Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bob Dylan Sex Abuse Allegation

• 17-08-2021 8:59pm

I'm a huge fan of Bob Dylan so I've very mixed emotions posting this- I suppose let's see how the legal process plays out. The allegation relates to an event that took place over 55 years ago- 1965. Like any sex abuse allegation, it's obviously a challenging case for all but more so in this case, given the passage of time.

A lawsuit, filed Friday, alleges the Nobel laureate plied a girl with drugs and alcohol and abused her over six weeks in 1965

The lawsuit alleges that the Times They Are A-Changin’ singer “befriended and established an emotional connection with the plaintiff”, identified in Manhattan supreme court papers, obtained by the Guardian, only as “JC” and groomed her over the course of six weeks in April and May 1965.

The suit, filed late Friday on behalf of JC, now a 68-year-old woman living in Greenwich, Connecticut, alleges that Dylan, then 23 or 24 years old, “exploited his status as a musician by grooming JC to gain her trust and to obtain control over her as part of his plan to sexually molest and abuse” her.

According to the complaint, Dylan established a “connection” with JC to “lower her inhibitions with the object of sexually abusing her, which he did, coupled with the provision of drugs, alcohol and threats of physical violence, leaving her emotionally scarred and psychologically damaged to this day”.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/aug/16/bob-dylan-accusations-sexual-abuse-lawsuit

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,921 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Yeah like you say, all we can do is wait and see how it works out.

The typical Boards response would be to think about whether we like the accuser/accused or like/dislike the Metoo movement and decide based on the answers to those questions whether the allegations are true or not. Ill just take the unpopular approach of admitting I wasn't there when the alleged event took place and I don't have a clue if its true or not. So all they can do is investigate and all we can do is wait and see how it works out.

It'll probably take years to know if its true or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,975 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I was always shocked there wasn't more cases like this taken against big music stars of the 60s, 70s, 80s.

"..plied a girl with drugs and alcohol and abused her.."

I'm guessing that could be said or aimed at so many more famous people.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,230 ✭✭✭✭elperello

This link says the dates don't match the claim. As said above this probably has a while to run.

A fair summary- I think that's probably why no-one actually posted this even though the news has been around since yesterday - from a personal perspective, and like I said, I don't feel too good about creating this thread as Dylan has been part of my life from a musical perspective for decades- but I'm not here to "defend" him either if such a story is true.

It's unlikely to have either a definitive or positive outcome. His personal life, including children and marriages, has always been shrouded in secrecy until relatively recent years.

Not sure where this thread will go but it's news, and Current Affairs was a suitable enough forum for it, given the global nature of his public profile - but as you say, what else can you do at this point?

Maybe folk here might just want to comment or something, I dunno. I just hope this accusation is a one-off and can be legally resolved at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

I'm also a big fan of Dylan so hope it's bullshit. 55 years is a long time. As a previous poster said, it's amazing we don't hear more of this given the stories you hear about the likes of Led Zeppelin etc.

• Advertisement

You can never know the complete truth with many of these cases, I suppose. I don't know.

But perhaps this could be akin to what transpired with Jimmy Saville; where the initial accusation leads to an avalanche of other women coming forward to admit that they too experienced the same crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,675 ✭✭✭buried

Sounds similar to the Cliff Richard allegation noise event.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

I posted similar in another thread many years ago - the "Actors" have had their "purge" of sex exploitation for many years now but the Rock n' Rollers have been relatively quiet overall in terms of legal cases- is it that in general, "groupies" are/were willing participants, in general, even though there was a huge level of exploitation involved, whether they acknowledge that or not?

Edit- I'm not referring to the current thread under discussion, but just rock n roll artists/groups in general, and groupies of legal age, in case there's any dispute around what I'm saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,800 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I’d wonder if it’s just an attempt to get cash.

If Dylan was of that character no way would it have gone not alleged until now... he’s always had it seems very positive relationships with females in the music industry too, respected feminists and people like Joan Baez, Emmylou Harris are great longtime pals of his... if he was a sleeze I doubt it’s going to get past people of that circle.

if it went to court now there would be zero DNA evidence, zero anything evidence really, maybe hoping Bob cuts her a cheque and that’s it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

It’s a complete unknown

• Advertisement

These cases are ridiculous. 50+ years ago, no evidence just some ones say.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭yaknowski

The lads out of Led Zeppelin, The Stones etc. must be fearing these stories coming out about underage groupies etc.

""Maddox was just 14 when their relationship started; Page was 28. 

What happened is that I was kidnapped, literally," Maddox said once in a documentary. "He told me was going to be with me, and I said no, he wasn't, and he said, 'Yes, I am.' Then we all ended up at the Rainbow [Bar and Grill], and Richard Cole says to me, 'Get in the bloody car and if you move, I'll have your head.' Next thing you know, I'm at the [Hyatt House] hotel, and I'm walking down the hall, and next thing you know, I'm pulled into this door ... And I turned around and, look, there was Jimmy sitting in the corner of the room with a hat and a cane saying, 'I told you I'm gonna have you.'

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

since “me too” I’ve Always expected to hear of more cases involving the likes of Dylan, the Beatles, the stones, led zep, various other rockers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

The question has to be asked, why wait so long to come out with the accusation?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

Exactly, why wait half a century before speaking up? I’m no fan of Dylan at all but surely people’s memories of an event are truly marred after 50years!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭deandean

Maybe it's because he just sold his back catalogue to Universal Music for a reported $300 million.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,800 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

How would it even be fair, not only to him, but to the processes of justice to ask a man, 80 years of age to recall some meeting/interaction with a girl from 50 years ago, that’s just mad... and very odd.

50 years, I’m nowhere 50 years of age but if someone asked me to tell them about meeting someone in a bar 15 years ago with the purpose of having to defend myself I’d be struggling...

Always felt there was something dodgy about him...can’t say why just always felt that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

Well I’m older and sometimes someone reminds me of something that happened in the 70s and at times I have zero recollection.

Also add in the serious amounts of drink and drugs involved... never mind the wide range of women he would have been with. To recall something from 50 years ago with any accuracy, under the best of circumstances would be nigh on impossible. Memory naturally shifts over time anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭beachhead

I might have been in the hotel around the same time.I must ask my mother.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Whatever about the length of time etc. it never fails to annoy me that the accused are not afforded the same anonymity as the potential victim.

It should be investigated thoroughly of course and hopefully the correct outcome reached.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭The Oort Cloud

Individual people have different thoughts and understanding in regard to others opinions, but the problem is this... there are some people out there that will do everything in their power to cut you off when they do not like your opinion even when it is truth.

https://youtu.be/v8EseBe4eIU

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭screamer

Can't stand his music, and never, ever will understand why people rave about it. These allegations, are just that, and he is entitled to his good name and a fair process. I certainly hope that he is not another one tried in the court of social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

Its about time proper laws were introduced to protect men and boys against this type crap. its pure character assassination. Bob Dylan...of all people. ffs. not a hope in hell there's any truth to it. its high time false allegations carry a custodial sentence for the accuser. its disgusting, there's nothing but a hatred of men and boys in society these days...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,921 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

They are afforded anonymity in Ireland. This case isn't happening in Ireland.

If true it’s quite disgusting. A 12 year old for god sake. IF true ...

Why do you say Bob Dylan “of all people. Not a hope in hell there’s any truth to it”

just curious as to why you say that???

for instance - always struck me as a strange character hiding something

• Registered Users Posts: 35,610 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

It's obviously true, no one makes this up , but no way to prove it, so it will go away, and that's the way it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Advertisement