Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prime wheelsets?

Options
  • 14-08-2021 12:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have any experience of Prime wheelsets?

A club mate is selling a set of RR50 v3 (rim brake) that I am considering.

Or is there anything else that you would recommend for rim brakes, around 40mm, tubeless ready?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭fat bloke

The only pair I ever saw in real life were black edition 28's. They were gorgeous looking wheels and super super light.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I have a set of Prime RP-38s. These were the original Prime carbon wheels. At the time C.R.C. had two 38mm wheel sets. The RPs were a bit more expensive and had straight pull spokes, the less expensive had J spokes. I bought them in August 2017. They were my best wheels for a couple of years. They are now the everyday wheels on my good bike. This year, I have done about 7,000kms on them. I replaced the hub bearings on them about three years ago, which is an easy and cheap job. There is no visible brake wear on them and they are still perfectly true. I can't remember their exact weight, but they are light.

I did have an issue with them at the beginning. I had problems using tubeless tyres, which was caused by the supplied rim tape.

Overall, I would recommend the wheels. For me the ultimate deciding factor was C.R.C.'s warranty policy.

Edit.

I've just checked. they weigh 1360 grammes without skewers or rim tape.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,898 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I've the dsic version..never been on my bike though, but look nice

• Registered Users Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Thanks for the replies, I think I will order the 38mm in the next few days, unless something more interesting pops up in advance second hand (or they tell me the will do the 499 tubeless promotion any time soon)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

Why are you thinking of ordering the 38s instead of your friends 50s?

I have looked on wiggle a few times at these wheels, was tempted by the black edition but think they are discontinued now, and like everything prices are holding up strong.

Do you know how much your friend is looking for and if they are in good condition?

Not looking for a set of wheels myself but sure who doesn't need an extra set of deep section wheels heading into autumn /winter!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Because he sold them yesterday during my hesitation. He was looking for 500 including a pair of tires. The 38s are 599 new when in stock so not much of a difference and I'd like to have the warranty directly from Wiggle

Advertisement