Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hades (PC and Switch)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

The poison is definitely the most frustrating element. The unpredictability as to how many doors you have to take on can really hurt if Tight Deadline is enabled.

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭skerry

I've never finished this. Got to the last area several times and the poison is a head melt. Never got to the final boss though. I find the 2 bosses in the previous area generally wreck my run, their total damage sponges and I never seem to have anything but a hard time with them as my builds must not be up to scratch

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Finished it with every weapon in the game now, think you need to finish it 10 times to get the true ending, Ill do that and then leave it there I think, Ill just watch a recap video of all the secrets and sh1t. What a game though, one of the best.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,096 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The poison is definitely an annoyance, but immensely satisfying to rank through once the gods align. It does add tension to the last stretch of the game, but definitely doesn’t feel quite as polished as some other parts. That said, I find the exploding chariots perhaps more infuriating!

I must admit the poison gimmick attack in the last stretch of Dead Cells felt much more punishing and cruel, at least when I played the game. It felt unfair in a way I don’t think Hades does.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That castle section of Dead Cells can go burn in hell; love the game (though haven't played any of the expansions) but the uptick in bull****tery in the final (?) stretch always frustrated and why I often tried to simply cheese my way through runs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

pixelburp wrote: »
    That castle section of Dead Cells can go burn in hell; love the game (though haven't played any of the expansions) but the uptick in bull****tery in the final (?) stretch always frustrated and why I often tried to simply cheese my way through runs.

I only beat dead cells once, I found that the runs simply got too long to be enjoyable, and the worst sections were late in the game. Plus, the absence of the narrative hooks of Hades often made it feel like a botched run was simply a waste of time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I only beat dead cells once, I found that the runs simply got too long to be enjoyable, and the worst sections were late in the game. Plus, the absence of the narrative hooks of Hades often made it feel like a botched run was simply a waste of time.

Oh, I think I said it here but Hades legitimately "ruined" these kind of roguelikes because it spectacularly put to bed the idea the genre can't weave narratives within the structure. Since then everything else has felt shallower and lacking depth. Dead Cells' moment to moment gameplay might be a little punchier than Hades IMO, but as you said the absence of that deep narrative leaves the overall game feeling hollow and a little pointless when it invariably goes tits up.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Played a couple of hours of Transistor earlier, its the #1 most recommended game when you look for alternatives to Hades.

Nah, feck that, slow, repetitive enemies, boring unintuitive combat, hated it the minute I started and it didnt improve.

I suppose Ill just keep playing Hades, see if I can figure out how to get companions and finish missions without looking at guides, throw on a few pacts of punishment and star using Erebus gates etc. Wish I hadnt finished it though, I havent been this depressed about finishing a game since Breath of the Wild.

I know its unlikely with Supergiant but I would give anything for a sequel.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭friend and foe

brady12 wrote: »
    Why is it so hard get this in physical form for switch ? Cex don't even stock it , weird ?

not sure where you're based, but GameStop in Tesco Clarehall have it in stock if that helpsðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭brady12

not sure where you're based, but GameStop in Tesco Clarehall have it in stock if that helpsðŸ‘

Thanks . Managed to pick up a copy randomly yesterday in GameStop castlebar !

• Advertisement

brady12 wrote: »
    Thanks . Managed to pick up a copy randomly yesterday in GameStop castlebar !

nice one, enjoy! :)

Hades is up for preorder on ps store, €24.99 releasing 13/8

https://store.playstation.com/en-ie/product/EP4484-PPSA03711_00-3235764131417729

This is also coming free on Xbox game pass, so well worth a shout for anyone on the fence

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭DarC_Kn1ght

Just about to play this for the first time on PS5. Any 'must know' tips? Or just dive in blind?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,096 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Dive in blind, it’s all very self-explanatory :)

Experiment with weapons and builds. There’s an endless amount of possible combinations so figure out the particular approach that really suits you. And embrace what the RNG gods have to offer you!

Just go for it. It's very newbie friendly and leads you by the hand before leaving you to it; what each door icon means left me a little confused at the start but quickly figured it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,237 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yeah it doesn't take long to figure out most of what's going on.

