Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why was there more protests over water charges than USC?

• 10-08-2021 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭

Irish Water's proposed charges were €1.85 per cubic metre (1,00 litres), or 0.185 cent per litre.

The average 4 person household would be assigned an allowance of 213,000 Litres per household, this is estimated to be 1.7 times the average consumption needed for the average household - a very generous allowance.

Water charges would only have kicked in at the aforementioned rate AFTER the allowance has been breached. Even if a person uses double the allowance, i.e., 213 cubic metres in excess, this still only amounts to €1.85x213=€394.05 per year (€32.84 per month or €7.58 per week), the price of a pint and a half or half a pack of fags - remember, this is only what you would pay is you took the piss and used double the already generous allowance!

A married couple in their 30's with children, making a modest pension contribution earning mid 30's salary would be gouged for €1,700 to €1,800 per year for USC.

Why was there not more protests about USC than water charges? These cost over 4 times what an excessive user of water would be charged.

Water charges and utilities are very common in other European jurisdictions.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

Because you can't drink yer USC

21/25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

USC doesn't effect a sizeable percentage of the anti water charges professional objectors

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭TP_CM

I think USC was presented differently as well. It was supposed to be a very temporary tax to get us through a dark year or two. Like it was that or the country would go bankrupt kind of thing. That's my memory of it. Whereas the water charge was the start of something which was permanent and would become more and more expensive over time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,281 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,531 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭deandean

Water charges were set up in order to present Irish Water as a profitable company.

That would then be sold off for a large amount to a private corporation.

Same as what happened in the UK.

It was an effort to 'sell the family jewels'.

I am no fan of the anti-water charges protesters etc, but the anti-water protest group is one crowd that I fully supported.

Because the government threatened to cut peoples water down to a trickle for non or late payment of bills and this heaped ontop of some fairly horrendous cuts mid recession,tipped people over the edge imo......a lesson in how not to judge public mood for any budding political scientist

How much did all that fcuking about with water meters and garda overtime cost in the end

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭jmreire

USC was introduced as a temporary tax in an emergency ( banking crash ) No discussion on it. Its in, and with the full force of the law backing it up, and thats that.

The water tax was was introduced as supposedly Govertment decree, IE your PPS Nr was needed. The truth was that it was not by Government degree, just dressed up to appear like that to give it credence.When this was rumbled, it caused a massive backlash,,,Irish Water was seen as something that would quickly morph into a private company controlling a natural resource for their financial benefit. And adding insult to injury, demanding PPS Nrs to boot!!! It had chicanery and illegality written all over it. And no matter how much explaining is or will be give regarding pricing, it will always be seen as the thin edge of the wedge. The USC being a case in point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭storker

Spot on. There was no danger of USC being privatised, so it's actually something the government has and will retain control over. Irish Water was being set up for privatisation with the serious threat of future price-gouging about which which powerless ministers would doubtless announce how "disappointed" they were. Just for the optics, of course.

My favourite water privatisation story was from Thames Water when I lived in the UK. People were complaining about little water nymph-type creatures swimming in their tap water. Thames Water reassured "customers" with the advice that the fact that the creatures were swimming was proof that the water was safe and that users would only need to be concerned if the creatures were dead...

(Probably true, of course, but still missing the point spectacularly.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Income tax was a temporary tax brought in to fund a war in 1799. When the EU banned import duties we just changed the tax to a registration tax.

All taxes are permanent, they just rename them.

The raid on pension funds tool even more money from people than USC or water charges, but again as it doesn't affect the vocal minority no one protested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Gary Scrod

You need to be working a legitimate job to pay USC. People on the scratcher don't pay it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Very simple - water pay was affecting everyone compared to USC which only affected workers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭rtron

Nothing about property tax? Nothing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭storker

I know several people who went on those marches. All were responsible hard-working, tax-paying people and very far from the usual bunch of crusty malcontents. The numbers of attendees alone was an indicator that something different was afoot - the usual suspects can't raise those kind of numbers. Interesting to see that the "Water Protesters = Freeloading Layabouts" narrative is still alive and well, though.

Why didn't those same people protest against USC? My guess is that (a) the ship had pretty much sailed on USC whereas Irish Water was a longer process and (b) at least the USC went to the state whereas it was clear that IW was being set up to line the pockets of the already financially well-heeled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

if water charges were free for people on the medical card like most things, you wouldn't have heard a peep about it

Don't forget the "already included in the car tax" line, conveniently forgetting car tax dropping like a stone post 2008. The Government should have just jacked up post 2008 car tax at least to claw some water tax revenue. Most will be taxing a post 08 car eventually

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,512 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Once people smelt weakness around the charges and IW itself they realised if it got a few good shoves it would all come toppling down.

Add into the mix the bad press; IW PR fails, water meter fcukery, potential privatisation, bullying and arrogance from Bulk Hogan to put peoples backs up and make them far angrier than they would normally be.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Jeremy Sproket

I'd be happy with IW being introduced if they entered a clause in the constitution which guaranteed state ownership of water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

I for one still think its a crying shame we don't have water charges.

