Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Virgin media

• 16-08-2021 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭

Hi

in laws currently with Virgin media for yonks, like 15 years, ancient set top boxes (3 of them)

not sure what the setup was but monthly bill was 68 Euro for tv, sky sports and 3 set top boxes - Which seems good

recently they got a call from Virgin stating that their current set top box cannot support sky sports and it was cut off, money taken off bill etc

and indeed when I go to sky sports on Chanel 401, it’s says set top box does not support this, seems kinda strange /bullsh1t seeing as it worked fine prior to this

was looking to get them upgraded, and looks like 82 Euro for basic tv and 250 meg internet, +45 for sky sports +30 for 2 extra boxes which is 157 Euro a month and will go to 167 after a year

also seems I cannot just select TV only, keeps on adding 250 meg internet

does this price seem overly high based on what they have paid for the previous years

75 Euro straight away for sky sports and multi room…….or is it down to the day that the 68 Euro was just a savage deal

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Delta2113

It's Sky that won't let Virgin Media use these old boxes because the encryption is not up to current standards like the Horizon and new 360 boxes.

Your extra boxes go from 11 to 15 per month so that's an extra 8 euro.

You can get Sky Sports SD for €40 per month.

Maybe drop one box to save?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

the old boxes could run without a Virgin Broadband connection, the next gen boxes need this, hence the broadband addition.

Yes if they are now only offering 360 boxes then as you say you must take broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭obi604

thanks all. F3ck, So does this mean all three boxes (main one and the 2 extras) need to be reachable via WiFi?

might have some issues if so……as WiFi is patchy in some rooms. Was not mentioned to me when I spoke to sales.

Post edited by obi604 on

Yes you need WiFi and all Tv's need a HDMI port.

• Advertisement

Yeah. I was made aware of the hdmi scenario. But was not informed that all the extra set top boxes would need WiFi. It’s grand for main set top box but for other rooms could be an issue

there is existing cabling which the current set top boxes in the extra rooms connect to, the old school coax cabling or whatever it’s called. Will this be in use at all with the new boxes? Or they purely rely on WiFi

Yes for normal Linear Tv you still need a coax connection for each box. All your recordings would happen on the main 360 box which only has a hard drive and you would use the WiFi to stream the recordings to the other boxes and On Demand and Replay Tv uses the WiFi.

Right. So let’s say WiFi was a non runner in one of the rooms. The basic tv will still work I guess via coax cable (would pause work?)

But may not be able to stream or watch recordings.

there’s a time limit of about 2 mins when you pause ‘Live TV’ on any 360 box other than the main box and it automatically unpauses.

If you want to pause for longer you have to hit Record & it will then trigger a recording on the main box for you to stream back to the mini box later.

And yes you need WiFi as you say to watch back recordings.

Thanks.

so to sum up

in the 2 extra rooms, the standard watching of tv will work fine via the existing coax cable connection. And a WiFi connection is not necessarily needed

is the above correct?

note: this whole setup is for an older couple that have absolutely no interest in pause, recording etc all they want is the ability to simply watch tv

• Advertisement

You might have issues with boxes not updating software (maybe they use the cable network for this - not sure) , tv guide etc.

Hard to tell without you trying out unless someone here maybe is using a 360 mini box completely out off WiFi range and could report on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

No, sorry,

All boxes need wifi or an ethernet connection (homeplugs work great) as well as Coax. It wont work properly at all without it.

That said, you'll probably get a new modem and the newer ones have far better reach and quality than the old ones,

Fair enough. Thanks for comment.

Be nice if Virgin bloody mentioned this before proceeding.

One of the TV's has no wifi whatsover , its really far away, concrete walls etc Only has the coax cable

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Finochet

Seems to me that T360 is not an upgrade! On my horizon box I could switch from French to English subtitles when watching TV5monde.

T360 only permits English subtitles when watching tv5. The whole point of trying to learn French when you can't make out the French. Pourquoi???? Definitely retrograde step. So much for progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,793 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

What programme was it? I was able to access subtitles in both languages for Echo Logis on 360 box.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

"Petit meurtres " Agatha Christie ( title might be inaccurate) I just got the T360 a couple of hours ago and am struggling to find French option?)

Perhaps it's just because it's an older prog? When I spoke to the remote it said sorry not possible. Settings imply only one option but yes it could well be me that has the wrong end of the stick. Would be thrilled to be proven wrong.

Can you let me know how it's done? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 27,793 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

On your remote press the ... button

You will get an Info popup

Scroll down to subtitles and click ok

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Magic! A gentleperson and a scholar!

Very happy to admit I'm wrong! T360 is a "veritable"( if you'll excuse the French) delight!

Thank you for your instant help.

Advertisement