Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waste Silage Tyre Disposal - Costs?

Options
  • 18-08-2021 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭

Afternoon all. There's a mix of car and truck waste tyres at home that were previously used for covering pits. They're no longer needed and a bit of an eyesore, especially after the covid cleanup that has has happened!

I'm trying to get a handle on costs but no websites seem to give detail on same. If I had to estimate, there's probably 200-230 car tyres and 100-120 truck tyes. We're based in North Cork and don't have means to transport the tyres ourselves for any of the bring days. I've seen options for collection, shredding on site etc. without any costs attached.

Just wondering how others have fared when looking into sorting this out. The oul lad has a bit of a "wait and see" attitude in hopes of a scheme being funded but from what I've read (https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/question/2021-03-31/227/#pq-answers-227), this wouldn't seem to cover old waste tyres.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭mallowgarry

There was a subsidised bring scheme a few years ago, and the entire nation is holding its breath waiting for the next one. The big switch from pit to bales, and from car to lorry tyres has left everyone with some sort of pile of mixed rubber lying about. There was talks of another scheme, but Covid has set the entire programme back, although circular economy etc. might accelerate things.

For a commercial premises, the charge is about €10 for a lorry tyre, and maybe €2 per car tyre. Some of the collectors will turn up with a grab lorry. It may be a per-weight basis for farmyard collections.

Ireland generates about 7 million waste tyres per year, AES Bord na Mona have started crumbing them, and Irish Cement just got permission to burn 1 million tyres per year in the Mungret Cement plant. But there is still an unmerciful glut of them lying around farmyards.

I thought they would last forever, but I saw a pile last week where the tyres have all started to come apart, chunks of rubber and shedding wire.

Whatever you do, use a Registered Collector from the list here - https://repakelt.ie/membership/collector-list/

I'll PM you the name of the collector I would use

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Maxxx17

Thank you for the information. It was very helpful for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Bog Man 1

I went to O Tolle skip Hire and he charged me around €215/tonne . There were quite a lot of tyres and there was not even a tonne in it .

https://www.otooleskiphire.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,064 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

That sounds very cheap, Crumb rubber collected mine years ago when recycling wasn't all the go , they charge €2 at the time, cost me about 2500

• Registered Users Posts: 10,699 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Any update on this? Tidied up a pile of old silage pit tyres today. Would love to get rid of them.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Good loser

Could you bury them?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,064 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I'm sure that's illegal dumping nowadays.

You could try these guys, it won't be cheap.

https://www.crossmoretyres.com/contact/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

Same here have an ever growing pile of bad quality tyres I'm separating out as I strip pits, was hoping there'd be a recycling facility for them at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,699 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

It's typical Ireland. You can't burn, bury or dump them yet none of the local municipal waste centres will take them.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Next time there's a digger on site. A BIG hole in the ground. Surrounded by channel, they'll never move & no one need ever know. Recycling old tyres, whatever that might mean, will be a far greater burden on the climate & environment. Imagine if all the pit tyres in Ireland had to " recycled "

We'd all feel like we'd " done the right thing" fluffy thoughts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Good loser

My silage is so scarce this year I may have to feed them to the cattle. Start with the fresh car tyres, I suppose, and work up to the lorry ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Don't the cement factories in EU burn tyres, where do they source shredded tyres from, couldn't we ship them off to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

I’d imagine there will be another scheme where we can drop them off. There was one years ago and a huge number were collected. There is unused money from the department of agriculture returned every year, pity it couldn’t be used for something like this but that would be thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Don't most "recycled" tyres end up in some massive dump in Africa somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Is there any campaign from the IFA to get another scheme up and running?

(3 years later the tyre pile remains at home 😑)

Advertisement