Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Climate Change is Normal and Welcome in My Opinion

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

This question is called "The Precautionary Principle" and has been more than adequately addressed in the video I posted in the op that you naturally didn't bother watching (see 1:07:00).

It details how climate change policies only serve to harm the most vulnerable people in the world, not help. So with the benefit of hindsight now - we would have been much better off not doing anything in the last 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

Other animals don’t burn fossil fuels, unless youve seen a badger driving around in a hiace and not reported it. Frankly this latest post by you shows your limited understanding of the universe and basic science.

That's funny coming from someone who thinks we're irreparably damaging the earth to the point of causing some kind of apocalyptic scenario in the near future

I don't see anything funny in what's coming in the future. Will the world end? No the world will be around for another 4 billion years when finally the Sun expands and consumes Earth, this will be around the same time the Andromeda Galaxy merges with Milkyway so who knows what will happen. In the meantime however the question is will human activities have disrupted the equilibrium that allows life as we know it to exist, unless we change yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭tim3000

Why shouldn't we? Because we are changing the climate it's as simple as that.

There is plenty humanity has done to the irreversibly alter the earth. Mass extinction, deforestation, habitat destruction etc I need not list these things again. If we have driven a species to extinction by our actions then we have altered the system. Follow this to it's logical conclusion and you will find that we are more than capable of irreversibly changing the game.

Again you misunderstand the impact humanity are making. We are not a drop in the ocean especially since we are also diminishing natural sequestration through our clearance of forests etc.

You can't hand wave away these effects by saying animals and the oceans emit CO2. The main difference between these entirely natural effects and humanities efforts is that humans are doing it faster than nature can cope.

I'm an not acting as if humans are an alien lifeform. We alone on the planet have the ability to shape our environment to suit us. We can alter the environment to a staggering degree and we have. We alone have the ability to pump billions of tonnes of co2 into the atmosphere far above the ability of the earth to sequester it. What we are seeing now is the effect of this imbalance.

As a point of interest what would it take for you to reverse your view? What action or effect would need to occur for you to consider that climate change is real?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Please keep it civil. Me not bothering is me with a busy schedule with limited time. I'll try and watch the whole video when I get a chance.

I had a look at that section on the precautionary principle. It's point is valid but doesn't mention anything about needless consumption in the western world on non essentials. New fitted kitchens, replacing instead of repair behaviours like binning old clothes that could be repaired, heating the whole house when spending the evening watching TV in 1 room, needless car journeys when walking an option etc. It appears the richer we are, the more we consume but that section of the video dooesn't address this.

I think there are certain behaviours that we could adopt that wouldn't kill us that could help the envoironment. Does this needless consumption make us any happier? Some psychologists say no, due in part to the novelty factor wearing off most purchases and the fact that its making us work longer hours with more stress.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

Who knows what archaeological remains lie scattered under the Irish and North Seas, for example.The human race has already witnessed and survived MASSIVE climate change over thousands of years, without the technology to help us adapt.

It is not normal for the Earth's climate to remain constant for any prolonged length of time. It will change one way or the other, and back again, as it moves in and out of various long-term cycles.

As a species we need to be pragmatic and adaptable to whatever surprises the Climate will bring, manmade or natural alike. Global warming will instantly be forgotten about if we had a cataclysmic volcanic eruption that cooled the planet, for example.

In order for me to change my view we would need to see sustained abnormalities in both weather and chemistry of the atmosphere i.e. outside the normal ranges of the past 5000 years at least. We're simply not seeing this.

This bizarre trend of highlighting every weather event as being "because of human induced climate change" is as tiresome as it is pathetic. Everyone knows that statistics is a tool used to conclude whatever you want. You can come out with statements like "15 of the hottest years of the last century happened in the last 20 years". So what if this is true? We're approaching the peak of a warming cycle, I'd be far more worried if this wasn't the case.