Have done about 15 or so runs by now. Can make it past Maghera and a few rooms in the second area. Still just trying to find which weapons/abilities I prefer, leaning towards spear as the weapon anyway. Really enjoying the game so far though. The combat is fun and the presentation is top-notch.

Had Hades down to last hit there. Fired an arrow and he hit me before it hit him. I could have cried. Had a decent cast build going with Bow and aspect of Hera. Think Hades and me need some time apart

• Registered Users Posts: 13,819 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I'm thoroughly enjoying this on PS5. I've about 30 runs done, and have only managed to get to the boss is Elysium twice. Nearly got it both times, but having no health regen/potions is tough! Loved his little quip on that fact too. But what I can't get over is that every single character I've spoken to (before every single run) has yet to repeat a single thing. And references to the past run. There's a lot of time and effort put into this game, and I reckon it definitely sets a new standard for roguelikes, especially from a narrative/story point of view.

There really should be a warning or something about the Titan blood. I had used one before I had realised how rare they can be, and indeed after Googling how to get them, one needs to be careful with where you put them! Aside from that, I don't have a single complaint. Some weapons are better than others, but I reckon that's also a matter of just getting used to each one. I've been swapping as the dark bonus changes from weapon to weapon, but I'm definitely leaning towards the spear or gun.

It's the first game in a long while I found myself invested emotionally in its cast. A really eclectic, engaging set of characters and that even Zagreus is the same deserves singular praise. There were a dozen ways he could have come across the edgelord douche, but instead is a genuine, decent guy you want to succeed.

• Advertisement

On the magic mirror where you level up various abilities, theres a toggle to give you further options - theres one called 'dark drinker' where picking up the purple crystals gives health, and these are much more frequent than finding food from urns etc.

Finally managed to escape Hades. Used bow with aspect of Hera. Down to a sliver of health in the final fight but got the last shot in this time. Got lucky with a good duo boon in the last area that helped. Great ending for a rogue like, was not expecting that much from it but its really well done.

Last night I unlocked further upgrades at the mirror and ended up respeccing for the permanent health increase, which has definitely opened up new opportunities for my build. Will have to reassess everything else now.

Have only made it as far as the second boss. Thought I was doing well until I realised I'd only taken just over half his health. That's a tough fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,819 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Finding that buff that gives you a deflect when dashing is a god send for the second boss! Especially in part 3. I was looking at that Dark Drinker, I think I may have to give that a go. I'm too headfirst to be able to manage health properly!

Athena dash is great, saved me in my first clear. Hermes has some boons that give extra dashes. Just finished a run there and got a Hermes boon that also restores 50% of damage taken when you dash which made me really tanky. There's also a Duo Boon called Stubborn Roots that restores health every second when you have no death defiance's left and is a huge boost to the point of being a bit broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭nullObjects

Just got this myself, seem to be having a lot more success with the bow because I find it easier to dodge damage.

Will go back to the sword when I level up my health

Someone recommended to use God mode til I level up, does that limit rewards or anything?

See how you get on without God Mode. You'll get better boons and things get easier through mirror upgrades as you go. I think it gives you a 20% reduction to damage taken and scales up a couple of percent on each unsuccessful run. Dont believe there are any other penalties. Depends on how long you've played/ how far you got. I was tempted after the 3rd defeat to final boss but I got him without it on the next encounter. Its good to have though as an option and they've implemented it well.

I think if you use it until you feel your getting stronger you might negate that feeling of progress once you turn it off as enemies will hit 20% or more harder once you turn it off

Wait.... what the f*ck is God Mode?!

Have gotten to the end of the third area. Got the boss down to about 20% health first try but couldn't withstand the attacks. Real shame too because I had an awesome setup. I nearly wish you could change weapons between areas, but probably make things too easy.

Athena's dash/deflect seems an absolute must. Spear with Athena's dash, Ares'/Dionysus' cast and Zeus' special is how I've been trying to go so far.

IIRC in the game options, there's God Mode which is as it sounds, making you much stronger... useful if you just want to enjoy the story.

• Advertisement

Ah, didn't cop it at all. Kinda seems like it'd hurt the story more, as talking to everyone each time you die really opens up their characters more.

Although you probably still die a fair bit on God Mode anyway, so maybe it's not too bad. I'll leave it alone at this stage anyway.

Advertisement