Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GDPR, Boards.ie and Vanilla, how does this work?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,810 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Cloudflare has been in use for a few years now.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

the silence is defening, and telling...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭py

I wouldn't expect any public admission of wrong doing or for anything related to this to be discuss in an open forum. I would imagine discussions are ongoing with DPC. I am unsure if any findings/results from those will be made public.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

So, I've been following the admin report "State of the Site" thread for a bit. There is absolutely no mention or acknowledgement of any GDPR issue other than the "deleted PM's". I'm curious why this is. Is it maybe that they don't consider these things as actual GDPR issues or do they not want to be seen to acknowledge them publicly?

Has anyone sent in a formal complaint [I just don't have the time at the moment]? Was there a non boiler plate response?

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058202425/state-of-the-site-and-ongoing-issues-updates

There appears to be a new Cookie Consent. It's very interesting. They still have the AGREE button highly visible and the DISAGREE [a bis step forward but with dark design tendencies] button with white background. You can now get back into this window by clicking the settings cog at the bottom right of the window. Another big step forward.

Clicking on MORE OPTIONS shows that all options are turned off by default. This is in keeping with GDPR so good for them.

Some of their "Special Purposes" sound interesting. "Match and combine offline data sources" with a legal description of "Vendors can: Combine data obtained offline with data collected online in support of one or more Purposes or Special Purposes." To me that sounds like a marketing / personalised ads thing. It's very opaque wording that actually doesn't mean anything but also means everything.

The Jewel in the Crown appears to be the "Legitimate Interests" link. It appears that you have to specifically come in here and object to everything. The main DISAGREE button doesn't appear to turn these things off. For example, personalised ads. How can they personalise an ad if I disagreed to cookies from the DISAGREE button.

Have a look at their "Legitimate Interest" vendors list. It's a who;s who of marketing and ads providers. You can read through the list yourself but the very first legitimate interest is 1plusX AG [https://www.1plusx.com/] and in their own words "Our platform is much more than a DMP. It's Marketing Intelligence at your fingertips to help you really understand your users.So you can make business decisions based on certainty. Not gut feeling."

How are hundreds of marketing vendors [ok, I didn't count them but it's a huge list] "Legitimate Interest"? Why are these not rejected when I press DISAGREE?

None of these legitimate interest vendors are listed in the Privacy Policy.

Accepting all, then clicking on the settings cog and rejecting them all, doesn't remove any cookies. The marketing cookies appear to remain.

• Advertisement

"How are hundreds of marketing vendors [ok, I didn't count them but it's a huge list] "Legitimate Interest"? Why are these not rejected when I press DISAGREE?"

Totally misleading stuff. Quite unacceptable and there's no good excuse that can be offered here. Fix it. Enough is enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭circular flexing

On a fresh install of Chrome with Allow all cookies enabled, no 3rd party cookies are created when I click Disagree on the dialog box.

For the long list of Legitamate Interests, it looks like they use a platform called Quantcast to manage consent (which is pretty common) and the list is just a generic one probably managed by Quantcast.

Totally agree it's a generic one but entirely misleading. They should put in the required couple of hours to weed out the ones they don't use. Again, another instance pointing at this just being a check boxing exercise rather than a legitimate concern.

On the no third party cookies being installed, granted, I'm getting very inconsistent results when I try Chrome, Firefox and Edge. It's very hard to pin down if it's working or not. However, I usually see the GA cookie installed even on disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭peek a boo

I’m lost in cookieland. In baby tech language can someone explain what the GA cookie entails? Should I be disagreeing with it or is it fairly harmless? Tia

Apologies for the acronym. GA is Google Analytics. Another widely used one [apparently not used by boards] is Facebook Pixel. Think about how ads follow you around the internet from site to site. In simple terms, this is personalised ads and tracking you wherever you go on the internet. The vast vast vast majority of websites use one or both of Google Analytics or Facebook Pixel. FB Pixel even links your online habits outside of FB to your FB profile to serve you even more personalised ads when you are logged in..

Google Analytics : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Analytics

Facebook Pixel : https://ie.oberlo.com/blog/facebook-pixel

There are more, but these two guys are the big boys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭peek a boo

Thanks RangeR for the cookie answer. Hmmm … I was wondering why there was so many Facebook ads for beds. Big Brother knew that I was researching getting a new one!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,999 ✭✭✭✭Esel

After reading RangeR's post above, I cleared cookies and logged in to Boards again. Tried a few times, including clearing cookies then closing and re-opening browser.

On every attempt, I was never given the Accept Cookies dialogue after logging in to Boards!

What's going on there?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

Turn your adblocker off.

Shouldn't have it on on sites you like anyway.

Does an adblocker prevent cookies from being deleted? 🤔

Not your ornery onager

Are you really saying that a browser ad blocker will prevent cookies being deleted for a particular site - in this case Boards?

Not your ornery onager

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,288 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Adblocker is the only thing that makes using the internet bearable. Without it I would never go online

I don’t mind ads if they’re done well as they help pay the bills. For the likes of boards where they load really slowly and cause the page to jump around I’ll block them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭shanec1928

So is an update actually going to be provided on this or is it a case of hope people forget.

• Advertisement

GDPR is gonna be added to swear filter i heard

3.2 If, during your use of the Site, you log in with your social media account we will collect your social media account details as well as the name and email address associated to that social media account (if available).

And then we send it to the yankies

• Registered Users Posts: 28,289 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The new Privacy Statement doesn't mention recording and tracking IP address data. Does that mean that admins and mods will no longer have access to this data for tracking rereg users or similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

The silence is deafening. The staff were very quick to answer almost every other question except GDPR. I'm starting to feel that the only resoilutionprocess is to send a formal written registered letter to their DPO, detailing the questions. Very bad form on Boards part. It's almost like they just want this issue to go away and sweep it under the carpet.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

If ever there was a time for the eyes emoji :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Sweep it under the carpet!.......

Is this what's in the new privacy statement? (I never read them, just click and agree :-O )

Is the carpet in the EU or Canada? And are all the old deleted PM's going there too along with everything else!

Please tell me... I NEED to know.... :-)

Sorry.....:-(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

The silence says all it needs to. This is what happens when you carelessly break, the law, and need to STFU while your legal team tries to see if there is anything they can do

I requested my account be closed etc on July 21st. No email informing me of a delay in processing this request. I’ll be updating the DPC in the morning.

• Advertisement

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement