Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Quiche.. meh..

Options
  • 17-08-2021 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭

Quiche.. never had one that hit the spot.. never felt satisfied after it. maybe its because I like a decent amount of protein in my meals.. and I like something to chew or with bite..

Those of you who are fans.. what quiche dishes would you suggest to win me over? ☺️

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,315 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

You can really add anything you want to a quiche or a baked frittata. If it’s bite you’re looking for, leave your veg al dente or use chunky pieces of cooked chicken/ham.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Senature

Sweet potato, spinach and feta quiche is yum. Slice the potatoes less than half a cm so they cook properly. Add a salad incl beetroot and balsamic vinegar.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭sporina

thanking, something with a marinated salmon or goats cheese.. strong flavours might get me over the bar

• Registered Users Posts: 28,796 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Feta is one of my favourite things in a quiche

I've never cracked how to keep it light/fluffy/creamy though - any of my attempts at cooking quiches could have doubled as (very tasty, admittedly) doorstops or paperweights!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The flavor of the ingredients needs to be strong...and there needs to be a fair amount of ingredients to create the flavor too and give it a bite..

Fallon and Byrne had a very nice fresh quiche in their deli although I haven’t been there in a while.. it had Serrano ham and a nice cheese as far as I remember

a pub close to me all be it not my local changed their chef, went from a big portion of tasty and well topped homemade soft quiche to a small flat, tasteless rubbery thing the size of a saucer.... cheese like melted plastic.

Quiche when you get a good one is super nice but a crap one is just ughhh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,093 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Not normally a huge fan of quiche but my wife bought one recently while we were holidaying in Gweedore... I would drive back for the quiche. Goats cheese, caramelised onions and a lovely salad... The salad is key imo.

I don't know if it was all the fresh air we had that day but I can still taste it.

@sporina

"win me over"

If you are not into quiche I do not think there is a quiche recipe alive that would "win you over". I think we need to curve ball you from left field on that one if you are dead set (hehee pun intended) against a good quiche.

Rather - I would want to lure you in with a recipe that is not quiche - is seriously tasty - but is also very very easy to make - and very egg heavy.

At least that way I could draw you in. And sell you on the basics of a good quiche.

So if I wanted to lead you in and hook you I would go for something like this as a starter recipe and lead you to quiche from there:

Blue cheese and leek is good. Agree with @PARlance you need a salad with it

lol i'm obviously not dead set against quiche if I am looking for dishes that would make me like them more... ??? confused... sorry I don't get the pun?

thanks.. love almost all veg but cauliflower, no thank you.. that would defo not sway me in the right direction

@PARlance - you might be on to a winner there - adore goats cheese and caramelised red onion/roast red peppers/roast beetroot.. ideas coming to mind now.. you got me thinking... and a nice salad with some chopped walnuts or pecans...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,093 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

A nice rocket, other greens and balsamic salad would also work!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Hard to go wrong with this one - Pastry, eggs, cheese, Bacon - https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/ultimate-quiche-lorraine

yes I lovvvve rocket - hmm hmm hmm..

@Patsy167 thanks but thats the v kind of std quiche thats widely available and does nada for me.. i'd need a breast of chicken with it lol

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Northpole

I love all kinds of quiche

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Forgive my blatant attempt to completely drag this thread from quiche into OT (but, maybe related?) territory, but I love the idea of savoury tarts, like tomato tart that's popular in the US, or that French version with anchovies and onions? No café or restaurant that I know of offers them, but wouldn't it be a lovely café or bar snack to have?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,315 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

I made these mini quiche's today, for Mr ellejay, trying to wean him off pastries for breakfast.

Just used egg with a dash of milk, no cream and rolled the pastry very thinly.

filled with diced mushroom, onion, tomato and topped with cheddar.

Taste really nice (probably not your typical quiche though )😁

Advertisement