Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pressure switch to operate a 12v water pump

Options
  • 20-08-2021 10:07pm

Came across this earlier today

I have a water source that I'd like to fill various tanks from (not at the same time). I wonder would this do the job. The height isn't huge but distances are long. Be great to automatically fill a tank.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭emaherx

Any pressure switch should work with any voltage from 0v up to its max rated voltage. The switch is operated purely using the water pressure.

The bigger issue is will the 12V pump will produce enough pressure to operate the switch? So when selecting pumps/pressure switches this will be the consideration.

I found the pumps with integrated pressure switches to be unreliable (Seaflo), the pumps were fine but pressure switches not so much. In the end I used float switches in the tanks rather than rely on the integrated pressure switches, to be fair I probably was pushing the pumps beyond their claimed suction height leading to poor pressure.

Post edited by emaherx on

Float switch was my first idea, but then I'd need hundreds of meters of cable as the tanks are hundreds of meters away or a fancy do-dad from the other thread and I feel that cost rising significantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Fine Day

Having done something similar here, I would advise putting in a pressure tank and pressure switch like what you have on a well pump. If you want it to you could use it to fill cattle troughs. Add a solar panel or two and away you go.

Pressure switch would make most sense in this scenario, just make sure the pump can deliver enough pressure to the pressure switch to activate it, most decent pressure switches are adjustable over a certain range anyway.

As a mater of interest what sort of pump are you using for yours?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Fine Day

I dropped a 24 volt dc submersible pump down a bore well. It's a diaphragm pump from eBay. In it's third year now. Cheap and cheerful but does the job very well.

Advertisement