Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭clohamon

Probably need to agree the total number of premises, and whether "premises" means the same thing as "homes" for all concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Pique

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Xithus

That's brilliant news. My estate gets around 25-30mb so only a handful of houses are in the IA. (My house isn't one of them despite trying to be added for the past 2 years) That's me there in the picture. So you suspect the blue areas which are currently vDSL will be all updated?

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭EarWig

One thing to note. There is no change to Eir's capital expenditure budget. If there was they would have made a song and dance about it in the announcement. So will they shift resources from the urban rollout to start some of these 200k premises. I doubt it as there is a compelling business case for the urban rollout. VM in particular is vunerable. This is more about claiming these premises now to deter NBI eventually looking for them to be added. So, there will probably be at least a 4 year wait for those premises.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

In fairness its definitely been updated. The other big estate in my town who were previously in the IA, randomly got FTTH rolled out in their estate last year.

In the old OpenEir map and even still today on NBI's map they are showing as being in the IA, however in this "new/updated" openEir map, they are correctly identified has having FTTH.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭smiddyboy

This OpenEir announcment has left me a tad confused. I am on the edge of a small town and currently can only get ~15Mb FTTC. I am in the IA for the NBI rollout and currently have a date on the NBI website for a connection from July 2022 - Dec 2022.

Checking the new OpenEir map I'm in the blue area which according to them is due to be upgraded by OpenEir to FTTH.

Which one will have priority?🤔 I'm now concerned it'll be handed over to OpenEir and the connection could be delayed for goodness knows how long.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Strettie11

Anybody know how to see your implementation window for your address after you go to preorder ?

The dates disappear when it goes to pre order status it was jun - Aug at pre order but not looking likely now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

Eir are encroaching on NBI areas, but it seems like if you are penned in for NBI already and Eir comes along with their own IFN rollout then you will have two separate fibre networks available to you

My own example is my area is set for NBI go live next year, yesterday they blew in NBI fibre through ducting on my road, but I've had Eir IFN FTTH 1gbit installed 2 months ago as Eir decided to upgrade my area recently

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Orebro

This Eir thing probably needs its own thread?

Agreed, and can all the posts be removed from this thread and put into the new one please?

I see a new post, open the thread and realise it's nothing to do with NBI implementation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

• Registered Users Posts: 28,233 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Huh, just looked at the Intervention map to see were we making any progress - it had been suggested we would have fibre broadband during 2022 but I see this has now been moved on to 2023 Jan to December.

As a complete aside, the map is very up to date and great quality, I could identify it as being filmed in about April 2021, going on what was around the house and the amount of leaf on the trees.

This is mad stuff. Wouldnt the two and government be far better served coming to some form of agreement to speed up rollout rather than duplicating work. Whats the benefit in it for either NBI or Open Eir.

With this new Eir announcement its also looking like my area will be part of the FTTH plan. The OpenEir site now says "you can get speeds of up to 100Mb and you are also included in our plans for FTTH rollout"

Will be crazy seeing our estate possiby be worked on twice for FTTH meanwhile other areas are stuck waiting.

I wonder what timeframe OpenEir rollout is vs the NBI?

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

Was anyone here lucky enough to get hooked up today in Galway? I'm scheduled for Wednesday evening and herself has said i'm like a child waiting for Christmas 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 11,639 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Our house has changed on NBI.ie to “ready for service”. Long time coming.

Unfortunately we’re leaving the country this week for a few weeks so haven’t got an install date until September!

Was looking through the NBI FAQ there again, and unless I imagined things, Im pretty sure they called out that they were looking to accelerate the program to get it done within 5 years- "talks ongoing" type thing.

All mention of that seems to be missing now and it only states, we will complete within 7 years. Im pretty sure they also said they hoped to have a more detailed timeline on surveys by the end of August. Thats also missing now.

Did I read all this somewhere else or anyone else also spot that on the website?

EDIT: Found the mention of more info in August https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/db0e3-update-on-the-delivery-of-the-national-broadband-plan/#

Still cant find where I read about the ongoing discussion to accelerate the plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Spillanee

We are scheduled for install Wednesday morning in Maree, I presume we will have the same people installing it if so hopefully we don’t keep ye waiting too long😂

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭orangetictac

Same here! Fingers crossed Digiweb will be in contact soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

Fibre crew appeared on our road today just outside Tipp Town to start stringing it up. Current estimate for rollout is Nov-Dec 21, so hoping the pre-order will be available sooner rather than later.

• Advertisement

NBI pop-up info events in Carrigaline, Aug 20/21 10am - 4 pm

P. Hendrick “to engage directly with the people of Cork”

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/arid-40360340.html

Must be the same crowd so since i'm the other side of Oranmore. The installation time slot is 4 hours long, didn't realise it would take them so long to install fiber in the house. It's a great excuse to miss all of my Wednesday meetings at work 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 11,639 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Next door neighbours got installed today. What a beautiful sight from 1MBps this morning…

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭baz9375

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Nolars

Will they meet the 60k this year? Basically 4 months to connect 40k premises.

Connection all day by KN, took a while due to some issues with the installers equipment and also due to some Digiweb settings on the router but all working now! Some speed test results from before and after

Post-install speeds:

The difference is incredible and really tidy job by the installer. The ONT is far bigger than the Eir and SIRO ones but still manages to look much simpler where it's installed.

Are they 1gb or 500mb packages?

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭baz9375

looks like they're on the 500 Mbps package, I'm on the 500 Mbps with Digiweb and the upload speed is similar at just over 50 Mbps. My neighbour is on the 1gb package and his uploads are over 100 Mbps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭irishchris

Nbi running fibre through underground ducting today outside my house and few neighbors houses. We are in a small cul-de-sac of about ten houses and surrounded on all sides by eir fibre network. Thought we may have been forgotten about due to this but great to see progress. How long from fibre been run to bring able to order is it.i know it's not an exact answer but just wondering from people's experience rough time frame

• Advertisement

At the risk of dragging this thread off-topic (which I have complained about myself in the recent past), I know someone who just got SIRO ftth with Digiweb in Letterkenny and even after an engineer visit from SIRO and multiple bouts of troubleshooting with Digiweb tech support, they are still only getting max 650 on phone via wifi and even less with a laptop wired direct to the router (!!). That's on a 1gbps package. The speeds are all over the shop too, not consistent at all. Sometimes down to 200 and other times up to 500. Nowhere near the 1gbps.

Advertisement