People's houses are not getting flooded or falling off cliffs because if climate change, they're getting flooded because of bad planning for one and also because of the luxury of most people owning cars nowadays allowing them to build in more remote locations where nobody built before.

The planet is perfectly fine, there is no need to worry. Get out and enjoy the nice hot weather!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

FYI original poster thinks the entire space program is faked, not just the moon landings, but that the ISS isn't real, satellites, Mars probes, the whole lot. So this post is unsurprising.

• Advertisement

I love how all my previous statements and questions are ignored and statistical analysis is just washed away like it doesn't matter. Despite the fact that it an essential and rigourously scrutinized discipline.

So we have established the following facts from your posts:

Volcanoes belching co2 can alter the environment. Humans emitting the same gas on a similar scale can't.

Nature is a perfectly balanced system that cannot be altered by human activities. Except when we drive animals extinct alter the land and poison the seas.

Carbon dioxide is inert and harmless except that was the driver for the Permian-Triassic extinction event.

Here is a silly question for argument's sake:

Imagine humanity mined out all the coal/oil and natural gas there is on the planet at present and just burned it all in one evening. Would there be an effect then? You say this is a perfectly balanced system so either there would be no effect (unlikely in my opinion but what do I know) or would there be some disturbance? If so what would this be?

Is this true? You think the space program is faked. Why this specific program? I mean why not fake the Manhattan project ? I have yet to see a nuclear missile laying waste to a city therefore it must be faked. All I have to go on is the images of Bikina atoll and Hiroshima. I mean how real could these weapons be if people are living in Hiroshima and Nagasaki today.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,088 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

The same user thinks that Newton got his physics wrong. Yeah, that Newton. not a user to be taken seriously at all.

5000 years ago.. I’ve heard this tune before!

That's a downright lie. I said he got some of his physics wrong that has been proven such for the last 150 years. You clearly think everything he has published is 100% correct. Ha! the ignorance. It's no wonder people swallow the climate change agenda so easily.

Funny how the conspiracy theory weirdos come out of the cave to mount a smear of my character rather than debate fairly using facts and figures. A common tool of the desperate.

What makes you think humans are burning fossil fuels at a rate that's equivalent to volcanoes? That's an outrageous assumption. There have been many studies of ice samples cut from glaciers that show carbon levels twice as high as they are now prior to the industrial revolution.

Secondly, I never said that volcanoes alter the climate, you are simply twisting my words now to suit your argument. I brought up volcanoes and natural forest fires as an example of how burning fossil fuels has absolutely no impact on the climate.

You assume humans are like a virus that have depleted the earths resources, cut down the majority of the forests and are destroying the planet. This is simply not the case. The earth is so much bigger than you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,088 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

what facts and figures? you never posted anything. you just said he was wrong. you never even specified how.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭growleaves

Yes but the plan to combat climate change will also be horrific: monitoring/surveillance, banning or strongly limiting cars, banning meat consumption, possible rolling blackouts, possible 'climate lockdowns', turning the country into a tax farm, scapegoating of 'deniers' and general insane viscous political demagoguery.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

You can literally see the ISS and satellites if you look up during the night. How could someone possibly believe that they aren't real?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,677 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

How do you think we should drastically reduce Co2 output? I mean there isn't going to be any easy way without any sacrifice.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

• Advertisement

The problem is that the sacrifice is draconian and disproportionately affects people without any real idea of how it will benefit anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,677 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

well even if climate change isn't influenced by man, the rate we're consuming at has to stop eventually or the planet will be stripped bare. We need to stop being governed by short term politics that are heavily influenced by business.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭growleaves

Either the largest industrial polluters should be hit at the source or why even talk about the issue?

Subjecting individual people to total bureaucratic micro-control is transparently and laughably wrong. We see this 'Sovietisation' justified from multiple angles now - 'health', 'gender relations' etc.

Also wrong is people committing genetic suicide, pledging not to have children basically, because they are so demoralised. Darwin award winners in fact though they don't of themselves in those terms I'm sure.

