Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Concentration waning midround

• 13-08-2021 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭

Anyone also get this? (A lack of sleep the night before may be the cause of this for me)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭willabur

Yeah, I think it is normal enough. I find its easier to focus when there is more on the line but if I am not playing well or its a round that doesn't have a whole lot riding on it then it doesn't take much for my mind to wander. Putting is where it hurts me the most. I have a quick enough process to take a read and feel for a putt but if I skip it or do something different then the results are fairly random

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Are you getting on enough water and food on your way round Roadrunner?

Think this is a big factor for a lot of people?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Caddy cart

Really, is food necessary in a game of golf. It’s a 3/4 hour slow walk with about 35/40 full swings. So many golfers are very unfit. Sone of them even have 2 sit in buggy’s and I am not talking about the over 70’s.

In a word yes. The pros eat regularly during a round of golf.

I went for a full day course in Carton and he did a full section om nutrition, etc in the course. Im not talking about mars bars and breakfast rolls.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,336 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Caddy cart

I play golf twice a week all right and am amazed how unfit a large percentage are. And as regards eating, 4 hours without eating anything would do them no harm. Don’t compare yourself to a pro, it’s like a five a side footballer comparing himself to a premier league player. Just look at the state of people walking off the 18th. It’s a joke really.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭bamayang

I would pretty reasonably fit, GAA training/matches 3-4 times a week for prob 70-90 minutes a session.

If I don’t have a banana x2, a bar and a few jellies or something during an 18 hole round I’ll completely fade away towards end of the round. Would also drink 1 litre water.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Running Balance

I find (I think I picked it up from boards 6 or 7 years ago!!) to split the round on my score card in to three 6 hole games helps me focus.

The aim to break 10 points on each holes. It gives a bit of a reboot starting the 7th and 13th holes.

Think you're slightly off on the origin, but i know I've mentioned it on Boards a few years back alright. The system was from Karl Morris, and he called it "Super 6". He suggests 6 sets of 3 holes rather than 3 sets of 6.

So you get a reset every 3 holes. It reduces the impact of a bad hole, as you dont write off the full 9, just a smaller block of 3 holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Its not really a matter of how fit you are when it comes to nutrition, you still need to fuel the body and if someone is unfit then they probably need fuel more than a fit person does. And comparing ourselves to a pro, we probably use up more energy than they do, hit more shots not as fit etc. but you're right we shouldn't compare ourselves to them.

I always have at least a banana or a Nature Valley bar in my bag and 500-1000ml of water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

I think I am. Need to get better at going to bed at a decent hour the night before is probably a big one for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭blue note

Being able to keep your concentration is part of being a good golfer. Those brain farts in the middle of a round where you leave a 12 footer 4 feet short, or layup with a huge fairway to land it on and end up in the rough are one of the things that separate good and bad golfers. It's hard not to have these terrible shots out of seemingly nowhere. But in reality, those shots are always in you, trying to sneak out. It takes great mental skill to stop them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Motivator

Absolutely food is necessary. The game of golf is a totally mental game. Every time I come off the course after 18 holes I’m totally wiped and it’s purely down to mental fatigue. Think about it, you’re on the go for 4 hours and you’re constantly breaking your focus between shots and then having to regain it and then lose it again. Your mind is the biggest drain on your body especially for the game of golf and it needs fuel.

I’ve followed pros from start to finish in loads of different tournaments and they have their breakfast or lunch, a snack on the range, a couple of times in the round they’ll have a banana, an energy bar or a sandwich and they’re loading fluids into them every couple of holes. That fuel isn’t for their stomach it’s for their minds.

Advertisement