Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why isn't Winning Streak coming back?

Options
  • 18-08-2021 4:22pm

With over 80% vaccination already, there is no reason why winning streak couldn't return in October. I think the pandemic was just an excuse for the national lottery owners to get rid of it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

No harm in getting rid of it

Since the Canadians took over the lottery, they were using every opportunity to take winning streak off air, for example on nights of Ard Fheis and the Eurovision song contest it would be off air whereas in the past it would be on earlier or broadcast on RTE 2 on those nights, they also got rid of the summer version as soon as they took over the lottery

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It was such a quaint, archaic entity; especially in an era when game-shows featuring ordinary people, winning a few quid, are few & far between. It had become a little too gimmicky in trying to spice up its fairly simple format mind you, but I'd be a little sad if it went off the air all the same.

80% might be vaccinated, but anytime I watched the show, the contestants were very definitely in the "at-risk" category - so with Delta going nuts, I don't think anyone wants to read the headline "Granny O'Donohue passes after catching CoVid on Winning Streak".

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jmlad2020

Coronavirus wiped out the only people who tune in and buy the tickets for the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

A harsh winter was always going to be enough to finish it off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭kheb

Hopefully, it never comes back. Too old fashioned.

Advertisement