Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Vuelta - Stage 5: Tarancón to Albacete (184.4km)

Options
  • 18-08-2021 9:47am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Another (pancake) flat stage today. On paper not a stage to get excited about bar the possibility of echelons. Assuming things go without incident the sprinters will take it. I think Demare will come good today. Finally found himself in a good position yesterday and if he does again today I think he will finish it off this time. Head Demare, heart Matthews because he is on my velogames team.

Paddy Power says:

Jakobsen 6/5

Demare 13/5

Philipsen 16/5

Top 3 of the Velo League - https://www.velogames.com/spain/2021/leaguescores.php?league=866227521

1. solasdearg - rebelsafc
    2. Squeaky the BB Mouse - Enfilade
    3. AG2Badger - MangleBadger
    Post edited by mewso on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,042 ✭✭✭✭neris

Finding this Vuelta really hard to get into and the Vueltas normally a race I enjoy.

Cant see Matthews winning he seems to be lacking that little edge at the end of stages. Sasha Modelo for old times sake today

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Yeah I think the best has been squeezed into the last week but even from next week on I would expect it to get a bit more interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭REBELSAFC

Can we end the Velo League now please?

It has been a very unVuelta like start to the Vuelta. Three sprints out of four stages and a 7km TT is a bit meahh.... I know they were looking for echelons today but very disappointing start so far.

Good man Sean Kelly another named butchered today, Patrick La Favour

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Glad to see it doesn't prevent him from being a top analyst, a great listen and kudos to him for not letting it stop him from doing what he's good at. And to Eurosport for giving him the platform.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Jesus, Carlton on a flat, boring Vuelta stage. This is tough.

I got a chuckle when he said "Maybe Sean knows whats going on" and Kelly replied "There's a tractor working in a field"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

We got spoiled for action early in the tour and then Pog destroyed the GC after a week. This had the makings of a great Vuelta, just going to take a while longer to really get going

BIG crash

Big crash 11.5km to go. Red jersey included

• Advertisement

Bardet still sat on the road there.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭REBELSAFC

Red Jersey 1.30 down 5km left. Looks like his time in red is over

Looked have been Mads Wurtz Schmidt who was first to fall in the middle and took out the rest.

If Ellissonde is not in that group Rog is back in red here.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Good win for Philipsen. Messy end all the same. I forgot PCS also included the profile for the final 5km. Just in case you were wondering:-

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Morris Garren

Carlton Kirby just apologised if 'we misled you today' - perhaps he was thinking about the finale, calling it a big surprise 'for some' about 20 yards from the finish, when the 2 top sprinters in the race, in 2 fairly obvious jerseys (Alpecin , Green) are fighting it out, neck and neck. Demare 'went earlier that he might like' despite still having 2 lead out men with him at the time... etc. Is he watching the same race as the viewers?

Bardet over 12 minutes down.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,206 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Advertisement