Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PC gone mad

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

My PC went mad once - I had to reboot it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,980 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Whatever you think of the initial story, he was a complete moron for volunteering to tell it publicly in 2021 and thinking there wouldn't be any backlash against him.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Big Gerry

You can't say anything these days without getting in trouble with the PC police.

Remember only a few years ago Liam Lesson was accused of being a "racist".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

He's 50 and he did not know that word is a homophobic insult? And his daughter had to write a letter to tell him to stop using it

I think some people are so rich and famous they become isolated from reality and celebs have no need to talk to ordinary people

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Have you tried turning it off then on again?

• Advertisement

It seems the full story here is that Damon used the word while telling a joke. And the emotional distress of merely hearing the word caused his daughter to run off and start writing a letter to her own father on the subject. Which he is somehow proud of?

I think if my daughter did anything such thing I would be going back to basics with her because I clearly failed in my intentions and goals when I was bringing her up and educating her.

I tell my children that all words have power. And they have power due to the context and intention in which they are used. No words have more power than any other - but some words make it incumbent upon us to be more cognizant of the contexts we are using them in. But words coming from a place of love, empathy, humour - have a different power than the same words coming from a place of judgement, hate, bigotry or malice.

And I have told them of many examples of such words - and given them examples of context. Like how many Black People happily go around calling each other ****. And I can use that exact word while telling a joke - or I can sit loudly listening to the latest episode of Joe Rogan where he is talking to Ms. Pat and the entire interview is simply littered with that exact word - without my daughter flouncing off to write a treatise because her emotional sensibilities are so inflamed at merely hearing the sound of it.

So I do not think it is an accurate summary of events here to suggest Damon got to 50 without realising one given word is a slur. Rather he managed to get to 50 before the "Jump to offence at every given opportunity PC thought police brigade" managed to break him down and start thinking that he needs to retire any given word from every single context and every single use and to feel like he is any less of an ethical and moral human being simply because that sound ever dared cross his lips for any reason at all.

I myself will keep using that word and all the others - if the context permits and requires and allows it - and if I deem it to be the best choice of word in that context. And if a joke I happen to be telling relies on such a word racial, sexual, or otherwise - then I will not let some PC botherers on Twitter make me remotely feel like I need to knee cap my own joke. And if it is a good joke and my 11 year old girl tells it to someone else - that's good too.

Poor media reporting though. You'd think they would at least have found out what the joke was so we would know if the joke was any good or not. Seems a better idea to me to lambast him for telling a bad joke - rather than the words in the joke. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Install antivirus, adblock and antimalware. And stop going to those dodgy websites.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭markw7

So telling a joke now equates with hatred/prejudice? Jesus feckin wept, nice to see all those ass-hats piling on in the article showing us all how virtuous they are.

Post edited by markw7 on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

• Registered Users Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

You can't say anything these days without getting in trouble with the PC police.

Saying PC Police is like saying ATM Machine, or PPSN Number.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

No it's not. The P in PC doesn't stand for Police in this instance. Politically Correct Police is not the same as Automated Teller Machine Machine or Personal Public Service Number Number

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

You can't even call someone a f*ggot these days. What's the world coming to? Sure X person used to do it back when homophobia was all the rage!

What next? Can't even call a black fella a n*gger! Sure i've seen loads of films of 18th century America. They said it all the time.

PEE CEE GOOOWN MAAAAADDDD!!!!!!!

^ That would be my point. You can of course refer to people using those words. But that entirely and wholly depends on context and intent. Context and intent give words their meaning and power.

The issue I see with the PC Brigades of Vicarious Offence is they are too keen to give the words in and of themselves that power. And once that derangement starts then it seems to go down hill from there.

So if my daughter came to me with the essay Damon's did I would likely - given I have not read it so this is guesswork - be sending her back to re-work it. :-)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,805 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Some people call it being Politically Correct. I call it not being a ****.

I also find that people that think things are overly PC are people that don't like being confronted with that fact that their own thoughts and actions are that of a ****.

How about trying to be nice and not a dick. Or not calling someone a f*ggot as a personal slur (blah, blah, blah Bob Geldoff, it's part of a song with fictional characters, not a personal attack). If you follow those rules you don't need to worry about the world being overly PC.

There's definitely a middle ground. But it's a little thin here.

A joke is a joke in a lot of cases. But a joke doesn't absolve everything. It depends on the joke and the context. If the punchline was "Because he's a f*ggot" then that's one context where it's not nice to use the word.

But the OP is quite obviously advocating for being able to use the word in a non-joke sense, hence his Bob Geldof reference.

I actually can't think of a scenario in a joke where "f*ggot" wouldn't be an abusive word. Maybe if we knew the joke we could gain more context.

It's not "PC gone mad" to be asked to not abuse someone based on their sexual orientation.

I agree with this. The word does not hold the power, it is the context which holds the power.

However, we don't know the full context here as we don't know the joke. And I can't think of a single instance in a joke where the word "f*ggot" would not be used as an insult. I've heard many jokes with that word and not a single time has the joke not been negative towards gay people.

