Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Transfer of ownership query

Options
  • 12-08-2021 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭

Hi

Have a car registered to me, valid nct and tax

Family member paid for it and now wants to sell

Any issue with transferring ownnersy to them and selling immediately, don't want it in my name in case of any issues after sale

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Should be no issue with this at all. Once in their name, they can do what they want with the car... it is their property 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 21,497 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I bought and sold a car recently before I even got the logbook in my name. Prior seller wouldnt give me the book, so I had to add myself and sell it on as another owher.

No issues

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭Buffman

As long as you don't mind adding an extra owner with a very short ownership period to the car there's no issue. It might possibly have an impact on a newer cars value. If it's a private sale there won't be any issues anyway as it's buyer beware.

The seller should never hand over the book for a private sale though. That's asking for a world of trouble with unpaid M50 tolls or Guards knocking on your door asking why your car was used in a crime etc. Best way to do it is buyer and seller post the filled in book together. No stamp necessary for it either.

If you meant the seller wouldn't even show you the book then you should walk away.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

As long as your relative can be trusted to get the cert signed by the byuer and immediately post it off then there is no need to transfer it to them.

If they are the sort of flute that would just hand over the cert even if you tell them not to or not bother sending it on after the sale then yes, best to transfer the car to their name now and let them get on with it.

• Advertisement

Buyer beware and all that but I don't want anyone bothering me after the sale

Or runniy up points before th transfer

• Registered Users Posts: 81,340 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Transfer it to them whether they like it or not, you can sign the document on their behalf, after that they can do as they please. Out of interest how did they possibly insure it?

It's registered to me I'm driving it but they gave the cash to buy it

• Registered Users Posts: 81,340 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Then no worries, I'd try to get a rough agreed offload date where you can move on and they know they are taking it and you then move on to something else.

Advertisement