Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to move... WTF is going on with prices?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Never take any notice whatsoever of property price projections :)

Thats a lesson hard learned my many people over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

In my view the time to move upmarket is when the market is low. The time to move downmarket is when the market is strong (like now). The market is cyclical and the best thing to do at any time is to prepare for the next shift in the market.

It is clearly not a time to move upmarket.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭Allinall

Prices could double in the next few years, making today's market low.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,426 ✭✭✭✭ted1

if you wait three years, houses prices may remain stagnant, you’ll be no better off but will have paid 3 time more in rent than you would in mortgage repayments

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Smiley11

We're actually looking at buying a smaller house to do us for the next year or two because at this stage we feel we have no other option. We can't get a house within our budget & walked away from the last bidding war at 140k over asking. Its insane.

Buying a smaller house will save us a considerable amount on rent & furniture storage. I can't believe this is the position we're in but our kids need stability after 18 months of bouncing between their grandparents homes & a pandemic.

• Advertisement

I am not talking about moving from a rental to buying. I am talking about moving upmarket as in selling one property and buying a more expensive property.

It would still be a strong market. the market is cyclical and eventually will weaken. The time to trade up is when it is weak. What might or might not happen in 3 years is irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

There is a certain feeling that prices can only go up and up, which creates either euphoria or hopelessness depending on the perspective of the stakeholder in the market. It's quite similar in relation to the stock markets where there is a herd view that the only way is up; there may be some hiccups or stumbles but the only way is up.

I have a personal feeling that now we have a collective sense in Ireland across all housing market participants that prices are only going to continue going one way is in itself a sign of the irrationality which has taken hold in the market. The reasons prices are going up no longer seem to be based on solid reasons and haven't for some time; and the reasons for the situation to continue, with prices only continuing to increase, are again not really based on solid reasons (from what I can see), but more to do with a general feeling in the market.

People buying are seeing others buy in the last few years and kicking themselves they didn't buy as prices have only gone up significantly; sellers who held off selling have seen their paper value of their homes increase and are thinking they could make a bit more by waiting a bit longer. The reasons to buy or to not sell are self-perpetuating, i.e. that prices keep going up. I feel logic and data have uncoupled from the collective behavior in the housing market (i.e. the accumulated individual decisions viewed as a whole) and have been taken over by a herd irrationality, desperation and exuberance. We are at the stage of the cycle where a correction is typically not far off, where "no one can see it coming" and where it is a study of psychology to understand what is going on more than it is to do with typical property market discussion around policies, economics, finance etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭Marius34

There are solid fundamental reasons, what's happening with the market.

What wasn't solid reason, was to wait for property price crash in this recession, just because this happened in previous recession.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭section4

people are like lemmings, who jump off a cliff every 7 years

there will be a crash, of that there can be no doubt

i have wirnessed 2 already and this one is going to be the same

this is history, and people who dont learn from history

are doomed to make the same mistakers again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

surely if your in the position to 'upscale' your home the over valued price you get for the home your selling would be silmilar to the over valued price you are paying for the next house? The only real difference is if you are moving to more/less valued areas or if you are changing from rental to ownership?

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Jem123

We had plans drawn up for an extension including a master bedroom/en-suite, new sitting room and extended kitchen. Tendered earlier this year and prices in around 350k. Unbelievable. This is more than we paid for the house

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

You are not wrong.

My brother and hios girlfriend went to view a 3 bed house in Ashbourne last week.

It had offers over half a million euro on it already.

But the funny thing he said was that is actually a 2 bed house with a room downstairs converted to a bedroom too.

There is a definitely some sort of correction coming.

Remember the last correction.

You could rent a 2-bed apartment in Ballsbridge for €600PM and they only started going back up in price around 2015.

You couldnt sell a house because people were afraid to buy in case they fell further.

I think thats where we are headed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭dubrov

Central Banks weren't so willing to print money in the past.

There will either be a crash or the value of money will drop and 500k will seem like chump change in a few years

Rents have a super-high floor on them, that's probably the/a main cause, particularly outside Dublin.

Taking my town as an example, because of HAP a decent 3 bedroom place will cost €1300 at least, €1500 for somewhere a bit nicer. That €1500 could cover the mortgage of €350k+. Up til 2 years ago those same houses renting at those prices were selling for <€250k. And all those people who could possibly get a deposit together have gone ahead and done so. Prices have shot up but a mortgage will still cost a lot less than renting for the foreseeable future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭notAMember

The last correction was based on a credit bubble.

