Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adjusting turn over ram on Kverneland 3 furrow reversible plough

Options
  • 14-08-2021 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi

I have A Kv 160 head stock with ram on front attached to wheel with a protruding boss. I am having difficulty getting the plough to stand vertical when tractor is in the furrow. There is a big nut on the ram but the piston needs to be tight to this for the plough to be vertical. The other end of the ram is fitted on an offset shaft that can be rotated 360. I tried the big nut but no budge. Any help will be much appreciated.

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

Is it off vertical (not ploughing level) on both standard and reverse or just one side?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Ellisgarden

Thanks for quick reply. It is off vertical both ways. I can correct it while moving with the spool but it reverts and I don’t like doing that

On standard,is it ploughing shallow or deep on the front furrow?

And on reverse is it ploughing shallow or deep on the front furrow?

Ploughing deep

Ploughing deep both standard and reverse

• Advertisement

Weird that it is gone out of kilter on both sides. Start with leveling it on the standard side first. Shorten your right arm on the tractor slightly. Use the endstop adjuster which I think is a 27 bolt with locknut to level the plough.

Then start on the reversible side. I think I remember a stroke adjustment on the ram as well but it's a long time ago since I seen one so I could be wrong.

1 adjustment at a time though is the key. I think KV has a " how to " booklet for setting up a plough. I'll have a look for it.

Quick search but this isn't the 160 headstock I remember but it gives a rough idea of where the adjustment is.

Yes. I have studied that brochure. That headstock has two stops for either side. The 160 has not got these and some where else I saw that the adjustment is with the big nut on the ram. I can’t see any where else it can be done

I'll be back in Ireland at the weekend and will have a look at a 160 that I know where it is. It's the same one I used to plough with years ago. But as far as I remember it had two endstops,one for standard and one for reverse. And both of them was a 27 bolt with a locknut. And I could also be dreaming.

Thanks. Here is a photo of a similar plough

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Have you a hydraulic cross shaft?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Yes. Not permanently plugged int spool valve

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭minerleague

Know nothing about ploughs but would tractor hydraulics be leaking?

That thought struck me but I imagine there should be stops for the ram and that big nut is threaded on the hydraulic ram shaft.

I will start with the valve chest, change the spool to the plough and see will it make any difference. Will keep you posted

Thank you all

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Seals in the ram could be leaking too.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Maybe I showdowns start with the seals on ram first. It would be a simpler task. Can’t afford downtime with the tractor at the moment.

Got sorted. Took off the turn over ram to discover that the big nut was welded to the eye underneath. It is for adjusting the stroke on a Kv with 160 headstock. I was an inexperienced buyer and bought off an unscrupulous seller. Brought the ram to Mike Roache in Wexford who has me working again. We all have to learn and I would know a lot more about ploughs now.

Thanks to all for suggestions

Perfect. Glad you got sorted. I completely forgot to get pictures for you of this one and I was standing in the man's yard on Monday morning.

Advertisement