Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Distribution of official Met Eireann weather stations in Ireland

Options
  • 12-08-2021 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 33,728 ✭✭✭✭

This is about the weather stations here: https://www.met.ie/latest-reports/observations

Some areas of the country have a lot other areas not much.

Cork (south/south west) 4 : Cork airport, Moorepark, Roches Point, Sherkin Island

Mayo (north west) 4: Belmullet Claremorris, Knock airport and Newport.

Dublin (east) 3 : Casement, Dublin airport, Phoenix Park

Donegal (north west) 2 : Finner, Malin Head

Galway (west) 2 : Athenry, Mace Head

Carlow (south east) 1 : Oak Park

Cavan (midlands) 1 : Ballyhaise

Clare (west) 1 : Shannon

Kerry (south west) 1 : Valentia

Meath (east) 1 :Dunsany

Roscommon (midlands) 1 : Mt Dillon

Sligo (north west) 1 : Markree Castle

Tipperary (midlands) 1 : Gurteen

Westmeath (midlands) 1 : Mullingar

Wexford (south east) 1 : Johnstown Castle

The areas with the most weather stations are the north west/west (10), south/south west (5), then the east (4) and midland (4) and the south east (2).

I know most of our weather comes from the south west to west direction so more stations in that area of the country makes sense.

The south east is a bit lacking. Maybe some will disagree with my area description...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,991 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Interesting.

Do you know if ME have any ability to take weather data from privately owned stations?

Or could the accuracy of these not be verified?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,728 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Met Eireann does have a lot of smaller approved stations for reporting various weather data, which give official and verified data.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

Probably more on the west than the east due to more fishermen further off the west coast than off the east who rely on the forecasts and reports to stay safe.

More overlap with the UK met office in the east as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

In terms of concentration, we have 3 official stations in very close proximity to each other (4, if you include Dunsany) in the Dublin region than is seen in any other part of the country. The NW does not have that many stations really given the expanse of it, and the SE has even less.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

It looks like the SE does have a few, but they aren't used in national forecast. It's a strange one alright, these are Met Éireann's currently operational stations in Wexford, but only Johnstown shows up on the national map. https://www.met.ie/climate/available-data/historical-data

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

I think Donegal certainly deserves a couple more stations as Finner and Malin Head are at opposite ends and Malin Head really isn't that indicative of conditions further inside the county. There are the UKMO stations of Magilligan (Derry) and Castlederg (Tyrone, near the Donegal border) and there is Donegal Airport, but there really needs to be two in say Glenties and Letterkenny.

There's also a bit of a gap in the south midlands, between Moorepark and Gurteen/Oak Park/Mullingar.

I would like to see a couple more upper air stations. Two for the whole island is not enough. Germany had 12 stations launch balloons today! One at Belmullet and say one at Custume Barracks, Athlone, would be a start. One in Wexford too.

Met Éireann have automatic climate stations,which they maintain

Theres one in Arklow

They are on wow.met.ie and have ACS after their location

I don't know why they are not included on the met.ie list

The equipment is Met Éireann equipment

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

The one at Tycor Waterford only measures pemp and rainfall. Probably not the best location with housing estates on one side and industrial area's on the other with large concrete, tarmac grounds and galvanized roofs.

Advertisement