Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

WWE Summerslam 2021 (Contains Spoilers)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭Pentecost

The kid's 15 isn't he? Bit creepy to be saying much about him one way or another. Surprised WWE allowed him to get involved in a physical way, but I assume Bill and the wife signed the necessary waivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,836 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Brock attacked Cena in the ring

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭TimesArrow

Really didn’t like how the Becky return was booked.. Cole and McAfees reaction was so distractingly OTT trying to convey it was was the biggest return of the week ( along with Brock) and then she beats Bianca in seconds..

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭rodders999

The commentary shouting all over the Brock and Becky returns sounded brutal and is such a massive turn off.

Stark comparison to the way the Punk return was handled the night before where the viewer was just allowed to soak up the reaction of both the crowd and Punk without being subjected to some idiot screaming a constant moronic dialogue down the microphone for the entirety of the entrance.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,274 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Anyone going to tell Brock topknots are not the look anymore :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,786 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I think Sasha forced their hand. You could tell from the moment Carmella came out that the fans were gonna s#!t all over the match so they send Becky out. they may have even been doing a wait and see. If the fans hadn't reacted the way they did, Becky mightn't have come out. I think if Bianca's character had been shown to be anything but all happy they could've just had her beat the crap out of Carmella before pinning her to send a message to Sasha. Or even just pin her as quick as Becky pinned Bianca.

Ans as has been said, the camera work was really bad. If it wasn't for us knowing her music, we wouldn't have known it was her for a bit into it. Was like AJ all over again, though at least we knew Becky's music and knew why the crowd were reacting.

And Charlotte won again. Yay! 🙄 I think they need to just move Toni to Raw now. I was happy Nikki won but the character just didn't work plus she kept losing after. Is there anyone on the Raw roster that people would like to see as champion? Asuka is liked but WWE never know what to do with her then, which is why we haven't seen her in a while.

When Brock came out I was thinking McGregor looks to have bulked up a bit. Think Cena must've been hoping the camera would be looking at him from the front the whole time. Looks like we'll hear a lot more from Heyman in the coming weeks. Remembering when he sided with Big Show.

So any word on why Sasha wasn't there? Unless it was all planned to bring back Becky, which I doubt. Yet she'll probably come back and get a title match anyway even after pulling out of a match at such a big event.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭Pentecost

The working theory seems to be that Sasha wasn't allowed to work because she's not vaccinated, she's a not very well hidden anti vaxxer. I think they knew right well the crowd would crap all over Carmella as a replacement so they were always going to have Becky come out. Whether they would have brought her back if Sasha was there is another question.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,102 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

If Bianca is a "young superstar" then so is Becky. They're 32 and 34 respectively.

I hope it's a heel turn for her. The Man is a heel character anyway, lean into the arrogance.

Agree with @The White Wolf on the Hook stuff. Oddballs.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Becky back is good.

But doing that to Bianca is ridiculous. Have a triple threat that goes for 15+ minutes. Show Bianca is at her level let Carmella eat the pin and move on 2 faces shake hands at the end move on.

Bianca would look like she can go toe to toe. Carmella who was well beaten by Bianca in their feud doesn't get harmed by the loss even taking 2 finishers to hammer it home.

Instead they present that they have no one at Becky's level on Smackdown

In logical thinking, why was Carmella booked as a replacement anyway if they had Becky backstage? It's not like Becky sneaked in the back, got her entrance music and video ready in secret, on a timer to give her time to get to the entrance then came out.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Young is probably the wrong word. "Fresh" maybe instead.

WWE have a lack of fresh faces at the top of the card, hence why both of their main events were against lads who wrestle once or twice a year. Having a Becky who hasn't wrestled in over a year come back and beat your fresh champ in under 5 seconds just makes your fresh character look stupid.

Anyway, zero chance of Becky turning heel. The issue with her character is the harder they lean into the arrogance, the more the crowd will get behind her. This idea of "The fans want something, so let's try and do the utter opposite" is the type of mindset that puts people off wrestling. It's the same as trying to say AEW should have done some swerve with Punk. You don't have to actively antagonize fans by spoiling what they want to get behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,416 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Well I’m assuming that most people in wwe like having their necks in the position nature intended so probably not.

I liked that Becky was back but Jesus h Christ can Micheal Cole shut up for once and let the pictures on screen tell the story ?

As I said live I don’t get Matt riddles gimmick but there’s something with him and orton that works.

the Damien priest vs sheamus match was great and nice to see priest win.

