Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Estate - Audi A6 or Merc E300

Options
  • 10-06-2021 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭

Hi, thinking of changing my 2010 A6 saloon for an diesel Audi A6 Avant or Merc E300 estate.
    The Avant seems to be the more expensive. I'm looking at 2014/15 190bhp Avant and the E300 hybrid model.

Looks wise I probably refer the Audi S Line Black Edition but they are between €17k and €23k whereas the E300 can be got for €15k to €19k.

Does anyone have the E300 estate?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭kirving

Search my posts for opinions on the E300 Estate.

Had one for 2.5 years or so and loved it, despite a few issues. E300 was/is cheap due to 50% off VRT.

Don't go near one without a very good service history.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭TheBigGreen

kirving wrote: »
    Search my posts for opinions on the E300 Estate.

Had one for 2.5 years or so and loved it, despite a few issues. E300 was/is cheap due to 50% off VRT.

Don't go near one without a very good service history.

Thanks kirving

Personally I think the A6 avant is the best in its class. It really is value for money if you can get a high spec one. Like the A4 I didn't like the S Line suspension personally it's a bit tougher but test drive it and see if you like it.

It might just be me again but slightly older Mercs don't age well that's again just personal if it was me I'd push the budget and go for an Audi serious value to be had on the private market as well once it has fill main dealer history and a Audi health check

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭micah537

The A6 seems quite gutless. 0-100kmph in over 8 seconds AFAIK compared to the Mercedes under 6 seconds.

Also Audis really show their age when a new model comes out. The not an Audi fan so obviously biased.

No idea on the reliability but my brother had a CLS350 and currently the S400 and never had any issues with 40,000km per year average.

Have you test driven both yet? I'd start there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Casati

micah537 wrote: »
    The A6 seems quite gutless. 0-100kmph in over 8 seconds AFAIK compared to the Mercedes under 6 seconds.

Also Audis really show their age when a new model comes out. The not an Audi fan so obviously biased.

No idea on the reliability but my brother had a CLS350 and currently the S400 and never had any issues with 40,000km per year average.

Have you test driven both yet? I'd start there.

Merc is 7.5 sec to 100km. I’ve driven both and the Merc does feel a lot more powerful.

• Advertisement

Still looking around but I'm concentrating on a Merc. I'm interested in these 2 cars - E220 and E250.

The E250 is 3 years older and €2k ish cheaper than the E220 but I really like the E250, looks clean but I think is €14k€14.5k is a fair price!

Anyone have an opinion on these?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭kirving

While I'd still recommend the E300, I'd have the E220 of those two.

Premium Pack, Panoramic roof, better lights (auto high beam and nicer DRL's), Harmon Kardon, and while the senors are excellent on this, the camera is very welcome on something that size. Now you have me looking at revering back. Buy it before I do!

The E250 is sold now so I'll have to take a trip up to Dublin in the next few weeks to see the E220 (if it's not sold in the meantime).

You're right about the spec in the E220, going to test drive another E220 on Sunday to see if I'm happy with the drive and comfort!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Moanin

It looks as if the rear bumper was painted on the E220 and not the same shade of silver.....

• Advertisement

There's no way that's just the lighting, it doesn't match in any of the pictures that show the full side of the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 highpath

Hi TBG,

I have e350 estate and would highly recommend. Not sure if photo is visible...I much prefer the way the merc drives over audi. Brother had a 2017 A6 which I drove .I have had an A8 (which I loved , so not anti - audi ), steering feel is the big difference. Merc can be made to look well with the right wheels(and spacers), and they don't look dated (particularily if you get the ILS lights- they are unbelievable at night). I have been told mine looks better the the latest model. I also think the wagon looks better than saloon.

I have driven the e300 and it ticks a lot of boxes. Torque is the big factor with e250 and e300. Wife has c250, 500nm makes in gear acceleration impressive.

BTW my car is a 2013. The rear bumper also looks like it was repainted in certain light conditions (which it wasn't), but I believe that it is down to the plastic in the bumper combined with the silver paint. I have seen others like this also.

The 3l v6 diesel is a peach. Very smooth , quiet , 620nm torque. I know they are rare but they are the pick of the range. That said would have no problem with 250 or 300.

Mine is on 19's but would prefer 18's to have a bit taller rubber to help with our roads.

Let me know if you need any further info.

Thanks

Highpath

Post edited by highpath on

Finally picked up a E Class - E250 and very happy with it

Advertisement