Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Flaring hard steel brake line

Options
  • 12-08-2021 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Need to put a flare on a steel brake line. Got a new tool to do it but it isn't working on the car. The alternative for me is to drop the tank out of the car and replace the line (rear brake line).

Isa there anything I can try first to put the flare onto the steel pipe - I'm guessing that as it is old pipe original to the car that is it old and hardened with time.

I cut the line with a pipe cutter and then use the tool, but it is not flaring the end. Everything is clamped down tight so I can't see what is going wrong.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭dooroy

Does the new tool state that it is suitable for steel pipes ? Many are not it appears.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭mk7r

Most of the decent tools will easily do steel lines

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭dooroy

There are quite a range available - 'decent' usually means more expensive and harder to justify for a 'one off' job.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭mk7r

Flaring brake pipes is not an area to skimp on tools

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Brand new recognised brand. Got it done in the end easily enough - I read that using a pipe cutter hardens the pipe so I cut with a saw and it flared perfectly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Lines are replaced and brakes now bled and working.

Next issue is some rust and collapsed jack point :

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Stoolbend

For future reference, if the pipe is slipping in the tool you can put some chalk dust on the tool and pipe to help grip it.

Advertisement