Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2017 MacBook Pro logic board

Options
  • 22-04-2021 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭

My MacBook Pro started randomly shutting down and not powering up.

The Apple Store has said the logic board needs replacing at a cost of £469.

I asked about goodwill with the machine being less than 4 years old but was told there is none.

Has anyone managed to get a replacement under EU consumer law or managed to gets third party repair?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Bought fromApple Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭jeepcj

ATC110 wrote: »
    My MacBook Pro started randomly shutting down and not powering up.

The Apple Store has said the logic board needs replacing at a cost of £469.

I asked about goodwill with the machine being less than 4 years old but was told there is none.

Has anyone managed to get a replacement under EU consumer law or managed to gets third party repair?

I was in a similar situation with my 2018, just over 2 years old and the screen failed. Tried to go the EU Consumer law and was told that because i didn't purchase it from apple directly I would have to claim against the store that I bought it from who was currys/pc world, they were no help and said it was apples problem. apple quoted me 710 for a new screen, got it replaced at max burns for 450.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Red Hare

I got a logic board replaced by Apple years ago .That is because someone told me that the logic board has a known fault.

If you can find out if the logic board has a known fault then the under EU consumer law , if you ring apple in cork , and be strong about it being a known fault then they might replace - that is what I did.

I bought that mac from apple website.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 jimboroony

I have a 2019 16” MacBook Pro. Bought it directly from Apple. Recently it just shutdown and wouldn’t reboot. It would not boot to any type of utilities tools and was stuck in a startup loop. I went to Compu B in Cork, a reseller. They wanted to charge me to look at it and that it would be a paid repair. The machine was 27 months old, no applecare +. I declined their offer. He priced a logic board replacement at over 1k. He suspected it was the logic board from my description of the symptoms.

I rang apple and looked for a senior advisor/tier 2 advisor. After explaining to him that I wanted my 27 month old machine repaired by apple free of charge and I wanted to initiate a claim under Irish Consumer Law, he said that it wasn’t possible. He sent me a link to a website for some ombudsman complaint for Europe?

I was furious but kept my cool. I left it a few days and called again and looked for a senior advisor. This time I said I felt that the first guy didn’t listen or understand my position. I re explained and she said she would call me back the next day.

Sure enough, a day later another supervisor rang me and subsequently sent out a repair box and I had my device repaired. And rightly so. They said initially because I didn’t report the issue within 24 months that they can’t carry out a repair under Irish consumer law. I wouldn’t expect a MacBook Pro costing €3600 to turn into a pile of scrap metal after 27 months and explained that I can only report a problem when it presents.

Anyway, I got a satisfactory result but it cost me time, stress and energy. They really can put you through the ringer. Stand fast and keep pestering them and you’ll see results!

Advertisement