Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hybrid tyres

Options
  • 16-08-2021 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭

I bought a used Toyota from Toyota longmile, the tyres were "new" but after the car kept pulling to the left i checked the pressure on the front left and it was soft, pumped it up and a few days later its soft again, back to toyota and they said they fixed the tracking.

Days later I checked and the front left is holding pressure but still pulling left, now the rear left is soft!! You can guess what they did!

Toyota don't offer a guarantee with tyres and wipers, so I end up getting two tyre shops to check for a puncture, one place showed me the "new" tyre had a plug in it and replaced it with a patch, job done?..no its still leaking, so I got some frothy washing up liquid onto the tyre last night and found a near invisible pin hole in the side wall, so a new tyre is needed.

I then checked the condition of the others, one has a flap of rubber loose and what looks like a long scrap or pinch on the side wall, another has a small nick out of the sidewall and the other has a nail in it which is very recent and wasn't it it when bought.

The two front "new" tyres are from 2020 and the rear "new" tyres are 2017.

They are Michelin crossclimate tyres, which look different from summer tyres.

My question is after my rant, is there a specific type of tyre for hybrids.

It's due its nct soon so will get a full set after it fails.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

There is no specific tyre type for hybrids but they may often come with a tyre that has a good rating for rolling resistance. But this isnt really necessary on a hybrid.

The Michelin cross climate are an all season type which actually have a snow/ice rating. I have 4 of these on my car and they are a good fit for the irish climate. These are a premium tyre and will look quite different from a Summer Tyre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭Miscreant

I ran Michelin Primacy 4 tyres on my hybrid and found them fantastic. So much so that I have just replaced the tyres on my current plug in with the same type.

They can get a little pricy as you go up the wheel sizes though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

People tend to go with low rolling resistance tyres for hybrids and EVs, though it's the kind of thing that might make 1 MPG difference or so.

I recently got some Bridgestone Turanza T005s, they seem good so far and have better grip than the Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance I had before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Bazzy

Ive had continental michelin and pirelli on my hybrid lexus is300 but a corolla rebadged I found the michelin the best, I wouldnt get too giddy about the rolling resistance but I would check the Grip and Fuel Economy on the label

Advertisement