I remember going to the bank to get an 80% mortgage. I was offered a 110% mortgage @ 0.6% above ECB tracker. (Sure get yourself a car as well, credit is cheap). I took the tracker, but not the 110%. Many people accepted the 110% offer and over borrowed. This inflated house prices artificially, which then corrected when the cheap credit disappeared.

There is no cheap credit now.

What we have now, is a shortage. Labour. Materials. Housing stock. For many reasons. In Cork city alone, multiple huge apartment block developments, thousands of units planned for next year have been cancelled since the govt changed the rental caps again. They're not viable to build anymore, risk is too high.

So you have this cumulative effect.

For developers

• Govt is actively dis-encouraging new homes from being built by making them unviable on paper.
    • Labour costs are high. Inbound immigration is slowed, labour pool is small. Labourers were a group who were missed in the PUP, because many of them were cash workers. Many left the country last year.
    • Supply chain is disrupted. Brexit, Covid, Weather disruption / climate / storms, multiple large marine losses recently. Backlog on materials. Material costs have increased 20-40% in the last 2 years.

For buyers

• Credit is not easy to get, strict limits in place
    • Population is growing, backlog of buyers in the pool. More people competing for the same property
    • Lack of supply

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

I don't see the value of money dropping. Wages are fairly stagnant the past 15 years.

Houses are priced at the max a couple can afford. Very few houses north of 700k since even people selling probably don't have enough equity to reach that price.

Question is when will prices peak, and when they do, will they fall?

"There is no cheap credit now". I somewhat disagree with that statement and feel it is the same as saying "this time it's different", when it really isn't.

To use two examples as we are closely related in economic performance; In 2009, Irish national debt stood at around €65 billion and U.S national debt stood at $11.9 trillion. Today, Irish national debt stands at around €207 billion and U.S. national debt stands at $28.4 trillion. A mere 13 years later, these debt figures have increased significantly. These debt figures are played down by portraying them in a debt:GDP ratio but on the raw numbers, they are astounding. A lot of this cash sloshing around the financial system has found its way into property. But what has happened, where has the money gone and is this sustainable?

Simple explanations as to how this has happened and where has the money come from;

What has happened?

Wage growth from 2000 - 2021 in Ireland shows that average annual salaries went from €37,000 to €49,000 in this time period. That does not seem like it would do much to explain the inflation of property prices, given we accept that the Celtic Tiger years involved cheap credit to individuals to pump into the property market. So something else must have been involved post-2008 to pump into property given that individuals cannot borrow anywhere near as much as during the Celtic Tiger years...money printing!

Money printers at the central banks went into overdrive as a crash approached and happened around 2008. The plan was to print money to throw at the bad debts accumulating in the system, to avoid a crash. This has lead to staggering increases in the levels of cash sloshing around the financial system and being the direct result of money printing, not any solid "growth".

2007 - 2009;

• Federal Reserve effective rate 5.25% to 0.6% and its total assets were around $1 trillion in 2007.
    • European Central Bank interest rates went from 5.25% to 1.75% and its total assets were around $2 trillion.
    • Irish household debt - $327.5 billion.

2021;

• Federal Reserve effective rate 0.07% and its total assets are around $8.1 trillion.
    • European Central Bank interest rates from -0.60 to +0.25% and its total assets are around $9.5 trillion.
    • Irish household debt - $168 billion (2020).

Where has the money gone?

Assets! Rather than allowing a correction following the cheap debt fuelled boom in the 90s and 00s, the QE and low interest rates of the central banks re-inflated the bubble.

S&P 500 pricing;

• July 2007 - 1,552
    • December 2008 - 1,173
    • July 2021 - 4,395

Irish property price index;

• Q4 2008 - 152
    • Q2 2013 - 70.1
    • Q4 2020 - 128

Irish rents;

• Q3 2007 - €1400
    • Q2 2013 - €825
    • Q2 2021 - €1,477

Is it sustainable for hyper debt accumulation and low/negative interest rates?

That's the question but it appears that in order to keep property prices (and rents) inflated at current levels we need to see continued, persistent low/negative interest rates and massive money printing by the central banks. It doesn't look particularly sustainable to keep printing money but it also does not look like any of our politicians or central bankers particularly care as the money printing/low interest rate environment appears to be preventing a crash, which was its goal, though I'm not sure how real economy "growth" independent of this policy can sustain the asset prices we are seeing, in the same way the build up to 2008 also had an uncertain feeling that maybe this isn't actually sustainable after all.

One thing that could happen though people tend not to accept it is that central banks with their massive assets held on their balance sheet do not need to be repaid. In the same way that they created the money out of nothing, they can simply make some changes to their balance sheet and let the debt either perpetually sit there or just disappear. If they can create the 00s from nothing, they can also take them away.

