box, good result so

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Redlim

I got the Atera Signo RTD 048522 roof bars for my Niro. Suitable for cars with flush rails so should be fine for the Soul also.

They're a best buy on the roof box.co.uk site.

Bought them from Germany under the below link but seem to be out of stock atm. They were about €200 delivered and the company were very good to deal with.

https://www.autoteile-immler.com/atera-signo-rtd-relingtraeger-048522-122-cm-alu-aero

Got the same Halfords roof box mentioned above and am very happy with both the box and the bars.

Thank you!

Roll on Monday - will be going to Halfords.

Went to Halfords Portlaoise.

Staff’s ability to think out the box - Zero!

Looked in the system to get the type of roof rack fittings for my 2020 eSoul - Not in the system, can’t be got - he said. Would not even try to look for any solution when I said to him there has to be a solution since Kia have them themselves, can’t be that different to other models on the market…

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Redlim

Yeah for the roof bars I noticed Halfords online product search was useless as it showed no results for the Niro either. But they should definitely have something that will fit if someone in the store has a bit of knowledge.

You could also try Mick's Garage.

I'm sure the Atera set I linked earlier would fit the Soul also as they are essentially one size fits all as they are adjustable width and the feet that clamp to the integrated car rails are not model dependent - it's all one piece as opposed to the Thule bars which come with multiple parts depending on your car. They're very study and very quiet also.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,495 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I have a permanent roof rack on my Outlander PHEV. I got one in Micks Garage and it whistled but once I put roof pads (for the good of my surfboards) on it they became ninja silent.

Edit - Haven't seen a reduction in mileage due to the nature of my driving. Mainly urban and slow. Have a van for the motorway runs.

Post edited by John_Rambo on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Try roofbox.co.uk Even though they say they don't ship to Ireland they will for £20. I found their selection pretty good. My car came with a set of Whispbars but not the feet and roofbox was the only place that stocked the ones I wanted.

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

That's some great efficiency both with and without a roofbox. I assume most that route isn't motorway?

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

That's correct. I go by Longford rather than Athlone so skip out almost all motorway driving. Only 5 minutes in the difference between the two but it's a far more efficient route.

Despite not being motorway, it's still an easy-going drive. I've done several runs to Achill and back this Summer. I went by Athlone the first time I got the car and it was 18.9kwh/100km with a packed car and roof box (worst efficiency I've ever had by a distance) so I've not gone that way since.

• Advertisement

I get 18.9kw/100km with no roof racks 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 13,621 ✭✭✭✭josip

I don't think you can expect the Halford's staff to take a risk that could get them in trouble.

If they made the wrong choice that resulted in damage to the car roof or the box coming off on the motorway, then they'll be hung out to dry if they advised some part that wasn't recommended by their systems.

Post edited by josip on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭spakman

What rails and roof box do you have? I have a Kona too and space is at a premium with two kids!

I got quite lucky with roof bars for my eSoul.

A gentleman was selling a set of original Kia roof racks since he’s sold his eSoul and moved onto an EV6. For the price of €150 I was ready to meet him even in his hometown, but we agreed to meet halfway and I got to look at the GTE version of the EV6, a gorgeous vehicle.

So, yeah, that’s me sorted with racks and now off to the roof rack box thread to get a good one so we gain some space. The little recent arrival has really decreased the available space for luggage once you put the buggy and baby bags in the boot 😄

Advertisement