I like Alexa bliss but this character doesn’t work and while her character has magical elements to it, she isn’t a magician and Eva Marie can’t wrestle to save her life so that match was doomed to failure.

i felt sorry for Bobby lashley because why did he do to have to face Goldberg in 2021.

I loved the brood music and edges entrance and he should keep that. Brock returning was nice to see and Paul heyman can put people over by not even saying a word. His expressions are amazing.

is she a well known anti Vaxxer ? I must not pay that much attention to her social media then because I’d have said she was as far away from being an anti vaxxer but apparently not.

Matt Riddle and Orton remind me of that cartoon with the big and small dogs

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

You know what's madness...

wwe chose bianca to win the rumble, then the women's title at mania. Good ol push, right?

But then WWE bring out a returning Becky and job the person they've been building up for the last 10 months in 27 seconds.

Doesn't make any sense. Even if wwe want to set up a fued with both women why job Bianca out so quick and easy? And if you look at the crowd last night when becky won everyone is meh.

She’s retweeted and the likes a lot of “I don’t need a mask, my immune system is strong enough to fight this off, my healing crystals will take care of the rest!” Types of posts on social media.

I don’t think she’s outright said she’s anti-vax. Just liked a lot of things that makes it look like she’s part of the venom diagram.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,701 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

It's the type of thing that you can brush off when it's a once off, but when it's done repeatedly it conditions fans to be sceptical of pushes and to limit their emotional investment. It's the same thing that's done every Wrestlemania season... we are thought that the wrestlers who have been featured for the previous 11 months are inferior to the stars of yesteryear who are parachuted into the main spots, often against each other.

My €5 treble of Charlotte, Roman and Bobby paid back €12.50

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,716 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Anyone think the entrance team audio for both Becky and Brocks returns were low

The Brood stuff is so forced but I don't care, it's so cool.

I have to say Edge looks so old a lot older than his 47 years and he makes Goldberg look young.

Meltzer saying they knew Sasha was off the show eight days ago, and Becky wasn’t meant to return quiet yet.

Theres also apparently video of Sasha backstage too.

so, in fairness, could be something other than COVID.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,123 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Edge shifting to a Brood gimmick had to be the most random thing ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭ThePott

Overall Summerslam was a bit of a dud. For a show where WWE were apparently gonna do big things, it was a frustrating mess and mostly trash.

Becky returning was a mess, it could have been a great moment but having her squash Bianca left such a sour taste. As for the 8 Days thing people are suggesting that Dave is just saying that because that's when she was removed from house shows, others are suggesting they didn't know until the last minute whether Sasha could compete. So who knows but either way, the return angle could have been done so much better. Why even bring Carmella out when she had no purpose? Could have used her so you didn't have to make anyone look bad.

I did think the other Women's title match was much better, actually a pretty decent showing. Charlotte winning is a bit expected and boring but anyway. Less said about Eva/Alexa the better, totally pointless and the only thing that could have made it interesting was a big spectacle but they couldn't be arsed. Drew/Jinder was a waste of time as well. That dripstick stuff was the sort of segment that someone sees and you have to deny you watch wrestling, horrendous.

Tag matches were okay. Althought sick of Mysterios and Usos at this stage. Think Dominik has been elevated beyond his ability, don't care for the Mysterio stuff anymore overall tbh. Lashley and Goldberg was what it was, Goldberg really needs to be done though, at one stage he looked like he landed on his head and he's either going to get himself hurt or someone else. Say what you want but at least a few years back he looked like he could go, not anymore. Guessing we're getting a rematch in Saudi Arabia, which scares me into thinking he might win.

Best matches of the night for me were Priest/Sheamus. Had high hopes for it and after a slow start it paid off and Priest winning was the right call. Edge/Rollins was probably match of the night, the Brood stuff was goofy but fun and they have great chemistry, Edge needed a win to be honest. Main event was alright, nothing amazing.

As for Brock. Ponytail needs to go mate! While I could go without seeing another Brock/Roman feud, the Paul Heyman aspect and Brock being a face has me interested, guessing this is a Saudi show too. Hope Roman hammers him to be honest, would like to see Brock have some non-main event feuds as much as that's probably not gonna happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,123 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I dig Brock's new look, works for me. First time he's changed it up in 20 years hopefully he keeps it.

Looking forward to his promos actually as well without Heyman.

• Advertisement

Setting up for Saudi is a bit strange since we still have Extreme Rules before then. But I guess they wanted these things with a crowd.

With these title changes, I'm wondering are we getting a draft soon.

Advertisement