Post edited by Amadan Dubh on

• Registered Users Posts: 19,951 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Two you say - every seven years you say - when was the first? We all know about the post 2007 one. Australia has never had a property crash. Property crashes are pretty rare events in many countries, with people often only seeing one in their lifetimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,445 ✭✭✭fliball123

All the ifs and buts, when it comes to property keep it to the most fundamental simple rule supply/demand.

Supply

Already we have had low building numbers for the last 2 years, meaning we are playing catch up.

Not enough building laborers to support the amount of building needed.

Our left leaning government do not allow banks to take "family home" repossessions in any great number. Meaning these properties cannot go on the market

Our government and REITS are actively competing in the same market as the rest of us meaning they have more money to buy pushing prices upwards. This is also supported by the government rental scheme where you can give a property to the government for 20/25 years and they pay you and look after your property. Meaning new builds are being snapped up before the general public know whats going on.

Demand

Year on year for the last 7/8 years we have had more people coming into the country than leaving - more demand

Year on year we have had more births than deaths since the start of recording deaths and births in this country - more demand

Changes made to the current 8 years it takes for a non documented refugee to legal status which will now only take 4 months - Expect a tidal wave of people coming here once covid is managed - more demand

We have about 4/5 years of pent up demand even before Covid, people stopped themselves from buying as the buzz word was Brexit, people thought property was going to tank after this. Then 2019 step forward Covid and people thought the same, there are a huge cohort who have been waiting and saving (all time high savings in Irish bank accounts 21Billion) ready to go - more demand.

I reckon if the financial rules where not in play the 80/20 and 3.5 times a salary we could of had an additional 20% on top of current prices .

There is nothing to suggest to me that prices will be dropping in the next 5 years. Thats just my theory of which I hope I have given some rationale to, I was one of the few who went against the grain back at the start of 2019 stating prices were not going to drop due to the supply and demand pressures.. But anyone buying and selling I would look at your macro circumstances. As in "how safe is my job", "can I live here if I lose my job", "can I afford if if interest rates go up by 3/4%", then schools, work and other factors pertinent to your own circumstances would either encourage or deter you from buying or selling. Anyone stating they know where prices are going are either deluded or have a vested interest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,598 ✭✭✭✭klose

Good point, I'd say a lot of people are looking to "cash in" only to be disappointed when they find their new purchases is going over budget too?

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Jmc25

Indeed. What's going on at the moment with prices suits few people - those with multiple properties, inherited properties, or those looking to trade down are the only people I see this current market benefitting.

Nice post, I just wanted to maybe highlight net immigration on the demand side and how it has been correlated to the growth in rents (due to the limited supply of new homes and the growth in rents, I feel this has inflated the entire market). It is not due to our birth rate, foreign students or refugee/asylum seekers (the change in birth rate has not manifested in impacts to the demand side yet, foreign students and asylum seekers do not have the money to pay Irish rents and are certainly not buying houses).

From 2015 is when rents really exploded and it is correlated (probably caused) by the net immigration trends since then;https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/er/pme/populationandmigrationestimatesapril2019/

Looking at the breakdown of where the immigrants are coming from and what their economic status is, one thing jumps out; non-EU net immigration makes up half of our net immigration figures and the vast majority are university educated and here for work reasons in the majority of cases.

My own view is that a lot of this net immigration is directly connected with the growth of the few hyper tech companies in Ireland and the jobs they have created, but that this growth is not necessarily sustainable due to, not just a potential recession or weaker growth environment but also due to the growing efforts to reduce their tax advantages for setting up in Ireland from the U.S. as well as at the E.U. level. This particularly applies to the Twitter, Google, Facebook, Microsoft etc, entities moreso than to the pharmaceutical entities, where the jobs done at the tech entities is suited to be done remotely (hence why these employers require non-English language speakers for most jobs as the jobs they are hiring for are "remote working" jobs (e.g. Sales - Nordic region or customer service - Spanish speaker) to service the respective foreign markets in which these companies operate as opposed to the Irish market).

Demand is there until it isn't but if we see a reversal in immigration trends, it will be due to the lack of growth at the hyper tech companies, which will in turn feed back into a reduction in the demand side for rentals and rents attainable which will also pull down the whole market. A corollary to this is also that to see continued growth in the rental market we would need to see continued growth in the jobs created at these companies, moreso than other factors.

Post edited by Amadan Dubh on

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

I'm not much of an economist myself, so really appreciate the variety of analyses above - all good food for thought.