I don't exactly love utility bills, but I believe clean piped water is something with high value that many don't appreciate or abuse. A very generous free allowance meant it wouldn't cost much, but would still raise funds for water infrastructure improvements which are direly needed.

I'd just like a legal guarantee that it remains in state ownership and that all monies raised from it would be ring fenced for water infrastructure works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Because like the bin tax it is an easy narrative, easy to politicise.

"Water should be free" is simple and easy to understand. It allows those people who are begging for some agency or control over their lives to feel relevant and meaningful, but absolves them from having to understand and address issues with nuance or complexity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

I remember when USC was introduced. The old 'tax us out of recession' line and was told it was just for a year, then it was 2, then the line was peddled out that it would 'very difficult to eliminate' and all these years later here we are.

The USC only affected the working and the water charges affected everyone, and protesting is more likely to be done by the non working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

The lazy dole scroungers that made up the bulk of the "water is free" brigade don't work and so don't need to concern themselves with taxes. That's for other people (*the same people that pick up their current water bill through general taxation. )

I'm still hoping for a localised drought in Jobstown and similar hotspots one of these summers.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭sparksfly

USC only affects those who work. Water charges affects those who work and those who don't.

That's the difference,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

I think the level of economic literacy among the Irish electorate and media is part of the story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

There was four major changes at the start of the fiscal crisis, USC, College fees, Property Tax and water charges. Three of these effect working people only, the forth effected everybody but those that get everything free would have to pay.

There was a strategic mistake made in its implementation. The other three were imposed straight away in 2011/12. Even property tax was implemented with an emergency tax first of 100 euro/ house.

The Labour government at the time wanted green credentials against the Green party and decided that water charges could not be implemented until metering was in place and they stopped a flat rate charge in 2011/12. Phil Hogan backed them because it suited him to leave the problem for the next incumbent.

By 2013/14 when water meter installation started the protestors had got organised. If it had been implemented as a flat rate charge we would have water charges now just like property tax

Post edited by Bass Reeves on

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

You have to actually earn money to pay USC so it didn't bother a lot of people.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Didn't the USC just replace multiple existing taxes so for most people made little difference?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭Lofidelity

The working people who pay USC have no representation in the Dail or media. Once you make the decision to take responsibility for your own life and get educated and work, from then on you are on your own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

I could be wrong but didn't the USC replace both the income levy and the health levy which combined was 6% whereas USC is 4.5% if earning less than 50k. The key difference is everyone pays USC at some rate so its broader and higher earners now pay more. (up to 8%)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭RulesOfNature

The government has literally never repealed back power once given. It will astound you how many laws are 'temporary' measures for emergencies and exceptional times, but wasn't repealed once those circumstances were over. Isn't it insane that income tax can go as high as 50%, essentially you're working for free above a certain rate. Meanwhile a few generations ago there would've been politicians hanging over a 5% income tax. The american war of independence was over a 2% tax on tea. And when income tax was introduced it was a 3% levy. Think about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

you are wtong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,538 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Yes and no.

USC replaced the Health Levy and Income Levy but was higher than both, originally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,536 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Because if you're on social welfare or other support you have to pay water charges but not USC so it impacted more people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,484 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Jesus I've been paying USC for years, where do I claim to get it all back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Back in the early eighties the original health levy was bought in as well I think there was an income levy of 2ish% it was called something else I think. PRSI was 4.5%. Roll on the mid noughties and Government abolished the all the levies except the health levy on top of the standard PRSI rate. At one stage in the eighties we had 52% tax rate and 8%PRSI and levy rate at the top rate of tax

When the fiscal emergency arrived the government bought in an income levy first and reconfigured it into the USC.

When the next financial crisis/recession comes the government will be in a bind as it has never managed to get the tax rates down. It will have to impose new charges and increase existing charges. The only other taxation possibility is the lower paid. A huge proportion of these are students earning sub 16k who pay no tax. Because low paid workers pay low rates if tax those on hight incomes have to carry the burden

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Water charges is not new either. It was part of Domestic Rates which were abolished in 1978. They continue in the North where some people may not know that water charges are built into their Domestic Rates (Property Tax). In the rest of the UK water charging is separate from Council Tax (Property Tax).

Bins were also part of Rates. Central taxation was supposed to make up the shortfall for local government funding. This sent Income Tax rates up to 60% on average earnings. The Water protests were nothing compared to the massive Tax Marches from the early 1980's. Bin charges had to be introduced to take a bit of the burden off. Water charges will come in at some stage in the future. Whether people are paying massive Property Tax as in the North, or separate Bin charges here, the money will be got one way or another.

Health and income levy was 4% and 2% (total 6%). Surely higher than USC for most people?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

You only pay USC if you work.

It's deducted at source, so no way of refusing to pay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭satguy

There was a smell of Dinny in the air. FG were about to give the boss a huge cash cow.

But he had to settle for just the contract to install the water meters..

Workers who pay USC didn’t have time for protesting. Too busy earning a living.

Advertisement