But we are burning millions of tonnes of fossil fuels and emitting carbon at a rate comparable to a volcano.

Volcanoes and forest fires will absolutely effect climate. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_Without_a_Summer here is an example of a volcanic eruption directly effecting the climate of Europe in not 2 centuries ago. This is also an example of the fragility of the earth. You seemed to think that the earth is a vast limitless space for humans to expand upon and consume from. To think that we cannot have a marked difference upon the earth in spite of all the evidence to the contrary is startling.

What do you think will happen of we continue to release carbon into the atmosphere?

Edited for clarity

• Registered Users Posts: 19,648 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Large fires and volcanic eruptions have the net effect of cooling the Earth relative to any warming from CO2 involved. Pariculates in the atmosphere have a vastly stronger cooling effect than the comparatively small warming effect you get from CO2, which is the weekest of the greenhouse gases. Most global warming comes from water vapour, of which there is a lot more in the atmosphere; water vapour molecules have a 37% higher heat trapping effect than CO2 molecules, and in the lower atmosphere there are 24 times as many of them as CO2 molecules, so water vapour molecules have about 33 times the global warming effect as CO2 in the lower atmosphere.

The particulates from the 1991 eruption of Mount Pinatubo in the Phillipines, cooled the earth by 1.4°C.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

You hint at the reality.

We humans have a hugely inflated notion of our own importance in the Earth's day to day business,while having little respect for the Planet itself.

The Planet has been killing off large chunks of Humanity with regularity for millenia,and is unlikely to stop,even if we install Eamon Ryan as the All-Powerful One.

Interesting article from the Spectator here (may be bahind a Paywall) but here goes anyway.

Simon Cooper

Right as rain: don’t blame climate change for the British weather

From magazine issue: 21 August 2021

I spend a lot of my life worrying about the climate. When you have more than 100 miles of precious chalk streams under your care, rain becomes the currency of your life. Too much in summer. Too little in winter. Or sometimes the other way around. Other times a bit of both. For us river folk, as for farmers, the weather is never quite right.

Who do I blame when it is not quite right? Well, mostly us. People. Society. Urbanisation. Too many people sucking too much water from too few rivers. Water companies pumping untreated sewage into already critically depleted rivers. Politicians who allow the building of houses on floodplains. Agriculture that gets a free pass to plough, plant and spray pretty much whatever it likes in sensitive river catchments. Do I blame climate change? Not in my darkest moments, no.

Now, I’m no climate change denier — we are daily trashing our planet in a bold bid for human oblivion — but to use a global problem as an excuse for locally sourced destruction is delusional. We have the same water we have always had: the British rainfall total for 2021 will be much the same as it was for 1921, which was much the same as for 1821. At my home, which happens to be a water mill, the wheel still works as efficiently and effectively as when it was updated from wood to cast iron in 1865.

Of course, the counter-argument to this is that British weather is more unpredictable today. We have the right rain but increasingly at the wrong times. Or so it is said. But that is old news. Henry Rider Haggard, of King Solomon’s Mines fame, became a farmer in the later years of his Victorian life, bewailing in his agricultural chronicles wet summers and dry winters, all in sage agreement with his Norfolk neighbours that the climate was irreversibly changing.

I don’t know why it is, but for some reason there seems to be an expectation that British weather should behave as if directed by some super-algorithm that will provide all the weather, at all the times, exactly as we wish it to be. I have this strange paperback book I unearthed when clearing out the house of my late mother. It is not so old, 1993, but it charts the freak weather of Hampshire and the Isle of Wight dating back to 1600.

Here are a few highlights: it rained every day on the Isle of Wight in August 1648, ruining the harvest; in 1703 a tempest in the Solent claimed 8,000 lives; the naturalist Gilbert White recorded the coldest ever day in 1776; a tornado struck Portsmouth in 1810; in 1859 a severe and unexpected October frost caused the mangolds, turnips and swedes to rot; some 22 inches of snow fell in a single day in north Hampshire in 1908; in 1929, generally considered a freakish year, after 136 consecutive days without rain, the water board implemented a hosepipe ban for gardens and motor cars. Sound familiar?

