Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

basic Garmin for running

Options
  • 18-08-2021 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

I have a Garmin Forerunner 110, 9yrs old and showing it. Anyone recommend a replacement, just need time, pace, heart-rate, no bells and whistles. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Unknownability

Pretty much any Garmin on the market now will do what you are looking for.

I've always liked the Garmin 235, it has a large easy to read screen and you can pick up a second hand one on adverts for €60/70.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Garmin 45 is the budget watch, but it’s an excellent bit of kit, it does everything you need and has some smart watch functionality.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Butterbeans

I upgraded from Forerunner 10 to Forerunner 35 4 years ago. Great piece of kit. Ticks all the boxes above and keeps it simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

235 is the natural replacement for the 110. Looks and feels very similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

I'll put my tuppence worth in and recommend the Garmin 55, it's an update to the 45 and has the option to view Garmin's new suggested workouts and is able to download Garmin training programs. If you really want the absolute basic Garmin running watch then get a 30/35, prices vary depending on site for the two watches, but as said above keep an eye out on adverts.

The thing is most people buy a product based on what their functionality is as opposed to what they need it for, mobile phones been the case in point. You might be tempted by more expensive Garmins based on what they can do, so, if you just wear the watch for running, go for the cheaper options but if you like the idea of a full time (on your wrist) smartwatch then look at higher spec watches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

The only spanner I'm going to throw into the above conservation is do you listen to music while running? People carry around phones running just to listen to music. You can transfer music, podcasts, etc to the watch and ditch the phone. This will increase the price to the mid range watches and you're probably looking at the Garmin 245 music. Otherwise stick with some of the above options. I'd definitely consider adverts as I'd an entry level second hand Garmin starting out before upgrading to a mid range Garmin which was perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

It's another thing you've to carry, charge, sync and somehow fix to your arm or someplace so it won't move or cause irritation. It is very small and cheap to be fair.

they work very well, weigh nothing and clip on anywhere (shorts waistline / collar etc) with built-in clip so irritation is a non issue

syncing is not an issue either really when you've dumped your running music on there

unless you are going to be regularly copying podcasts over but I personally don't listen to podcasts when running

also bluetooth music kills the battery on watches so your watch will last a lot longer in-between charges

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I think the best value Garmin for any regular runners are the 2xx range. Does everything that you are likely to need, but nothing you don't with the multisport and mapping stuff or shiny bezels. The lower range two digit models I think could easily be grown out of for someone running regularly, and the 6xx/ 7xx/ 9xx/ Fenix/ other wierd named models, all do things for other sports that your unlikely to ever need if just putting one foot in front of the other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,967 ✭✭✭✭event

I'll throw another option in. Coros Pace 2. I've moved away from Garmin for it, absolutely brilliant watch.

Has everything the garmins have and the battery life is amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭sk8board

I upgraded from the old garmin 15 to the garmin 45 - honestly its exactly what you need, and smartphone integration too.

I got mine on adverts for about €60-80, and they’re probably on sale now that the 55 is released and by all accounts there is almost no critical/functional reason to choose the 55 over the 45 if you just need a basic watch

Advertisement