Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BER new house

Options
  • 22-08-2021 8:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Looking for some advice.

I'm building a small one bed house, only 50 sq mtrs.

I've had the initial BER report drafted for the commencement notice and to get to the required regulations I will need to fit a heat pump and some solar panels. Whilst I do want to genuinely make the house energy efficient with a very high level of insulation and air tightness the cost of the heat pump and solar panels fitted comes in at over 18K on a total build budget of 65K ( like I said very small house). The cost of the heat pump and solar panels is making the build finacially unviable ( i will only being running 3 radiators). I was planning on using energy efficient electric radiators, electric and efficient water heating cylinder and a sealed external air flow stove.

Does anyone know what the consequences are if I do not follow all the BER reports recommendations on the build and if, when the BER test is completed and the end of the build it doesn't maybe meet the A standard recommended, what are the consequences of that.

Like I said it will be a highly efficient building but current recommendations are not viable cost wise.

Thanks

Post edited by Boards.ie: Niamh on

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

You're in the wrong forum.

Better in Construction and Planning.

If your house doesn't comply with Part L of Building Regs, then it doesn't comply with Building Regs.

No architect/engineer can "sign off" the build.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,076 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

The purpose of the preliminary BER assessment (though I hate that reference, it's a Part L assessment, not a BER) is to find out what you have to do to comply with Part L of building regs.

If you don't do what's on the report, you don't know if you are regulation compliant or not

As your build is small, there should be other specifications explored.

Exhaust Air heat pump might be one.

An air to air heat pump could be another

An lpg boiler with pv cells may also be more economically viable.

Or even a wood based log gasification burner

As an aside, I highly doubt you need to install solar panels AND a heat pump to be regulation compliant. That's over kill. I haven't yet seen any situation where a good heat pump on its own didn't provide the required renewable energy

• Registered Users Posts: 9,774 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

You need the specific input from your professional advisor. Since they told you the building will be highly efficient they will be able to show how the design can reach the required standard.

Advertisement