Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Website making Irish phone number and address available

• 20-07-2021 9:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Raising awareness of another tool you might need to protect yourself against, that seems to contain leaked address and phone numbers, might be of use to people in the security space to be aware of it.

https://www.locatefamily.com/index.html

My full address and an old phone number are in there and I can see some of my neighbours numbers in there too and they appear correct.

If you spot your details in there it might make it easier for someone to know the number of a device you use for 2 factor auth or a street address that might be used to confirm identity for online banking etc

The takedown policy on the site seems to require you to give them an email address, which is a little bit sketchy in itself. Just highlighting it as there appears to be a bunch of details of Irish addresses / numbers in there, it may have came from a recent leak.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭nullObjects

Meant to post an example:

https://www.locatefamily.com/Street-Lists/Ireland/index-200.html

Could be scraped very easily by those robocallers or whatever as well

• Registered Users Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭blackbox

Isn't this just the information that was available in old phone books?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭nullObjects

As in it's just a directory of mobile numbers whereas the old phonebook was landlines?

Yeah I guess that's a good comparison, think you could unlist your number from the phone book if you wanted though

Maybe it's just me but I'm not a fan of having all the info presented like that for scraping

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The phone book contained mobile numbers in the mid 90s but this is clearly newer than that.

There's a chance its from one of the private credit reference agencies used for things like mobile contracts and hire purchase in shops but its a very random selection of coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

some of the details are very old the one is 10 years out of date there are a couple I think are 20 years out of date.

might that suggest different sources

• Advertisement

Seems they've 110,319 Irish names, addresses and phone numbers.

GDPR complaint mightn't be the worst idea but likely unenforceable as they're not in the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

GDPR is enforceable world wide. You just have to fight for your rights. Irish DPC is particularly business friendly, unfortunately.

Advertisement