You're right to have an issue with "the PC Brigades of Vicarious Offence" of course. But we should try not to let our criticism of them bleed into defence of people who will pretend to give out about PC culture just because they want an excuse to be able to discriminate against groups of people they don't like

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭MoonUnit75

This isn’t PC, this is wokeness. PC meant you corrected the person and asked them not to use the word anymore. Wokeness means you must let as many people as possible know that you have detected blasphemy or a blasphemer and then stigmatise them or ex-communicate them and anyone else who might sympathise with or explain the actions of the blasphemer. No apology is accepted, it’s just confirmation that the strongest possible actions against you were absolutely justified.

Matt Damon is just trying to head off the inevitable.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,805 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You can call people calling out **** behaviour as woke. Doesn't change that fact that the person being called out is still an arsehole.

Arseholes love to hide behind the word woke.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

I don't know why it's referred to as being politically correct. Most politicians have a mouth on them as dirty as a pig farmer's boot.

Sure - but similarly just calling someone out does not magically mean they are or ever were an arsehole either. The requirement to show on what basis they deserve to be called one would still remain. And that simply has not been done here yet in the case of the Actor in question.

So I would agree with a phrase like "Arseholes love to hide behind the word woke." but I would add "Other arseholes also love to hide behind others having used a word like woke".

At the end of the day the people to not be dismissed like tantrum children are the ones who stop hiding - express a position - and explain the basis for why they think that position is valid. Think someone is an arsehole? Let's actively hear why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Sofa King Great

I am confused - I thought we loved Matt Damon because he has a shopping bag from super valu. Now we are saying we hate him because he previously used a derogatory term in his own home?

Let me know what everyone decides and I'll jump on the appropriate band wagon

Hah never heard of Super Valu in relationship to him. Know bugger all about the guy myself. He was on Hot Ones this week though which I do always watch and he seemed - well entirely normal and fairly likeable. And that's pretty much all I know about the guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭HerrKapitan

Not one thanks yet!? Hang in there buddy, you'll get one soon I'm sure.

Ah right. Meh :) The irish do like when famous people from abroad show any kind of Irish connection. It's endearing as a trait really. But other than that it does nothing from me. So whether it is a celebrity carrying an Irish Shopping bag - or a US President climbing out of a helicopter holding a hurley and ball and giving it a thwack before going to have a Guinness - it gives us Irish a little jolt of endorphines and pleasure.

Wouldn't jump on any "Band Wagon" because of it. But it's pleasant to see all the same. And sure it humanizes them too. Hollywood celebrities are a distant other species for many of us. So seeing one walk around with something as Mundane and down to earth as a shopping bag from a local shop - it can really jump start a "one of us" emotion. And actually a lot of these Woke Crusades against such Actors probably involve forgetting to humanize the people in question.

The story strikes me as pretty "plug and play". If you deleted Matt Damon and inserted anyone else like Nicholas Cage - little would change. It's like the story is more about the bag than the man. As such I do not see the "band wagon" to which you refer really. The story is one of a mundane bag meeting the hollywood elite. The particular person it was is at best incidental I would say?

Wokeness definitely exists, but writing this off as "woke" really diminishes your argument. There's every chance here that the use of the word "f*ggot" was actually in a hateful context, even if used inside a joke. If he now realises this and wants to change his behaviour, he should be praised for it, not criticised.

The question to you though is this: do you consider it "woke" for someone to disagree with words like "f*ggot" or "n*gger" being used in a hateful way?

I think the idea that "maths is racist" is PC gone mad. This is now becoming a common view in the US woke brigade. What do you think?

Jokes are weird in the sense of "hateful context" though. While it might seem a subtle difference - there is a massive difference between a joke or a specific word inside a joke being used to be hateful - and the joke or the word being predicated on the notion that the target is hateful or abhorrent.

Put another way - a joke being predicated on a stereotype or concept - even a hateful stereotype or concept - allows us to see the humour in that joke without for one minute requiring the teller or the listener to actively buy into that concept. Humour tends to stem from the human mind connecting disparate concepts in ways it might not have connected them before. Even if the concepts themselves are absolute nonsense.

So I can tell jokes predicated on the stupidity of Kerry men - the miserliness of Jews - the tendency of black people to shoot each other - or the predatory promiscuous nature of homosexuals without for one single solitary moment buying into the notion that any of those people actually have any of those attributes. And in fact the opposite is true. My knowing that they are ridiculous and unfounded stereotypes frees me up to enjoy the humour more so than otherwise.

So when a news paper article merely tells me that one single word - was used in one single joke - basically the news paper article has told me nothing at all. Certainly nothing upon which to make any moral or ethical conclusions about the person telling the joke or their levels of any actual bigotry. As I said - any reporter worth their salt would have before anything else whatsoever - tried to find out what the joke was. Without it - there is no story here.

Not sure what this has to do with Matt Damon. Unless you've just watched Good Will Hunting?

• Advertisement

What do I think? I think what you've written is the dumbest piece of whattaboutery I've ever read.

Advertisement