Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Into the Night [Netflix] [**SPOILERS**]

• 24-04-2020 5:27pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭

This looks utterly preposterous, but equally, I'm curious how well they run with it: reads like Snowpiercer, only on a Belgian plane outrunning the Sunrise. Comes out May 1.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,810 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Oh that does look like fun!

I have watched the first 2.
    It is trashy but fun, I can see I doing pretty well.
    A real euro pudding of a show.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Reminds me of a certain X-Files episode. Might give it a go but I've been let doen before by so many shows with an interesting premise which fall apart when they have to explain it.

I have finished all 6 episodes.
    I am a sucker for these kind of shows.
    I would say the acting and story were a tad all over the place and the dialogue was pretty bad but it was fun

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Gave the first episode a whirl and it was a lot of fun. Total nonsense but carried with commitment and a near breakneck pace. And at 6 episodes it shouldn't outstay its welcome either. Props at least to the writers for not dragging the arse out of the premise. 10 minutes, bang, we're off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

Yup, finished in one day, terrible situations they get into, bad acting, poor script, had to watch to the end, guilty pleasure........can't wait for season 2. So bad it's good........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Some of the words I picked up reading here, nonsense, trashy and fun perfectly describe this.

This show is totally down my avenue and I loved every minute of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Watched 2 episodes last night. Terrible acting and daft storyline but loving it anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

loving it, watched 3 last night will finish it off this week some time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Finished this up and yup, thoroughly enjoyed that. Pulpy to its core and all the better for it. The convenience that the flight had just the right mix of people was a little pat but then without that, there'd be no plot. The international mix of languages made a nice change too.

Actually thought some of the acting was decent: everyone played it broad, but straight. No arch winking at the audience thankfully. Would totally watch a season 2, even if I'm not sure how you repeat the same loop without diminishing returns.

Perfect summer TV show TBH.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JoeExotic81

Was it just me or did it appear to skip an episode between 5-6?
    They were past Bulgaria when they learned of the bunker, and then the next episode they were approaching Bulgaria suddenly?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

pretty sure they had to
    turn back and travel east to once they discovered the shelter was in bulgaria

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JoeExotic81

pretty sure they had to
    turn back and travel east to once they discovered the shelter was in bulgaria

Which makes no sense after their
    leisurely time in Brussels with zero time to spare.
    But yeah I felt it fell to pieces in the last 3 episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

It started off well and really exciting but by the end, I got sick of tired clichéd characters and silly double-crossing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Basq wrote: »
    It started off well and really exciting but by the end, I got sick of tired clichéd characters and silly double-crossing.

I felt the opposite.

It was delightfully campy at the start, but by the end you actually started to care about these paper thin characters.

I never would have thought that at the start that I’d be rooting for all these to survive at the end, and that’s including the asshat with the gun.

kerplun k wrote: »
    I felt the opposite.

It was delightfully campy at the start, but by the end you actually started to care about these paper thin characters.

I never would have thought that at the start that I’d be rooting for all these to survive at the end, and that’s including the asshat with the gun.

Same; though while they were paper thin, they didn't lack structure either. The arcs were all quite broad but the fundamentals were done right - so like yourself, was rooting for them. Even Rik, who was a bit of an unctuous ass for the most part. His little arc with Ayaz one of the character highlights.

I thought maybe this would be something lost in the CoVid limbo, but looks like Season 2 is on the way, dropping September 8. Delighted because this was yet another Netflix Euro show I found myself enjoying immensely.

Ohhh great to see it back,must say I am a tad shocked it's back too given all the shows Netflix haven't brought back

I can't see how it cost very much; there was one set for most of the season, the few exteriors set at night so probably easier / cheaper to shoot. And I haven't got the impression Netflix is as quick to cull its Euro shows as the American ones so maybe they're doing better in their home territories.

In any case, this has been a nice surprise of a show; very derivative and the premise probably doesn't need thinking too deeply about - but still enjoyable. Will be interesting to see if a second season can keep the pace and intrigue as high.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Season 1 was absolute nonsense but in a good way, will definitely check out season 2

• Advertisement

A full trailer is up; things look to be going swimmingly, as they often do in the post apocalypse

The new season has arrived, for anyone interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

The preposterous but entertaining concept of the first season has been followed up with by poor quality post apocalyptic tropes. I'll watch a couple of more episodes but I'm struggling

Only watched episode one but not great...the acting was always hit and miss...but it seems very miss so far...

Watched the first episode and Yeah; the seduction of that first season was in the focused, punchy premise and setting. Hard to keep the plane in the air all the time I guess. The bunker isn't immediately as interesting, though at least the soldiers don't seem universally awful as if often the case in these stories. The cliffhanger perked my interest too.

Second episode and yikes, didn't expect that. I'll say one thing for the show, there is almost never any fat in the episodes. Everything's 100 miles an hour.

Netflix's uses of subtitles for the English lines is distracting though, weirdly. Kinda distracts from when characters speak in their native tongues.

Belatedly finished this and it ended strong; albeit with a cliffhanger that begs a season 3. The change in setting with the bunker wasn't great at times, with the soldiers all generic 1 dimensional àssholes but the main cast kept things ticking.

And I guess for season 3 we'll have

A change of vehicle to flee the sun with a submarine! Albeit crewed by an unknown faction.

Advertisement