Given that The Hampshire and Isle of Wight Weather Book by Mark Davison, Ian Currie and Bob Ogley runs to 167 pages, I could go on and on. But you are probably getting the idea. And, remember, this is just one relatively weather-benign southern county of England. Yet despite that, the home of the Royal Navy and birthplace of Charles Dickens has a history of notable weather events that would make national — and possibly international — headlines, if repeated today.

The truth is, it is not the climate, it is us. Our expectations are absurd. Snow at Christmas. Bank Holiday scorchers. The perfect wedding day. Over these we lay our massive immolation of the countryside. But guess what? If you build homes in a floodplain, they will at some point flood. If you suck dry the springs that feed a river, it will dry up in summer. If you pollute a river, it — and all that live in it — will die. There is barely any part of Britain that is escaping the predations of what we currently consider the acceptable face of local use and progress.

Yes, we need to save the planet — but first we need to save that tiny bit within which we all live.

Written bySimon Cooper

Simon Cooper is a professional fly fisher and river conservationist.

I wonder if Easons have that Isle of Wight Weather Book.....🙂

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

dont worry about something you can’t control is my philosophy. I do my bit but can’t control the rest of the population actions

• Registered Users Posts: 19,648 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The next thing the climate catastrophists will be bleating about is the imminent failing of the Gulf stream - oh look, they have already started: "New signs the Gulf Stream system is near collapse, with ‘Unimaginably Catastrophic’ results for weather in Europe and Eastern US" https://redgreenandblue.org/2021/08/14/new-signs-gulf-stream-system-near-collapse-unimaginably-catastrophic-results-weather-europe-eastern-us/

I have mentioned this before, but it bears repeating: this has happened before, in fact it's a regular event, but everything has to be explained in the context of man having caused every possible climate or weather event. There are no more 'natural' events, they are all caused by AGW - even the Gulf streams imminent collapse, even though it has been slowing for over a millennia. The next glaciation period is upon us, and the climatologists are of course going to blame this next one on human activity - even though it's overdue/right on time - depending on viewpoint, and even though one of the most significant triggers - the halting/altering of the Gulf stream has been happening since well before we were generating appreciable amounts of CO2.

Currently a very large iceberg has broken off the western side of the Ronne ice shelf in Antarctica and is the worlds largest at this time. It's 4320 Km² and is bigger than Majorca. Of course this is being put down to global warming, however, another thing thought to happen at the onset of glaciation periods is that icebergs from Antarctica travel further north than normal. If icebergs that were far bigger than normal started forming, they would be able to drift further north before melting. Of course a significant alteration in ocean currents in the southern ocean could also achieve the same result with smaller bergs. in 2006 a large category 5 iceberg got so far north it reached New Zealand and was visible from the eastern edge of South Island, the first time this has happened since 1931.

If Antarctic ice shelves start breaking up into large icebergs, that of course will be sold as due to mankind and global warming, even if they drift further north than normal and even though research indicates this probably happens normally just prior to glaciation phases starting.

Since I already think the next glaciation period is kicking off, I think the Antarctic ice shelves will soon start breaking up and very large icebergs will drift further north. The panicked shrieking from climate catastrophists and the IPCC will be ear-splitting and the attribution will as usual be AGW, despite it being a known glaciation precursor event.

Don't worry about sea levels rising, the ice shelves are already floating in water so the sea level doesn't rise when they melt, any more than the level of a drink in a glass rises as ice cubes melt.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

The OP is correct, the Medieval Warm Period (900-1250 approx) was warmer than today,

You aren't serious comparing modern horticulture with that of a thousand years ago.

• Advertisement
Advertisement