Trying to buy our first family home for awhile now, and seeing the supply dwindle and dwindle as the prices have risen. We don't really have 5-6 years to wait on that front, and we thought we would at least wait until the pandemic situation had stabilised - thinking that some stability would help people make their decision to put their property on the market. However there is still no sign of a pick up in supply.

So rather than purchase last summer, we're trying to purchase now, and the increase in expectations that I'm seeing on the side of sellers is staggering. One house we tried to buy had their sale fall through in April, we offered the previously sale agreed price to them on the same day (as soon as the EA called us to tell us the previous buyers had pulled out) and the seller wouldn't accept the price - even though they had been sitting on that price sale agreed for the previous 4 months. They knew the market was getting hotter and hotter by the week and wanted to cash in.

In 2018 & 2019 we would have had no problem buying our home in the area we'd set out sights on with our budget. Houses that were going for a certain amount in late 2019 now going for another 60-100k+ in some cases. Total madness.

We found a proper fixer-upper recently that we fell in love with, entered into a bidding war where it ended up going 100k over the ask which was a real shock. Needed a huge amount of work, and would not have gone for that price in pre pandemic times (I spend a lot of time looking at the PPR).

It's like the wild west out there at the moment. And even to fix up a house that needs fixing up now costs an extra arm and a leg.

Moving further out wouldn't work for us as we have to be close to our workplaces, otherwise we would. It's bleak! My commiserations to others in the same boat. We are just going to keep looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,445 ✭✭✭fliball123

The change in birth vs death rates is a contributing factor as I say year on year since 1922 (i think the first year it was recorded the difference between the 2 has increased meaning that year on year there is a bigger cohort of people at an age that they should be living in their own place.

Also I would not try to break down supply into either renting or buying. Our emigration figures mean that these people are looking for rentals ergo that property is no longer on the market to be either bought or rented further tightening supply. I agree with the tech/pharma jobs (to a degree) a lot of people are moving to this country for this, having said that, if you go to mcDonalds, most restaurants or Aldi or most other supermarkets or look at industries which are low-medium paying jobs there are as many foreign accents as there are Irish ones. I think people are moving here as Ireland as a country has a lot to offer other than hi tech or pharma jobs as well as we are a lot more left leaning than we think.

We will see more people coming in once the emigration process is streamlined down from 8 years to 4 months so that trend for the next 5 - 10 years is only going up once Covid is gone.

First one in London late eighties

second in Ireland 2008

and this one that is brewing is showing all the same irrational exurbance

Canary Wharf in London was built by a company called Olympia and York,

who were the Reichman brothers, biggest commercial property owners in New York City

they got caught in the London crash , when asked how they got caught,

they answered quite simply, we never saw it coming , and that is always the way with crashes

if we could see them coming there would be no crashes

it will happen, it always does, rinse and repeat.

There is no logic in crashes , because economics is not numbers

economics is human behaviour , that’s what causes crashes not numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

Just on this, if you're planning to move to a larger house within your own area, yes the house you're looking to biu is at an inflated price, but conversely so is the price you'll get for your own existing house. If by 2024 things have dropped a bit, then so will what your current asset is worth no? All relative?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Current asset will have dropped also but relatively speaking the difference should be smaller.

e.g. Now: Current house 400k New house 500k difference 100k

Prices go up 10%, difference 110k

Prices go down 10%, difference 90k

So if upgrading you want to do it when prices are low to minimize the difference you have to make up, this does assume prices go up evenly which is reasonable enough assumption so long as similar area as they will broadly speaking go up and down similar amounts, moving Dublin to Leitrim more to consider.

Conversely if downgrading you want to do when prices are high.

Personally I can't see prices dropping significantly anytime soon, as much as people like to give out about the phrase, this time is different. In 2007 people were getting 110% mortgages at 5 times their salary, housing estates were popping up left right and centre, people just out of college were being encouraged to buy as soon as they can just to get on the property ladder, people were encouraged to buy second and third homes to rent here and abroad. This time the demand is far more more real, its couples in their 30's looking to start families that need not want homes, people aren't over extending to the same extent due to bank rules, supply has been below required for a number of years and doesn't look like ramping up anytime soon.

That said I am also smart enough to know I and nobody else knows for sure, I wouldn't be purchasing as investment but if it is going to be your home for 20+ years and you can afford it then it probably still makes sense to buy now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭mamax

Some crazy reports of this and also the opposite in many areas.

I'm currently selling a 3 bed house it's not remote but just outside a small village which is 10 mins from a decent town and major golf resort in the west, EA has had over 10 viewings to date but no offers, asking price is normal for the area and not inflated, I can't get my head around how this market is going now so thinking of pulling it off the market and renting again, lots of people want to rent and none want to buy.

Advertisement