Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

R.I.P. Sean Lock

Options
  • 18-08-2021 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭

This has knocked me for six. What a legend in the comedy circuit. His work on 8 out of 10 Cats and its late night Countdown collab were side ripping. The Carrot In A Box segment is absolutely hilarious. May he rest in peace.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Very funny guy and seemed like a nice guy to boot... going by the tributes from his peers, colleagues and friends he must well have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Saw this earlier, very sad and only 58... far too young

• Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭Riddle101

He was by far the best panelist on 8 out of 10 Cats. Rest in Peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

RIP. Fantastic comedian and loved watching him on shows like QI and 8 Out Of 10 Cats.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

holly horse sh1t Batman - thats unreal. Shocked and saddened. RIP

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

A great sense of humour, very funny guy. RIP.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

That's a shock, has been a Channel 4 staple for years. Was it known he was ill?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

He was absent from 8 out of 10 Cats does Countdown for a while. When he came back he was noticeably hoarse. Think that was last year when he was absent for a good few episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

• Registered Users Posts: 26,924 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Knocked me for six also, had no idea he was unwell albeit I'd noticed his absence generally for the past year or so. Always found him funny and entertaining. VERY, Very sad news, RIP

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nj27

He was such a naturally funny man. He had that rare gift which makes his basic conversation hilarious. True comic, and tragically early death.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭.red.

R.I.P. Sean.

A truly funny man who always made me chuckle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Genuinely upset by this. Such a funny man.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

had tickets to go see him in the olympia a few years ago but the show was cancelled and never rescheduled, so when he reappeared on 8 out of 10 cats looking gaunt it was hopeful that he was on the mend. big, big loss though. the first 25 seconds of this clip are still the funniest i've heard in stand up for a long time.

Exactly the quote I was going to post. :D

Saw him live once, great show. His general arseholeishness to some guests on the panel shows was great. He's been in my town a couple of times over the years apparently on Christmas Holidays, was going to keep an eye out for him.

Don't worry Sean, we'll get used to life without you!

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭TP_CM

It wasn't talked about much openly but I do think a lot of his fans knew something was up because his voice had weakened significantly over the past few years and he lost a lot of weight. I think there was a thread on here or reddit about a year ago which raised it. I'm a big fan of the panel shows and definitely noticed it. But I don't think anyone knew it was this serious or advancing so fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭TP_CM

I can't imagine 8 out of 9 cats without him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Suckler

Thought he looked very shook in that clip when I saw it. Very funny man, naturally funny as many said.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭Wossack

Shocked to hear this today - can only mirror the sentiments here. Will be missed

• Registered Users Posts: 11,275 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Awh man, that hits hard, he was bloody hilarious and seemed like a lovely chap as well.

Big loss, RIP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,573 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

He really was excellent on 8 out of 10 cats and quite enjoyed his stand up

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

refering to Paloma Faith as.. “ a poundshop Bjork”... that’s funny as fûck 😂

Seemed to have aged in his last few outings on TV... but who’d have known... cancer is just a cûnt...so long Sean..thanks for the laughs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭YellowFeather

Just fking shocking. Sean Lock got me through some times when I was a bit under pressure. I would listen to his best of in the mornings, particularly in 8 out of 10 Cats does Countdown, and just laugh with his quick wit and total irreverence. Very, very sad news.

Amongst many, many things, Carrot in a Box, not to mention “Here comes Jimmy the feeder”, and his unique bedtime routine where he unscrews all of the lightbulbs. He was a comedy genius.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

First time I saw that clip I was around in a friend's gaff, where we passed around a cigarette, so to speak, as it were. Then watched that episode. Error in judgement. He had us going in a big way but then that part came up; I sank to my knees and took a position on the floor like I was praying towards Mecca, very nearly feckin expired from the laughing and the muscles on the back of my neck weren't right for a month. Funny man. Sad news. RIP

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, it's a bit of a shocking one alright. It's not like he was a megastar or you ever saw any huge fuss around him, but it seems like he was always just a comedy staple. You turn on a UK comedy show, there he is. 7 nights a week at this stage, flick around, you'll find something that he's in. Almost taken for granted, now that he's gone it feels like a massive loss.

And you could always tell by the way the other comedians reacted to him that they all had the utmost respect for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,742 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

his sitcom 15 Storeys High is very good if you can track it down (maybe the BBC will repeat it now) - co-starred Benedict Wong who's gone on to do a lot of big movies.

I loved Sean's sense of humour, he was brilliant on the early series of QI (hadn't been on it for a long time, probably because he was doing so many panel shows for C4) and his stand up was always excellent - RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,230 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Anyone could make Jimmy Carr do his annoying seal-laugh. Sean Lock was one of the only people who could almost consistently make him laugh so hard that no noise would come out. Just so quick off the draw with absolutely killer lines out of nowhere.

That’s sad news. He had a brilliant sense of humour and he’s left very fond memories for anyone who’s a fan of the panel shows.

It’s often comedians who get us through tough times, they can hold power to account with comedy and satire in a way nobody else can. It cuts though a lot of noise and nonsense.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 85,024 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Suckler

Advertisement