Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying BMW 4 Series help

Options
  • 12-08-2021 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Looking at getting a 420d ,420i or similiar, budget around 20-25k.

I don't do a lot of mileage, less than 10k a year probably..

Main concern is running costs, anyone got a realistic insight? Looking at a ~7 year old car.

Being considering it for a while but head is telling me to get something cheaper and reliable..

Havnt looked into importing too much as seems like a headache at the minute?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I had a 420d. It was a pretty cheap car to run, but then again it was under warranty for my ownership and also had a service pack, so other than diesel and a couple of tyres, running costs were low. Tax is cheap (200 I think) and insurance was average. Only issue I had with it in almost 3 years was a faulty EGR, but warranty covered it.

For 25k you'll get something much newer than 7 years old. A ~4 year old 420d should be within range at that budget. Look for one with the M-Sport (or even better, M-Sport+ spec). Avoid SE.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I've a 430d myself for almost 12 months now and would echo what Joe said. The car has cost me very little outside of regular maintenance (even the last service was covered under the original BMW service pack). Tyres will be on the expensive side if you stick with run flats especially if it has the larger 19" wheels. Brake discs can be expensive to replace too especially if the car has the upgrade Brembo brakes that come with the M Sport Plus pack. I'm averaging about 38mpg from the 430d but my mileage has dropped off since Covid. I'd expect to get similar from the 420i or low 40s from the 420d.

Downsides are if you go M Sport that has the stiffer sports suspension and 19" wheels then expect a harder ride over less than perfect roads. This is turn has caused a good few rattles and creaks from the interior trim in my car. As soon as I drive on good roads they disappear. Other things to watch out for are water ingress into the boot on the Gran Coupe as water/rain runs down the boot lid when you open it and it drips into the boot. I bought a rubber boot liner to this. If you can stretch to a facelift model from mid 2017 then you will get the newer idrive infotainment system as well as full front and rear LED light.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Dante

I have a 6-year old 420i M Sport. Running costs are OK, but then again I don't really do much driving (maybe <5000km a year). You could obviously get more affordable cars, but theres no fun in that!

I've had no issues or faults with my car so my expenses have just been the usual NCT, tax, servicing, cash washes, petrol etc. Petrol isn't the worst, it costs around 80 quid to fill the tank and average around 35mpg. I think the big expenses are when things go wrong, repairs and parts can be quite pricey as with most BMWs. Thankfully I haven't had to find out yet.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I have a 3 year old 4 series and can't say I've noticed anything from a running costs, moved from a 3 series and can't say I noticed any difference, tax is the same, tyres will be roughly the same car. Would say it's a great car though, real head turner for some reason as well, people notice it a lot more than a 3 or 5 series.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭dinneenp

If doing under 10k km a year & depending on the journey lengths a petrol might make sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 -Syn-

Thanks for all the details! I'm convinced.. 😂

I'm not seeing too many that new with M Sport spec below 25k but may need to widen my search.

That's it its affordable vs fun! Ive had a Laguna the last 8 years which has served me well but time for a change.

I've my eye on a few cars but considering these two at the minute. I like the look of the 141 and its cheaper/less miles. 5 owners be anything to be concerned about?

Debating whether to stretch a bit more for the 172 or similar. Higher miles but decent spec.

www.carzone.ie/used-cars/bmw/4-series/fpa/202107104881146

www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/172-bmw-420d-msport-autobig-specmust-see/28098248

I'd avoid that 2014 one anyway. Looks like someone crashed it through the front window of Halfords and stuff stuck to it. The quad exhausts on the rear are just cringeworthy when it's obviously not a M car.

😂 I like it but I'm second guessing it now.. Fair point about the exhausts!

Each to their own but this one seems less molested and a year younger:

https://www.carsireland.ie/2893518

Cheers I did come across that one as well, not sure about xdrive.

Reading that the handling etc not as good as the RWD, definitely a contender though

• Advertisement
Advertisement